Lou Reed - Rock 'N' Roll Animal

Just had to add my 2cents here.....I was never a big Lou Reed fan but always loved this classic live album!!! Had it on "RCA Dynaflex" vinyl. Remember this? You could practiacally bend the album in half and it wouldn't break!
The version of Rock & Roll on this album is just amazing! The guitar solo break in the middle of the song is like nothing I've ever heard before..or since!....(At least I think it's a guitar :scratch2: )
I've got to get the remastered CD w/ the bonus tracks!
Definitely one of those albums that must be played LOUD!!!
Tim

I saw the band without Lou, live in Chicago. I was in the 11th. grade. They were Alice Cooper's band, on his welcome to my nightmare tour. They were killer. Went to Chicago to see Zappa, and when we got there, it was Cooper and Suzi Quatro playing. Still a very fine concert.

Lou Reed - Strawman Lyrics
We who have so much to you who have so little
to you who don't have anything at all
We who have so much more than any one man does need
and you who don't have anything at all, ah
Does anybody need another million dollar movie
does anybody need another million dollar star
Does anybody need to be told over and over
spitting in the wind comes back at you twice as hard

Strawman, going straight to the devil
Strawman, going straight to hell
Strawman, Strawman
Strawman, Strawman, yes

Does anyone really need a billion dollar rocket
does anyone need a $60,000 car
Does anyone need another President
or the sins of Swaggart parts 6, 7, 8, and 9, ah
Does anyone need another politician
caught with his pants down money sticking in his hole
Does anyone need another racist preacher
spittin' in the wind can only do you harm, wow

Strawman, Strawman
Strawman, Strawman

Does anyone need another faulty shuttle
blasting off to the Moon, Venus or Mars
Does anyone need another self-righteous rock and roll singer
whose nose he says has led him straight to God
Does anyone need yet another blank skyscraper
If you're like me I'm sure a minor miracle will do
A flaming sword or maybe a gold ark floating up the Hudson
When you spit in the wind it comes right back at you

Strawman, Strawman, Strawman
Strawman, Strawman

Enjoyed reading your review of this great album. I have the original LP. I think most live LP's sound mediocre at best. This one sounds great. With a feeling that the concert is in your room. Not off in the distance somewhere between the speakers like most live albums sound. I have another live Lou Reed LP that has different songs than RRA but it sounds like the same concert. The album is called "Lou Reed Live". It said it was recorded at the Howard Stein Academy of Music also. The album does not sound as good as RRA but a couple songs have some great guitar work. Thanks again!

mako,
That's correct.The portions of the night were distributed across two albums.Rock and Roll Animal and Lou Reed Live.
My favourite is Rock and Roll Animal.Sounds great on your first teenage stereo and awesome on your killer system.
If the music sounds flat,there's something fundamentally wrong with the system.

big lou reed fan

actually, i'm a huge lou reed fan. but i don't have this release.

for those who might be swayed to thinking otherwise, these 70's lps of his are also wonderful:

the bells
coney island baby - my ex girlfriend in sf would often make me think of the song on this album about 'she made jam when she came . . ' cuz . . . well, i thought it was a VU song (maybe it was originally, i still can't find it. nor can i think of the name of the song) and yeah, in agreement w/ the above posts about the great guitars - i luv 'em. in my teens i was a skateboarder and into (mostly bad) punk. most of my friends hate classic rock; some of my ex friends from those days liked some classic rock until befriending people who influenced them not to like 'old' stuff. anyway, i'm one of those people who have, when young, gotten all high-and-mighty about 'regular' people getting into 'alternative' after nirvana hit mtv. er, actually, i wasn't as bad, i got to date a cheerleader on whom i had always had a crush. anyway, i have things like nils lofgren on my list of cds to check out, but a lot of that 70's rock stuff doesn't do it for me. the searing guitars on songs like 'ooh, baby' make me crazy. not that there isn't dull 'weirdo' music - 95% of the solo music done by gastr del sol, anyone? but i believe jim o'rourke makes a lot of that stuff w/ his tongue in his cheek.
street hassle
sally can't dance
berlin
and yeah, there's 'transformer', too. i don't listen to that one much anymore

but when i moved into my new home and can now for the first time in a long time listen to music LOUD AS HE)) AT 4AM, the first thing i put on was street hassle.

used to have all of those on vinyl. i'd get them for $.50 - $2 at the record exchange. nobody else knew anything but transformer and the VU stuff. stupidly, i sold them when i got rid of all my vinyl except for a smattering of 7"s. oh, i used to have some 12" of his that was for a soundtrack w/ some 80's actress who's name escapes me at the moment - 'funky hot hips'

and sure, he's an a++h))=. almost the entirety of john cale's autobiography is a diatribe against reed, but he is responsible for so much great music.

p.s. my least favorite thing about having moved back to cleveland - almost everywhere i go has 80's HITS playing. ugh! a few years ago when i visited friends in manhattan, i was suprised at the bland music played in many establishments. williamsburg was different. does everyplace but SF have a generally boring soundtrack

Is there a particular item number/code number for the remastered version we're talking about here?

And hey, I agree totally about the guitarists on this record. Outstanding. Thinking of them caused me to think of another question that's been floating around in my head -- "My Sharona" by The Knack. Ever listen to the guitar solo in the long version? I can't believe that's being played by the band's guitarist. Anyone know if some studio pro did this?

One of my all time favorites too - bought this when it came out. Looking forward to picking up the remastered CD based on feedback here,

I didn't know till this last year that it was basically Mott the Hoople backing him up. Did Bowie have something to do with that combo? I know he helped Mott get on track.

Guitar into is awesome in itself. Then Sweat Jane is better than the original. How are the extra tracks on new CD?

LOU Reed Rock and Roll animal

I bought the LP long ago, and always thought this was one of the best live albums I ever owned. I hadn't listened in a long time and dragged it out about 6 months ago, and I still think it is awesome.
The Sweet Jane Intro is amazing, and rock and roll is another rocker.
I also have the CD.
When ever someone new comes over who likes Lou Reed, and even those who think they don't, I always play this for them and they love it.

This is a real good album for some air guitar as well.

Is there a particular item number/code number for the remastered version we're talking about here?

And hey, I agree totally about the guitarists on this record. Outstanding. Thinking of them caused me to think of another question that's been floating around in my head -- "My Sharona" by The Knack. Ever listen to the guitar solo in the long version? I can't believe that's being played by the band's guitarist. Anyone know if some studio pro did this?

Off topic, but the guitar solo is played by Knack lead guitarist Berton Averre, and it is a great solo. By the way, Get the Knack is a great album. It doesn't get much respect (who cares) but its a power pop classic. Many very good cuts, beyond "My Sharona" and "Good Girls Don't"

coney island baby - my ex girlfriend in sf would often make me think of the song on this album about 'she made jam when she came . . ' cuz . . . well, i thought it was a VU song (maybe it was originally, i still can't find it. nor can i think of the name of the song)

Yes, it IS a VU song, titled, "She's My Best Friend" and is found on the VU compilation known as...well..."VU."

used to have all of those on vinyl. i'd get them for $.50 - $2 at the record exchange. nobody else knew anything but transformer and the VU stuff. stupidly, i sold them when i got rid of all my vinyl except for a smattering of 7"s. oh, i used to have some 12" of his that was for a soundtrack w/ some 80's actress who's name escapes me at the moment - 'funky hot hips'

RECORD EXCHANGE!! Down on Coventry or out on Mayfield? The one on Mayfield changed to "CD & Game Exchange" before closing up shop for good. The one on Coventry is mostly games/DVDs now...and Record Revolution is trying to sell new stuff for $20 a pop. It had to revert to a head shop in the front! They got rid of the drug paraphernalia that back in the mid-80's!! Sadly, i really don't see that place hanging around for another 10 years. It will go the way of the Coventry Street Fair and disappear w/ its insane prices and wall of bootleg videos. Oh, and overpriced vinyl in the basement.

Oh, and you are thinkin' about Perfect...where Travolta and Jamie Lee Curtis make a little romance and then make YOU wanna ralph!

I only read the first line and the last. That's all you need to know.

One of the great live rock albums ever made. I still have the cassette from when I was in high school and i still listen to it.

That rhythm guitar jam halfway through Rock 'n' Roll is simply amazing.

Quote:
The sound quality is a quantum leap from the LP pressings and original CD I have.

Thats a bold statement :) could you give some details on the differences please.. I normally tend to avoid anything that is labeled as a remaster. I usually end up being disapointed.

One of my top three albums

I bought the LP when it first came out and saw the concert show in Houston. When I want to feel young I play this album and the years melt away.

Rock ON!

velvet underground has always been my favorite band. i have had this R&R LP for at least 20 years. I have always hated it. Something about it just got on my nerves. Maybe because I always hated Lou's versions of VU songs without the VU. But, its been about 10 years since I put it on. Tonight I think I will put the needle on the record and give it another shot..perhaps I will now love it

--I have an original vinyl copy and I recall it sounding quite harsh and muddy...that may be another reason it turned me off

velvet underground has always been my favorite band. i have had this R&R LP for at least 20 years. I have always hated it. Something about it just got on my nerves. Maybe because I always hated Lou's versions of VU songs without the VU. But, its been about 10 years since I put it on. Tonight I think I will put the needle on the record and give it another shot..perhaps I will now love it

--I have an original vinyl copy and I recall it sounding quite harsh and muddy...that may be another reason it turned me off

It seems that you are aware of why you don't like Rock N Roll Animal.
It isn't Velvet Underground Album. :no:

Consider though,that Lou Reed wrote these songs, words and music,so in that respect they aren't "VU songs",they are Reed songs which were originally performed by the VU.That kinda gives him a right to perform them with whomever he wishes,whichever way suited him.

I'd never heard any VU,until years after this album was released.What shocked me when I finally heard them,was how much early 'Punk',had ripped-them off.That would get on my nerves more,than Lou doing different versions of his own songs.
This is a great album.

yea i get that. i love lou reed. i have all of his records...i must admit though, that i love the VU for the sum of their parts and not just because lou is in the band or wrote the songs or sung. love sterling, love maureen, love nico, love cale

the VU brought me to lou way back when i was 13 and i had first fallen in love with the VU "sound"....when i would reach for an LP, i would easily pass up R&R for a VU LP.

early punk having "ripped-off" or been influenced by VU doesnt bother me a bit. If it were not for the VU, there may never have been an Iggy & the Stooges and i love them dearly

now, since im home from work, ill toss on the R&R and see how i like it all these years later

i still listen to the VU on a weekly basis after 24 years of heavy listening

I think I remember the print ad for this when it was being released. It was a picture of the album cover with the sub-title "It's A Bitch." Also, maybe someone can clear up the confusion of my memory about this rekkid- I could have sworn the original release was a double album. Can anyone either set me straight or confirm?

Back
Top Bottom