Lou Reed - Rock 'N' Roll Animal

Great thread, lot's of good background info. For me this album takes me back to college, SUNY @ New Paltz back in the late 70's and early 80's. If any of you have been there, and I think some of you have, you know what an interesting place it was back then. :yes:
Anyway there was this bar, Bacchus, that used to play this album routinely and at high volume. It was quite a trip to see a hundred + kids playing air guitar and singing along to "Sweet Jane." Thanks for the memories. :D

While I didn't attend New Paltz I knew all about it. Grew up in Croton and made a few trips up there.

Not to steal this thread - but did you ever hear about the Timothy Leary connection in Poughkeepsie? Some of the best LSD ever made came out of that area.

They talk about it in a book about the Beatles. The Beatles got a load of this high quality blotter acid from the Tim Leary group. It was very high grade.

I agree hole heartedly it is his best album. And to think he made such a stink about the band steeling the show. Artists can be fickle thats for sure.

I use to also like Sally Can't dance album - rather 8-track in my '70 Camaro. Great period for Rock and Roll!!!

I just played the album once more :music:. I also love the 2nd album a lot. Whereas the my vinyl copy of 'Life' sounded much brighter than RRA, now the wonderfully remastered RRA sounds much brighter. Maybe a bit too bright. On 'Life'. The cymbals, Lou's voice, the applause, everything sounds a bit nasal. I think it never has been digitally remastered. My prayers go to that this will ever happen.

Poor Lou. He couldn't handle all the attention for Steve and Dick. Whereas he is doing an amazing act.

I love the combination of his rough and tender side. In the RRA concert the rough side excels like I hardly ever heard. The raw screaming in Lady Day, Waiting for the man and Vicious still touch me deeply. I am writing a book on how to deal with negativity in life. In the chapter 'revolting against the terror of the positive' I call this screaming 'giving voice to ages of repression and frustration'.

Sure the band did an absolute awesome job. For me the real power of the concert is Lou.

I also love the way they did it PRIOR to the R&R Animal performances (or was this after). This Paris show with a slightly-different lineup is pure funk (Lou was looking well there :rolleyes: That's a dangerous game he was playing back in those days). https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Uc26EFI1_nw

By the way, that mid '80's RCA/Victor pressing is actually quite-good. Mine sounds great and tracks beautifully. Perfectly-centered. Nothing wrong with the old Dynaflex 1st pressing as far as the mastering is concerned.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom