Loud, Bassy noise when volume is turned up

EVILSTANK

Threw on a record tonight, turned the volume up and suddenly this loud, extremely bassy hum/buzz sound overtook the right channel, turned back down and it went away. I have changed absolutely nothing about my set up, everything is in the exact same place, nothing has been messed with. I check all the headshell wires, made sure they're extra tight, checked the ground on my turntable too. Checked if the amp was doing it with any of the other inputs, everything was normal, fm, aux, everything sounded fine. What the hell has happened?

Marantz 2226B
Technics sl-1700 mk2
AT120E
Sumiko headshell leads

Feedback would be prime suspect. :idea:
I just came across a tip in the threads that said to gently lift up on the turntable as its playing, not to lift it up off the table but just put a little upwards pressure on it. Guess, what, it went away! Let off and it came back. Did it a few times just to verify it wasn't the joint I just smoked. Anyways I did recently get a new table for my gear to sit on, I guess I haven't been playing any music loud enough to get that horrible sound until now although I could swear that I've cranked it up since I've gotten the new table with no problems. Hmmm.

Would you suggest some dampening feet maybe? Or a dampening platform?

Then again, why would it only be coming out the right channel? Could you explain what the cause of this feedback could be?

That specific channel is associated with stylus riding in the inside/outside of the groove and just happens to correlate with those channel wires on the cartridge? I dunno. How about a pic of the setup with the proximity of the speakers?

Then again, why would it only be coming out the right channel? Could you explain what the cause of this feedback could be?
More than likely if you let it keep going, or even went louder, the left channel would join in.

The main reason for acoustic feedback is the turntable is too close to one or both speakers. You don't have the 'table on a speaker, right?

More than likely if you let it keep going, or even went louder, the left channel would join in.

The main reason for acoustic feedback is the turntable is too close to one or both speakers. You don't have the 'table on a speaker, right?
You know what my turntable is fairly close to the right speaker, probably 2 feet away from it I'd say. I will move it farther away and see if that helps. I just don't understand why it's all of a sudden a problem, never happened before. Thanks for the help guys!

You know what my turntable is fairly close to the right speaker, probably 2 feet away from it I'd say. I will move it farther away and see if that helps. I just don't understand why it's all of a sudden a problem, never happened before. Thanks for the help guys!

Because when you changed the table you changed the natural frequency of the system, resonance points, etc.

Because when you changed the table you changed the natural frequency of the system, resonance points, etc.

Spot on! Quick test, play a record and lightly rap on the table with your knuckles. It'll tell you.
Cool thanks guys, that has to be it. I bought one of those Ikea Kallax shelf things, they look nice but they aren't very solid. Is there a dampening platform or dampening feet you guys would recommend?

I used to use a 16x16" porcelain tile, prior to isolating my TT away from the speakers.

vibrapodtop.jpg

I used to use a 16x16" porcelain tile, prior to isolating my TT away from the speakers.
I sold my Pilot 654MA tonight so I changed my set up and moved my turntable farther away from my speakers. Solved my problem! Thanks again for the help.

I came across these earlier in the forums, looked them up and everyone seems to really like them. They have great reviews on amazon and a great price too. I'm going to get the model 2's, even though I solved my problem by moving my turntable I'm always looking for ways to improve the sound of my gear.

They work great, if you look close you can see them under my KD500 in my sig pic. They work great under CD players too. I also have them under the amps in my main setup, they really help squash any vibration transmitted through stands, tables, etc.

20151116_191359 (1).jpg

Hockey is big around here--at all levels (kids through adults), so there is an abundance of used hockey pucks that I can get for free--great for isolators.

Hockey is big around here--at all levels (kids through adults), so there is an abundance of used hockey pucks that I can get for free--great for isolators.

What are hockey pucks made of? Before you laugh, remember that hockey isn't big around here. I don't believe I've ever seen a hockey puck in person.

What are hockey pucks made of? Before you laugh, remember that hockey isn't big around here. I don't believe I've ever seen a hockey puck in person.

Hockey pucks are made of vulcanized rubber. They are extremely hard while in play because they are stored frozen and remain frozen because they are played on (duh) ice. But at room temperature, they are slightly pliable and great for absorbing vibration. They are 3" in diameter and 1' thick, so great for under TTs and amps.

BTW--Florida has two NHL teams--the Florida Panthers, and the Tampa Bay Lightning. The Florida Everblades is the AA/minor league franchise.

Back
Top Bottom