Loud music & pets

MKG

Elvish-mark’d abortive, rooting hog
Has anyone had a pet have an adverse reaction to loud music? I know that their hearing is far more sensitive than us lowly humans and I want to make sure I’m not hurting them. I haven’t had a pet react negatively to loud music thus far, but I’m concerned with long term effects. Currently I have a house full of cats as well as some foster kittens and none react in the slightest when I turn the volume up. Even if they’re sitting in front of the speaker or on it they don’t react- so maybe I’m just being overly concerned. God forbid I bring the vacuum out though, they sure as hell react to that.
I used to have a corgi who seemed to love it when I’d turn the music up- she’d back her butt up to the woofer and fall asleep. I think she liked the free butt massage. It drove me crazy but she was old and it made her happy so I just made sure that only speakers I didn’t care about were on ground level.

We have two cats, they never seem to react at all to music, but nature sounds and videos of birds, squirrels, and other similar will sometimes get them going. :)

Reactions: MKG
Two of my dogs leave the room when the music gets too loud. The other one doesn’t seem to mind that much. The two that leave the room for loud music are also the ones who hide in the closet during thunderstorms and the 4th of July.

I think if your animals are bothered by the volume they would instinctually try to get away.

I have a very lively excited dog that enjoys pleasant music... will fall asleep or totally relax listening to Chet Atkins, Patty Page, Eddy Arnold doing lounge music, or gentle melodic music like Johnny Horton's 'Whispering Pines'.. some gospel music like Elvis doing 'In the Garden', stuff like that. Loud 'noisy' music he seems to ignore, like it isn't even there... sometimes if there's an unusual sound in the song he'll give a few moments attention but that's about it.

A friend used to leave her yellow lab Buddy with me when she went travelling. He always seemed content no matter what I was listening to, Except once, when I was playing KD Lang, he got up and left the room maybe 30 seconds into the first track. Before KD Lang, I had on Uriah Heep - Salisbury and Buddy was happy as a clam.

A friend used to leave her yellow lab Buddy with me when she went travelling. He always seemed content no matter what I was listening to, Except once, when I was playing KD Lang, he got up and left the room maybe 30 seconds into the first track. Before KD Lang, I had on Uriah Heep - Salisbury and Buddy was happy as a clam.

I'm with Buddy. :)

Our pets, especially certain canine breeds and most cats, likely hear elements in the playback that our (comparitively) limited human autal senses misse altogether. They might be enjoying the tunes (sounds) more, or if not more, then in ways in which we are incapable. Just a hunch.

^^ I realize this response does not address their response to "loudness" ^^

On this matter I'm in agreement w/ the member who wrote that said animal(s) would likely "leave the scene" if the volume of "the sound" is excessive to said animal(s).

P.S. Think about the impact on poor little (and/or large) birdies who are trapped in a cage and unable to move to a different room/location. I am reminded of a situation @ my grandmother's "music room", in which she had, among other instruments, a Hammond C3 played out via a big 'ol Leslie "360 deg" rotataing speaker, and she'd play this sucker LOUD, especially Gospel (and @ times Soul) numbers during which she also sang nearly as LOUD. All the while she had a pair of canaries, locked in a cage, in that room. Oh, The Humanity!

My black lab (RIP) used to be fine with loud analog, but would go scratch at the back door to get out if I turned up a CD. I saw that as confirmation of my preference from superior ears.

I have a GSD (German Shepherd Dog)--and one before him too. Both would/will leave the room if the volume level gets too loud, but I'm not sure if it is due to the SPL or the simple fact that they can no longer "monitor" sounds from other rooms or outside the house. I own a construction company, so both had/have been around loud environments before, and neither were/are bothered by gunfire, thunderstorms or fireworks, so I don't think it is the actual volume level.

I do have a pair of Kappa 9's and Maggie 3.6R's, (both of which go well above 20 KHz) and both dogs did/do respond to certain tracks, even at low volumes (sit there and stare at the speakers with their head tilted), because they could/can clearly hear things that I didn't/can't.

My sister has a yellow lab that thinks that the port on a 15" sub is a personal doggie air conditioning system :)

We have two cats, they never seem to react at all to music, but nature sounds and videos of birds, squirrels, and other similar will sometimes get them going. :)
Had a cat that fell for the barking at the end of "Hey Bulldog" by The Beatles. He'd get up, walk over and stare at the speakers, John was doing the barking I think.

We have 2 goldens....one will leave the room as soon as I go near the power button....the other will hang out...but when I crank it I have him leave the room.

All my Kittens react to loud sounds over the years, Dogs, too. Especially movies with sound effects played over the sound system. Kyra was Carols favorite and as she sat nearest the right speaker. When playing music not to her liking she would reverse her duration 180 degrees and turn her ears down. Kelly and Claudette who like to be on top of the speakers would get up and leave with pop music with overly emphasized bass. TJ. and Katie really didn't care. They wouldn't leave the room, but they wouldn't come in either. Buffy the Shepard and Beau the beagle would start whining and baying if they didn't like the particular selection.

Our Chihuahua loves to lie on the sofa and listen to music along with me, but he leaves the room immediately as soon as I really turn up the volume.

My two little Boston's love music. But it is probably related to spending time with me too.

They especially love Jazz but I play all types of music. And the opening clocks on Time from DSOTM scares one of them but that is the only song that does that to my older girl.

They especially love Wes Montgomery and anything like great guitar jazz. Me too. :beatnik:

Couple of pictures from the Fairlane Hi-Fi test labratory. Putting a recapped 2215 through its paces.

0926172122.jpg 0708182059.jpg
0924172138a.jpg
They like to lay right in front of the speakers, often times right in front of the "woofers" all kidding aside. I know it's good when it puts them to sleep. :thumbsup:
I have been known to turn it up but I keep that in check now with my Tinitis and being sensible about that stuff now. Never bothers them though they seem to love it.

Last edited:
My animals leave the room when I crank it up. The cat's ears turn backwards, and he leaves quickly. My chocolate lab takes a few minutes before he leaves, he knows it might just be for 1 song.

Sorta related to this topic. My dogs have never lived in a house with a doorbell. When they hear one on TV, they bark and go to the door. Electric doorbells have only been around a little over 100 years, this can't be instinct can it?

Try playing the middle section of Pink Floyd's "Dogs" and watch your dog look at the speaker and tilt his head.

Back
Top Bottom