Loud, weird "chirp" when adjusting volume slider.

Sternwheeler

I enjoyed fixing my JVC AX-R97 (Thanks, redk9258) so much, I decided to dig into my R-X60. It makes a loud, high-pitched noise when you move the volume slider, unless you do it very slowly. It will also do it every time you push it all the way to "0" or if you maintain pressure on it in that direction. It was very crackly when I bought it, and got a liberal wash-out with Deoxit D5. Is this noise indicative of damage? Or perhaps I need to disassemble the switch to flush it? If damaged, and I cannot find another slider, is there a reason I shouldn't attach another volume control and disconnect this one? Aesthetics are not a concern. It's a "utility" receiver now.

Thank you, everyone.

Tracy

Usually a volume pot with cold spots is likely to crackle or have dropouts. I think you might have a DC offset voltage standing on the part of the circuit before the volume pot. That can cause this kind of problem. You only need about 250mV or so to cause this problem with a carbon pot.

Got this receiver and a TD-X321 cassette deck from a fellow off of craigslist (Why don't they capitalize anything?) for $60.00. Only problem has been the volume slider. Not a bad deal.

I think I'll try the standing voltage test first, because I can do it with less disassembly. Sounds like I may be taking the sliders apart to clean them up if I gooped them up too badly.

Since I'm an electronics noob, tell me if I'm barking up the right tree. I would check for DC voltage at the input on the slider/pot. If it's there, there's probably a capacitor in series with the signal the has failed?

Why don’t they have a face palm smiley? I didn’t even think of that. Again, I can only plead ignorance. I’ll check it first chance. Thanks for the manual. Hi-Fi Engine only had one for the 80.

Back
Top Bottom