Lounge Music Playlist

graywolf

Sonically Challenged
OK, a exotica/easy listening/space age music playlist.

Seems that lounge is the current term. I did not make it "today's" because often this is the stuff you play when you are doing something else, so it is not something you sit down and listen to today. It is kind of an ongoing process instead. I tend to be into the easy listening stuff, but have at it.

Picking something from my limited collection to get the thread started I will recommend "UNFORGETABLE" John Williams/The Boston Pops Orchestra.

"Space age"? You mean like Esquivel? Okay, but for me, it's not background music!

Esquivel and His Orchestra - Exploring New Sounds in Hi-Fi (stereo 1958)

I've been listening to a local FM-HD2 station called "The Strip".

All Vegas music from the '50s-'60s... without commercials.

"Space age"? You mean like Esquivel? Okay, but for me, it's not background music!

Esquivel and His Orchestra - Exploring New Sounds in Hi-Fi (stereo 1958)

Nor for me, but that is what the combination seems to be these days. I guess it is better than having three threads. For me Easy Listening would be Cool Jazz, Pop Instrumental, and Light Classical with maybe some Swing, Crooners, and Sirens tossed in for variety. But I am willing to try expanding my musical horizons a bit. Some times I think I was programmed to like what I heard back in the days before I went to kindergarden.

But just to show I have the ability to appreciate other stuff as well, I will recommend James Galway -- The Enchanted Forest an alblum of Japanese flute music that I find very soothing.

EDIT: Oops, -- The Enchanted Forest. And what I thought were traditional Japanese instruments seems to be a synthesizer.

Last edited:
I listened to Satin Affair by The George Shearing Quintet with Strings the other day, a nice clean mono pressing btw. It was more enegetic than I remembered.

Then after it was over I noticed that I had played it at 45 instead of 33 1/3.

Recently, A close friend passed along to me 3 crates of records that belonged to his father-in-law. Most are from the 50's to early 60's. I have had quite and enjoyable time going through these. About 8 George Shearing records, 10 Ahmad Jamal, Martin Denny's "Exotica", Les Baxter "Tambu", Andre Previn, Shelly Manne's "Peter Gunn". That just scrathing the surface. It was really quite a haul. Even a NM copy of Miles Davis' "Birth of Cool" !!

I can add "Bongos, Flutes & Guitars" (ABC Command) to the list. Picked it up on my Fla trip and gave it a clean & spin the other day. Weird...but strangely enjoyable. I felt like I was trapped in an elevator circa 1963.

Ahhh, yes. :D

p91200011ky1.jpg

BONGOS/FLUTES/GUITARS
Los Admiradores
Enoch Light, dir.

Command

I just found Les Baxter, David Carroll, Organized, and Command Records' Persuasive Percussion (a few in this series) at a local thrift store for a buck each. Good stuff.

There is a whole "new" genre of contemporary lounge music, mostly European and Middle Eastern that is very good. Stuff from Claude Challe/Buddha Bar, Café del Mar and among many others.

There is a whole "new" genre of contemporary lounge music, mostly European and Middle Eastern that is very good. Stuff from Claude Challe/Buddha Bar, Café del Mar and among many others.

:yes:

...Thievery Corporation, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Espresso Del Lago... :thmbsp:

I've been messing around with the old mono idler and just put on Erroll Garner with the Mitch Miller orchestra, does this fit with the theme here?

When I've got a project and want some interestingly cool, but not forward music I generally go to DI.FM, go to their "Listen Now" section, and select "Chillout".

They've got a strange (but very cool) style of music that, for me, seems to shut off part of my mind, allowing other parts to function their best.

For instance, I was fabricating hanging pot racks made from solid copper, one for my GF (now wife), one for my favorite uncle. With this music in the background, it seemed as the metal racks built themselves, and turned out beautifully.

http://www.di.fm/chillout/

Finding the CD's can be challenging, but there are lots of free mixes available for download. I use the mixes to decide which CD's to buy, and often the mix is good enough to stand on its own.

j viewz; estha (every other song he's done stinks, this one's amazing), Amethystium, Delerium, Psycraft (a song for you), Marco Torrance, Cardamar, Solar Stone...

Hope I've helped, let me know if you've got more questions.

Back
Top Bottom