Love it or list it ? Vintage carbon fibre Specialized road bike...

I picked up a Giant ATX a while back for small change and spent some more on it at the local bike shop getting it road worthy. I had intentions of riding to work on it but tried it once and nearly died (due to lack of fitness, not the bikes fault !). It has sat ever since, with me saying to myself 'I will get riding that again one day.....'
Actually, it just might be the bike. At least a little bit. :)

There is a world of difference between my mid 90s Schwinn Hurricane (a mountain bike, built back when Schwinn was its own company and still made bikes in the US) and my Specialized Crosstrail Disc. I've done 30 miles on the Crosstrail with no problem. A summer or two ago, I rode the old Schwinn up to the store about three miles away, and back...and I was more sore and tired having traveled 6 miles on the Schwinn than doing 30 miles on the Crosstrail! Better (and more suitable) tires, a lighter frame, more efficient ratios, more comfortable riding position, etc., make a noticeable difference.

My better half noticed differences when I upgraded the bikes. She was using a Giant Sedona, with the knobby "street" tires (it has a ridge down the center to assist, rather poorly, on paved streets). I upgraded those to Vittoria Street Runner tires (26 x 1.6) and she noticed the change. I finally upgraded her to a Specialized Roll last summer--it has 2.3-inch wide tires on it, and surprisingly even at their lower pressure rating, that bike is even easier to pedal than the Giant with the Vittoria tires. Not only that, the riding position is way more comfortable.

It's just a matter of using the correct type of bicycle. I see so many local riders struggling on paved trails and streets on a mountain bike, which they buy more for status and appearance rather than practicality. It took two bike shops to talk me out of a mountain bike (the Hard Rock or the Rockhopper) into the Crosstrail...and no regrets so far.

The Epic road bike will be more suitable for paved streets than the Giant ATX (which should be great on dirt trails). If everything is set up correctly, hopefully you'll find the Epic an easier ride on pavement than the ATX.

I haven't ridden in quite a few years- too scared of idiots with cell phones. Way back I picked up an aluminum 1984 Cannondale at a garage sale for an absolute steal. Light weight and rides like a dream, but the frame is huge, way too big for me. The difference between that and my Reynolds steel frame is night and day. Makes the Reynolds seem like it was built by a plumber with extra lead solder in the tubes. I'm guessing the CF is that much better again. If it fits, keep it, but be careful out there.

It's just a matter of using the correct type of bicycle. I see so many local riders struggling on paved trails and streets on a mountain bike, which they buy more for status and appearance rather than practicality.

I've always wondered about that. I thought the purpose of riding a bicycle was to get exercise. Seems like most current "enthusiasts" are more concerned with making bike riding easier.

Back in my college days (70s) all I could afford was a Schwinn Continental. Most of my friends bought more expensive Gitanes, Raleighs, or Peugeots, and always made fun of my "tank", as they called it. Their bikes were always broke so they had to drive their cars, while I got to ride mine.

Maybe the reason your Schwinn gave you trouble wasn't the bike's fault.

Maybe the reason your Schwinn gave you trouble wasn't the bike's fault.
It was actually mostly the bike's fault--it's an old heavy steel frame to begin with, but more importantly, it is a mountain bike, not made for paved streets or trails. That means a rider is expending more effort than they should to keep it moving. Yeah, I admit I bought it back in the mid 90s hell-bent on buying a mountain bike...but was I ever riding up a mountain or on dirt trails? Never. If that Schwinn purchase had been a road bike, it would have been more suited to where I actually rode it and it wouldn't be so tiring to ride.

It's the concept of using the correct tool for the job, or in other words, fitting the bike to its intended purpose. I ride paved and crushed limestone trails, so I can make perfect use of a "crosstrail" bike. I could use a road bike, but with the skinny tires some of them have, it would only do well on paved trails and roads. (I've seen riders on our rail trails walk their road bikes across the dirt roads we have to cross on the trails.) The Specialized Roll we have is a "cruiser" bike made for comfort and leisure riding. If I rode dirt trails, I'd use a mountain bike. Using the wrong bike for the style of riding just wastes the rider's energy. I would rather travel farther (and enjoy the rides a lot more) than fight against a bike unsuited for what I am riding.

Back
Top Bottom