Love My Mini Discs

Have you seen the prices second hand of the MZ-RH1 on ebay. Why are they so expensive. is it correct with these you can record a CD and then upload it to your pc via the MZ-RH1 how is this done

Have you seen the prices second hand of the MZ-RH1 on ebay. Why are they so expensive. is it correct with these you can record a CD and then upload it to your pc via the MZ-RH1 how is this done

The MZ-RH1 is a HI-MD recorder, the TOTL of the Hi-MD series and highest quality of all minidiscs. Check out the product description and manuals here:

http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-RH1.html

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks Yodathedog

Found this

£99 on Ebay is this the device. Is this the device I hope I got my facts right here. You can record a CD and then upload it to a pc

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks Yodathedog

Found this

£99 on Ebay is this the device. Is this the device I hope I got my facts right here. You can record a CD and then upload it to a pc

That's a MZ-N1 and is not Hi-MD. It was the first of the NetMD machines that allows direct PC downloading, but not uplaoding to PC. Not sure what you mean by uploading a disc to PC. What source are you recording from to the minidisc? Also, the software needed for transfer from PC to minidisc is incompatible with most any version of Windows after about 7. You might get it to work with later versions, but results will be spotty at best.

Check it out here: http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-N1.html

Again, as discussed before, the N1 comes with the proprietary rechargeable battery, that, by now, is probably useless. My recommendation would be to stay away from any player or recorder that doesn't use AAs internally, or at least with an external battery case. Much less heartache. That one in the picture does seem to have the external battery case.

I never got a Hi MD machine. As I recall they were lossless. Sony was the only brand for Hi MD, All of the portables I have are Aiwa. I liked their compactness. Really they were not much bigger than 4 or 5 md's stacked and about 1/4 inch around.

John, if the rough size of the LIP8 is the same as a AA I would imagine that is exactly what is in there. So yes is the answer to your question.

4CD0FE88-1820-4B80-95E0-A31CACFC7E35.jpeg 766D51BE-8801-404C-8A18-5ECB359251D1.jpeg

This is a Sony LIP-8/12 battery. As you see, it’s not shaped like a AA or AAA battery. It’s not even the same size. These were used in just a few minidisc units, mostly in 8mm cameras.

As far as I can tell (and I'm no expert), they are the same size and voltage, but a 12 has a higher mAh (milli amp hours) capacity than an 8 by about double, which I think means a 12 run for about twice as long as an 8.

Be very careful when you are looking at portables or components to buy. If the description seems vague, ask questions, especially about whether it has been tested for playback, recording, etc. I got a few duds in the beginning not knowing what was important to know about them.

As far as I can tell (and I'm no expert), they are the same size and voltage, but a 12 has a higher mAh (milli amp hours) capacity than an 8 by about double, which I think means a 12 run for about twice as long as an 8.

Be very careful when you are looking at portables or components to buy. If the description seems vague, ask questions, especially about whether it has been tested for playback, recording, etc. I got a few duds in the beginning not knowing what was important to know about them.

Thanks for the info. So, if I understand correctly, I should be able to use a LIP-12 instead of an -8. That will be great since the -12 is widely available.

The following links show the physical dimensions for batteries that are supposed to be replacements for the Sony LIP-8 and LIP-12. According to what is shown, the dimensions for the two types of batteries are different.

http://www.good-battery.com/digital-camera-battery/sony-652.html

https://www.bigupbattery.com/Sony-LIP-12-MZ-B3-Battery-p/batt-007905.htm

Well, there you have it. When I tried to compare sizes, one was measured in inches and one in millimeters. Made my head hurt.

New releases just recorded to minidisc. Tagged & Labeled. The Beach Boys new one recorded with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is brilliant! Best I've ever heard the
Beach Boys Sound!
Paul McCartney's new one "Egypt Station" and Tony Bennett with Diana Krall singing some great standards! This takes a little work but it is fun (to me anyway!) These were recorded
from High resolution sources on my Sony MXD-D40 and I promise they sound great. I detect no compression and they are much less hassle, more durable, and more portable than CD's and
sound just as good to me.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 18
Quit using mine after I purchased a stand alone cd recorder.

It was a sony forget the model #.

Don't miss it either. It's in a box somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom