Love these Tube Retainers already!!!!!

larryderouin

I'm VERTICAL and Breathing...most of the time.
Subscriber
WISH THE FISHER ENGINEER's had thought this one up. Or at least beat the bean counters into submission on it!!!

I got tired of watching the 7189's (6p14p-EV) in my TA-600 get cock-eyed everytime I even thought of moving it. So while looking for something else not related I came upon these tube retainers for tall 9 pin tubes at AES. They actually had two types. These that permanent mount and another one that looked like a frisbee with a hole in it and 3-4 springs. They mount right over the socket (you have to unrivet and either rivet it back on or use 4-40x3/8" machine screws, washers , and nuts) flange.

These suckers hold the tubes tight in the sockets!!!! No more leaning towers of 7189's!!!
100_4422.jpg
If you are running with original sockets, or even slightly loose new sockets, I highly recommend them.

http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/S-H144 @ $1.75 each for el-84 types.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'd also recommend them for any console or consolette that have the tubes laying horizontal, the 510-610, and others using the 7189 or Ell80 come to mind.
100_4423.jpg
Larry

P.S. For those enquiring minds that didn't read the TA-600 Saga back last summer, the silver tape on the outputs is Aluminum HVAC Duct seam tape. It helps reflect tube heat from the tubes back to the atmosphere instead of the transformers soaking it up. I've also got some on the Power transformer facing the Rectumfrier tubes. Works pretty good. The trannies get warm but not hot like they used to.

Larry

Last edited:
I wonder, if the bass will be tighter, :headscrat and overall sound quality would increase :screwy:due to the pressure from the retainers holding the tubes tight against the sockets.:nutz:

Another Audio Urban legend debunked!!:D:no::D

Japanese gear often used those. Always thought it was a good idea myself. Thats one thing I really do not like about tall novar tubes, they tend to fall over. I might consider adding some of those if I ever get around to changing out the sockets in my Magnavox amp. They're a bit tired and I have some nice ceramic sockets to fit in there someday.

I've got a couple pieces of gear that use the retainers. Both horizontal mount sockets.

Stands to reason they can also help damp vibration. Also remember seeing somewhere that you can bend the side pieces in towards the glass so the curved sections add another couple contact points. Won't cure microphonics as that's more of an internal kinda thang, but it couldn't hertz ...

Ohhhhhmmmmmm.......I was being more facetious than anything with the "improvements" in sound.

The early tube H.P. milspec test gear used much heavier hold downs than these. Those really clamped the tube in it's socket mightily. Must have done some good. Best regards.

Probably something like these Beltons they had also. I didn't care for how they looked

attachment.php

Attachments

• s-h145.jpg
    s-h145.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 111
Hiya,

You should see the over engineered retainers the Russians use with the GU50.

attachment.php

Prob could pull 10G's in the Mig and not shake that tube loose.

Frannie

Attachments

• socket_tube_gu50.preview.jpg
    socket_tube_gu50.preview.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 112
I am surprised Fisher didn't use something like that - given their early fascination with Loctol tubes.

Sony used the spring type retainers in the early tape recorders. Magnecord used the wire type. But 50 pound tape recorders were considered "portable" so they couldn't have tubes shaking loose.

I like the retainer idea. Fisher should have employed them.

Hell the wings would rip off any MIG @ 8-9 G's, except maybe a Mig 29. None of them were really designed to TURN tight. A Brewster Buffalo(worst "fighter" the U.S. put in the air a real pile of shite! ) could turn inside a MIG.

Hiya Larry,

No one back in those days of the CCCP cared much about survival.

Frannie

Back
Top Bottom