dutchtowner

Hi, I'm new here. I'm hoping to find some advice on how to incrementally improve my system as affordably as possible. Here's what I'm working with now:

Yamaha R-N303 receiver
MCS 6702 turntable with an unidentified Audio Technica cartridge
Pair of Paradigm Cinema 110 v3
Pair of KLH 9912
Pair of Technics SB-CR77

I also have a Kenwood KR-6600 with a busted up case that works nicely for about fifteen minutes if you spray a whole can of Deoxit in there, an Optimus Pro SW-12 that needs refoaming, and a pair of Paradigm Cinema 90s that sound way better than the 110s. Those are attached to some old Creative sub and then to the computer, for now.

Build around your Yamaha receiver and TT. Try different speakers. IMO, a pair of Yamaha NX-E100 or E150 would pair very nicely with the R-N303. You would have an all Yamaha setup plus the piano black cabinets would look superb with your receiver, assuming you have black. If you have the silver version, the NX-E150 comes in wood tones. I have a pair of light red oak (or whatever it is) which would look nice with silver. They were part of the E100 and E150 mini systems and are vastly under-appreciated if not unknown for being so. This makes them inexpensive for what you are getting. Here is my pair mated to top of the line (expensive new, obsolete today) AV gear:

yEFWkOk.jpg

I just bought the receiver this week, so I haven’t quite bonded with it yet. But my Technics speakers, I bought those with money I saved up when I was thirteen. They’re my B speakers, in the office where I spend most of my waking hours at home, while the other two pairs are on a switcher for A, and I could take ‘em or leave ‘em really. Especially the Paradigms.

But I am looking for a fourth pair to run into the kitchen area, and I’ll keep an eye out for those Yamahas. (Or other Yamahas? I’ve never heard much one way or the other about their speakers.)

I’m also more actively looking for an OK sub that can take some of the load off of those frickin Paradigms and/or whatever smaller speakers (Yamaha or not) that I eventually run into the kitchen.

This may be the first time I have heard bad things about Paradigms, are you sure they don't need recapped or anything?

I agree with others though, speakers make a big difference in the sound. Having decent speakers is a great start.

Hi, I'm new here. I'm hoping to find some advice on how to incrementally improve my system as affordably as possible. Here's what I'm working with now:

Yamaha R-N303 receiver
MCS 6702 turntable with an unidentified Audio Technica cartridge
Pair of Paradigm Cinema 110 v3
Pair of KLH 9912
Pair of Technics SB-CR77

I also have a Kenwood KR-6600 with a busted up case that works nicely for about fifteen minutes if you spray a whole can of Deoxit in there, an Optimus Pro SW-12 that needs refoaming, and a pair of Paradigm Cinema 90s that sound way better than the 110s. Those are attached to some old Creative sub and then to the computer, for now.
The 110s are satellites, only speced down to 120 and are L/R specific. The 90s won't reach much lower. Your KLH and Techniques are full range speakers so for general listening they will trounce the Paradigm 110s. Start by refoaming the SW-12, it's not that hard, and see how the Paradigms sound with that. Continuing on faber12's comment, older speakers will often improve with new capacitors as these components change over time.

The 110s are satellites, only speced down to 120 and are L/R specific. The 90s won't reach much lower. Your KLH and Techniques are full range speakers so for general listening they will trounce the Paradigm 110s. Start by refoaming the SW-12, it's not that hard, and see how the Paradigms sound with that. Continuing on faber12's comment, older speakers will often improve with new capacitors as these components change over time.

Yeah there’s gotta be something wrong with the 110s. They were questionably stored for a few years. The 90s still sound great, but they’ve been regularly used.

Guess it’s time to learn how to reform and recap...

Part of the problem may be the receiver... don't get me wrong, the yammie is good, I have the older RN-500 and it's good. The problem is they are very clinical and sterile if you're used to a older receiver/amp/preamp setup with lots of bass. I find the bass on mine is quite lacking compared to my long gone Hitachi integrated amp or even my retired older JVC analog AVR. I have to somewhat crank the volume to get the bass going but the Yamaha's have a sub out so adding a sub is an option.

Part of the problem may be the receiver... don't get me wrong, the yammie is good, I have the older RN-500 and it's good. The problem is they are very clinical and sterile if you're used to a older receiver/amp/preamp setup with lots of bass. I find the bass on mine is quite lacking compared to my long gone Hitachi integrated amp or even my retired older JVC analog AVR. I have to somewhat crank the volume to get the bass going but the Yamaha's have a sub out so adding a sub is an option.

Actually I don’t have a sub out on this one, so that’s unfortunate.

Good advice above. Nothing to add, but personally, I'd rather have a pair of full rangers than a 2.1 setup. By the way, your handle reminded me of this:

Yeah there’s gotta be something wrong with the 110s. They were questionably stored for a few years. The 90s still sound great, but they’ve been regularly used.

Guess it’s time to learn how to reform and recap...
There's a lot of information available on both in this forum. I'll stick my neck out and mention my experience as a noob. The white craft glue that ships with most refoam kits is easier to use (more forgiving) than the clear glue that ships from Simply Speakers. The clear glue just set up too quickly for me, though that may be due to my lack of skill. On the plus side, Simply Speakers does not charge shipping if you order only a refoam kit and craft glue is cheap and easily found. Plan your projects or else you'll pay dearly on shipping charges as it's no longer possible to run down to Radio Shack to get the one or two items you forgot. If you're lucky at least one of your sets of speakers will have the crossover components hot glued to the inside of the cabinet so you get some easier practice with desoldering and soldering. Spend some time reading posts from some of the gurus here before you do anything.

I'm not partial to AT carts. They generally sound bright and "CD-like" to my ears - the opposite of the warmth and midrange goodness I like in vinyl.

Try a Grado Black or Green for an affordable way to really change the sound of your vinyl playback.

I'm using 2 JBL LSR305 self powered speakers, Schiit pre-amp and phono pre with a Technics 1200 with a Stanton 681eee-s and my MacBook Pro with Dragon Fly. Works wonderful for a small listening space.

I have built some great systems from craigslist, thrift stores or estate/yard sales.
It has allowed me to try many different items and be surprised along the way.
Audiokarma has been a great resource before you buy.
Do not know your areas amount of used stock, or really what size/power system you are seeking.
Vintage speakers may sound great on your Yamaha. You can always sell them if not satisfied. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom