Low-Fi/Mid-Fi/Hi-Fi //Vintage?

View attachment 967626
For some reason I tend to like the less popular receivers of the low/mid ranges. Don't get me wrong... I have owned many receivers that get much praise. But I think there is some joy in having something that sounds great and is a bit different. That being said I enjoyed a Scott R77s for a long time. I also really adore the black front euro looking pioneer sx-440, sx-770 receivers. I had an sx-440 that I used in the garage for quite a while and it sounded great with a pair of Mordaunt Short MS15 speakers. In all honesty I have to enjoy the sound and looks of anything I buy. Some people might buy specifically for sound. But that's not me.

That Scott in the pic is beautiful.

Thanks! Unfortunately... I no longer own that one. It was one of the only receivers I ever regret selling. Maybe one day it will find its way home! lol

A MidFi system can be more enjoyable to listen to

Not much in extremes standout as sounding 'wrong' with MidFi - just an amalgamation of homogeneous music

Older folk here can remember enjoying the hell of of music on a transistor radio while listening to AM stations

Lower range Realistic receivers and amps qualify for this category.
I had a 10W/ch STA-430 (2nd to BOTL at its time) that sounded really good.
I am presently running a 14W/ch Sherwood S-7100A in my bedroom now.
It's a fantastic little receiver.

I have the Sherwood right next to a fully refurbished Pioneer SX-1000TW and I can say confidently that, though it is different in sound, it gives up nothing to the Pioneer.
That's not an apples-to-apples comparison because the Sherwood has not been reworked, but it really sounds good as-is, so I am reluctant to 'fix' it.
I could live with either unit as they are and be quite satisfied.

It's fun to continually try to improve your system and work your way up the audio food chain one step at a time.
But that's the hobby part of this avocation.
You don't necessarily have to go past that bottom rung of the ladder to have a system that fully meets your needs and that you truly enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom