Low power amps; a new perspective

Try rolling in a different driver tube. I rolled a couple of them today on my Preluis built amp. Made a big change. Mine were Amperex and ge 12at7's.

Glad you like your setup.

MK

Try rolling in a different driver tube. I rolled a couple of them today on my Preluis built amp. Made a big change. Mine were Amperex and ge 12at7's.

Glad you like your setup.

MK

I've tried a Psvane 12AT7 and an NOS Mullard 12AT7. So far, I prefer the Psvane. I also got a pair of GE 6L6GC's from AudioDon that I haven't tried yet but have heard from others that they like better than the Holy Grails.

I'm happy that you're enjoying your new sub. And thanks for the "recommendation of the year" award. We're all in this together.

Cheers,
Steven

I've got some 1961 Amperex/dutch el84's on the way. I liked the GE 12at7 better than the amperex. Both are very different.

MK

Your Fostex drivers are 93 dbs but they gain at least 1 db ( and maybe more ) of efficiency due to the mechanics of the back loaded horn design. I've heard them reach near ear bleed levels with a 2.5 watt SET.

I've also sat in the sweet spot with sound meter in hand and watched them play at 100 dbs without distortion. Pretty remarkable for a 4.5 inch driver.

For it's size it's got one big ass motor.

Last edited:
Any update on a review? :)

Yeah, soon, I promise :D. I have been busy at work and it seems like every night my wife has me on some mission or another. Tonight was my 4 year olds X-Mas play at the church. I just picked up a slightly used Cayin A-50T integrated amp that I am VERY impressed with. I installed a fresh matched quad of Genelec KT77 Gold lions and a set of NOS 12AU7 and 12AX7 pre/driver tubes. I love this amp in the triode mode at 16 watts a side and with the horns there are concert levels in my small room. I promise a review soon. I will admit that I don't prefer them over my Nola's, but I will say that I really like them both for what they do well

Last edited:
No problem take your time. I'm just a single driver nut case and I love to read reviews. Hahaha! I'll wait patiently.

-Steven

Yeah, soon, I promise :D. I have been busy at work and it seems like every night my wife has me on some mission or another. Tonight was my 4 year olds X-Mas play at the church. I just picked up a slightly used Cayin A-50T integrated amp that I am VERY impressed with. I installed a fresh matched quad of Genelec KT77 Gold lions and a set of NOS 12AU7 and 12AX7 pre/driver tubes. I love this amp in the triode mode at 16 watts a side and with the horns there are concert levels in my small room. I promise a review soon. I will admit that I don't prefer them over my Nola's, but I will say that I really like them both for what they do well

Dang! MWalt, you dont play! Man you got gear coming in all the time....Cayin! Man you got it made over there:music: Have a look at these babies.....http://www.audium.com/produktmatrix_au_ls.php?&PATH=0;2;62; I wonder if Poultry knows anything about them? Full range driver and looks like some sort of down firing woofer as well.

Comp9_gross.jpg

Dang! MWalt, you dont play! Man you got gear coming in all the time....Cayin! Man you got it made over there:music: Have a look at these babies.....http://www.audium.com/produktmatrix_au_ls.php?&PATH=0;2;62; I wonder if Poultry knows anything about them? Full range driver and looks like some sort of down firing woofer as well.

Comp9_gross.jpg

LOL, I got the Cayin on a good deal at about half the cost of new (not counting my tube addition). I really like this amp! Those speakers are cool too! I can't help but wonder if the woofer drivers are crossed over or not. They do look beautifully well crafted too.

It sure sounds like they are not From reading at their site, this is what they say

"Let us surprise you! One thing for sure - you WILL be surprised!
We do not break appart and rearrange the music. We maintain the music - in one complete piece and reproduced by one speaker. For a music reproduction without breaks.
A completely newly developed full-range driver is the heart of the new AUDIUM loudspeakers. The sound is not broken up and distributed to several different drivers for bass, mid and high frequencies like in a classical loudspeaker design.
One single driver reproduces the complete audible range. Everything is radiated from a single source. Homogenous and coherent. Supported by an integrated down firing woofer for the lowest frequencies. For sound without limitations.
The woofer is so different! It has an oval shape. New ideas replacing old-fashioned ones. Why oval? Think of it and the answer becomes clear. An ideal ratio from the membrane area to required space, and a fundamentally higher stiffness of the membrane.
And there's more! Power Move, neodymium magnets, diffuser ....
Not interested in the technicalities? Then simply relax and enjoy the sound, full of emotion, flow and timing!
Design and quality that seduces. Why should good things be beautiful? Just a thought ..."

And on top of that...They are made in Germany....Germans build excellent audio gear!

Back
Top Bottom