Lowe's Find

Soundork

I have a Spin Clean that have not used yet and for some reason I never had the confidence in its ability to clean records. Or at least not as good as using running water. Yes, I am familiar with the perceived danger of using tap water, but one can always finish the record cleaning process with a distilled water bath.

Yesterday I was at Lowe's and came across a 4" Stainless Steel Cover Plate, and thought that it would be the perfect label protector. The Lowe's part number is 427813, but the manufacturer also has a website www.oatey.com.

So, I bought two and it came up to about $6.50. It covers the record label area perfectly. There were this rubber rings in the box, I dont think they came with the cover plate,but I am glad they did, because IMHO, the edges of the plate are little sharp.

Last, but not least: To my fellow cheapskates "You're welcome"...:)

Attachments

• 20170528_210325.jpg
    20170528_210325.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 456
  • 20170528_210629.jpg
    20170528_210629.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 460
SD, others have found that identical item. i think i even remember a guy making a YT tutorial on using it in the way you describe. good job. thanks for reminding us the solutions are out there.

You mean I don't have to try to catch the drips before they hit the label anymore. That's great! Thanks for the ideas.

Yup, I've used the 4" round pvc electrical box covers, they come with gaskets. I used to clean my records over the sink with a home brew solution, then rinse in distilled using a SpinClean.

Now I have an RCM.

Next step is an ultrasonic, it never ends.

FWIW, I've had great results with my Spin-Clean. Wouldn't play a newly acquired record without a thorough S-C wash. A lot less hassle too. :)

just my $0.02

I have a Spin Clean that have not used yet and for some reason I never had the confidence in its ability to clean records. Or at least not as good as using running water. Yes, I am familiar with the perceived danger of using tap water, but one can always finish the record cleaning process with a distilled water bath.

Yesterday I was at Lowe's and came across a 4" Stainless Steel Cover Plate, and thought that it would be the perfect label protector. The Lowe's part number is 427813, but the manufacturer also has a website www.oatey.com.

So, I bought two and it came up to about $6.50. It covers the record label area perfectly. There were this rubber rings in the box, I dont think they came with the cover plate,but I am glad they did, because IMHO, the edges of the plate are little sharp.

Last, but not least: To my fellow cheapskates "You're welcome"...:)

Thanks! I'll pick up a pair tomorrow.

You guys are making this way too complicated; just put your dirty LPs in the dishwasher. As long as you don't select the heated drying cycle they'll be fine.

Oh and here's another helpful cleaning tip:

Attachments

• IMG_0142.PNG
    IMG_0142.PNG
    357 KB · Views: 184
You guys are making this way too complicated; just put your dirty LPs in the dishwasher. As long as you don't select the heated drying cycle they'll be fine.

Oh and here's another helpful cleaning tip:

Thank you for sharing...especially the other cleaning tip. :eek:

I've been using a Spin Clean for 4 or 5 years. All my existing collection plus all new additions (all pre-owned) have been through the process. Total to date about 3,000 not counting 45's & 78's.

As soon as the record clears the brushes, I spend a few seconds shaking it over the trough to get excess liquid off then stand them up vertically in a wooden plate drainer. Any that does remain and may start making it's way towards the label, I dab off.

I accumulate about 40 or so LP's before running them through the cleaner because that's about what one load of fluid is good for. As it is, the process is tedious enough but if I had to start fiddling with a label protector, it would take longer.

Besides, if the liquid does not exceed the fill line, the label never touches it.

Water does drip over the label but I hesitate to add another step to an already tedious process.
Someplace I thought I saw someone found suction cups that were the right size.......

I have used a SpinClean on some ~200 records now and find it the next best thing to a vacuum. Never did I feel the need to protect the labels in any way. the occasional droplet of water that clings to them after cleaning dries off with no trace. After cleaning with the SpinClean, I run the whole batch through the SpinClean again, but filled with distilled water only. Then I place the records upright in the dishwasher to dry. Works great, and no issues with the labels whatsoever. Of course the fact that I live in dry Arizona could have something to do with it.

I also you use the Spin Clean but on some of my dirty flea market finds I put them in a dish drainboard and spray them clean with pure distilled water after a spin clean and of course water gets on the label. Most newer labels is does not affect but it does older album labels. I usually just dry the label off first with two microfiber towels. I am going to give this a try.

Back
Top Bottom