Lubing CD players?

dr.ido

I have a several CD players with stuck/sluggish trays and/or noisy mechs. I suspect at least some of them would be benefit from cleaning and lubrication.

What is the recommended lubricant for CD mechs?

Others will cringe here, but I used the unthinkable: a fine fine film of Vaseline on the polished laser slides and plastic gears and tray slides, after cleaning off the old crud first. Always worked just fine for me. I'm sure there's some commercial (=expensive) product to use, though, that others will recommend instead.
Tom

First of all when it comes to CD players Any lubricants
should be applied sparingly.
Use white lithium grease on the plastic parts and apply
it using a cotton swab.
Use a light weight oil on the rods. Sewing machine oil
will work fine. Use a cotton swab or cloth to apply it.

Is there a brand name/product name for white lithium grease? What kind of shop usually carries it?

So far I haven't found any local suppliers using "white lithium grease" as the search term. So far google suggests that it comes in an aerosol can, so shipping would be a killer (aerosols can = dangerous goods = special expensive shipping in Australia).

I don't use spray lithium grease on CDPs, I prefer to strip them down and do it totally from scratch. On my bench at the moment awaiting this treatment is a Sony laser disc and a JVC cartridge changer.
Spray lithium grease would get in a lot of places that you wouldn't want it.
I often use a product called "Super-lube" this comes in grease and oil pen forms. You can get it from Wagner Electronics in Ashfield Sydney or I have seen the oil pens in locksmiths, it is quite good for locks too.
The spray lithium grease I have bought at auto-one/Repco so you shouldn't have to worry about shipping unless you are Back of Bourke! This stuff is great for sticking car door handles and hinges.
Cheers
Tony

The only white lithium grease I've been able to find is in an aersol can, but I don't intend to go spraying directly into the player. I'll use a cotton bud to apply it.

Using it sparingly I'll probably loose the can before I run out...

you can also find much smaller tubs in higher end bicycle shops-- it is the preferred lube for bicycle assembly....

Back
Top Bottom