Lurker crossed over

Rt8

Hi everyone from occasionally light showers of rain and pleasantly grey skies Ireland,

I'd like to start by saying this is a fantastic site. I've often been directed here via Google search and really appreciate the thus far guidance and advice received.

Big up yourselves!

Welcome to AK - lots of picture are a requirement <G>

My most recent purchase :
DSC_0477_zpsb5agkrq9.jpg

Welcome to AK. Im off back to Ireland for another weeks fishing this summer and a few pints of Smithwicks . Might be Waterford, Belterbut, Athlone, Mullingar, or another favourite place. As long as Im sat catching those bream and pub at night for the crack Its good for me.

Many thanks for the warm welcome, so nice to have people here talking of their fishing holiday plans in Ireland. @ modge I guess fishermen don't mind getting wet! hope you have a great time again. @Harmonkardon I'd love to visit the blackforest, my wife is German so I've been over loads. We have a lot of appreciation for German techno in this house!

Welcome RT8 I would like to hear about the SL-6 Linear tracker. How does it compare to other TT's you have?

Welcome RT8 I would like to hear about the SL-6 Linear tracker. How does it compare to other TT's you have?
Hi BobHol
I've really got myself spinning with this TT, I am back into playing records that had been a tad ignored of late.
How does it compare with other TT's?
It trampled the sounds I was getting from the KAM belt drive I have but no surprise there.
I have used extensively the SL1210 mk2 and the Hitachi HT463 both fantastic in their own right. As I'm not using like for like cartridges it's a hard summary to pen.
I've grown very fond of the SL1210 mk2 and will probably buy one in the future if funds allow , this SL-6 can stay with a stock one sonically or bang for buck, dare I say, even surpasses it, the detail that short tone arm can translate is astonishing, maybe the linear track helps achieve this. I will say the SL- 6 seems to be more prone to be upset by a bit of dust. I seem to be having to prep the records a bit more thoroughly.
I've not ran the HT -463 through the same amp yet. It's in my family home in Donegal a good 3 hour drive away so can report back on that in due course, I'd say they are detail wise on a par. Maybe a bit heavier bass coming from the Hitachi it's a tremendous while not very common DD player; I love this table but it needs a service, the auto function switchgear needs repair. These extra features scare some people and I only sort of see why cos if they don't work you just defer to manual play. On a conventional table at least.
Manual play is not seemingly an option on the SL-6, the tone arm returns to start position on power up. Any issue with tonearm tracking mechanism would leave you goosed until fixed.

The programmable tracks is a nice feature on the SL-6 is not clinically accurate and could be dismissed, I like it, use it and will continue to do so.
I found a flaw with a 12" single I've owned and played on various tables for 18 years, it exceeded the snug fit required of a record to spin inside this size zero model.
I have played some beautiful drifting piano through to some very accomplished electro and all forms sounded exquisite.
Not quite hearing that "the band is in the room" effect but my system has limits (NAD 302 and JPW AP2) compared to alot on this site. I get the impression that with the right phono stage, amp and speakers that more is on tap from the SL-6
I so near went for a Kenwood 7010 at more than 3 times the price ,now I feel a whole system upgrade would be needed to justify such a kenwood.
Spare parts if ever needed for the kenwood or the Hitachi would likely be very hard to fimd, this is of course just a hunch based on the amount for sale (hard to find either complete never mind a breaker) whereas technics gear will be more readily available from a donor if needs arise.
I did consider a Rega 3 for a while but couldn't find the right one at the right price.
Overall
I'd say the Sl-6 is a very satisfying TT that more than lived up to its reputation.

Thank You for your thorough description. I am aware of a Technics Linear Tracker for sale close to me and am tempted to go look at it. That reminded me that I have a Hitachi made linear tracker HT-L55 (It was sold in the states as a RCA Demensia MTT131) It was all ready to go so I replaced my Hitachi HT-500 with it. I'm not good at describing what I hear but I did like the RCA unit. This RCA unit is almost all plastic on the outside but it must have some metal inside I would say from lifting it. I had cleaned and lubed it about 7 years ago but had used it sparingly because of isolation issues or I just had a better unit to use. It has worked without a problem since I "serviced " it. I would think that any Technics LT would be better than my Hitachi, and if so I really should buy the local unit.

Thank You for your thorough description. I am aware of a Technics Linear Tracker for sale close to me and am tempted to go look at it. That reminded me that I have a Hitachi made linear tracker HT-L55 (It was sold in the states as a RCA Demensia MTT131) It was all ready to go so I replaced my Hitachi HT-500 with it. I'm not good at describing what I hear but I did like the RCA unit. This RCA unit is almost all plastic on the outside but it must have some metal inside I would say from lifting it. I had cleaned and lubed it about 7 years ago but had used it sparingly because of isolation issues or I just had a better unit to use. It has worked without a problem since I "serviced " it. I would think that any Technics LT would be better than my Hitachi, and if so I really should buy the local unit.
They are selling "for collection only" in the UK for an SL-5 as low as 70 sterling. I'd say if the one locally is in the right price range for condition then go for it. I paid 135 sterling for mine plus postage which had it at near €190 euro. It's probably a higher end of the scale price but it had been serviced so I think I got a fair deal. If it's working and in the $100 region I'd snap it up.

Back
Top Bottom