Luxman C-120A , or yamaha b2

bonitadon

bonitadon
being a condo dweller, space is a problem. i have to downsize again. i have these two items,
Luxman C-120A and yamaha B-2. one has to go. which one should i move on? also i have a marantz 2275. should it go before either of these? thanks

The M-120a was the first of the lesser amps from Luxman as prices kept going up. By this I mean vinyl clad box instead or real wood veneer and such. The late 70s all manufacturers started making things less expensively to keep price points.
The Lux sold for 700 @120wpc and the B-2 was 850 @100wpc and I think the Yamaha would win that war as it is just a bit older.

But sound quality, the Lux with the known great sound quality of their gear and the Duo-ß feedback system would be a good sounding amp
The Yamaha with their natural sound would also be a good sounding amp and the preference may come down to the listener.

The Marantz is a receiver and selling it could fund either or both these amps. Marantz gear gets big money cause folks remember that brand and bought the little one when they were new.

I've had 4 or 5 different Luxman SS power amps. They all disappointed. Never had the one from their Reference Series — it might be great, the Preamp sure is. But the others: meh. For me, Luxman's exalted status is based on a handful of great units (some of which I've owned) and the vast remainder of their catalogue trails far behind the competition.

The Yamaha is a classic. For me the choice would be a no-brainer.

I've had 4 or 5 different Luxman SS power amps. They all disappointed. Never had the one from their Reference Series — it might be great, the Preamp sure is. But the others: meh. For me, Luxman's exalted status is based on a handful of great units (some of which I've owned) and the vast remainder of their catalogue trails far behind the competition.

The Yamaha is a classic. For me the choice would be a no-brainer.

thank you very much for the very decisive reply

Personally, I'd go with the Luxman because it's prettier and I have the matching preamp (which I absolutely love).

Personally, I'd go with the Luxman because it's prettier
I hope you're joking. But if that really is how you choose your equipment, I admit the B2 isn't "pretty" — it's gorgeous.

The B2 is a legendary amp, even in Yamaha lore. The UK critic Martin Colloms (one of the few reviewers who really knew stuff) said his biggest regret in audio was selling his B2s — and the Brits hated Japanese audio components in the 1980s.

The Luxman is just another Luxman in a line that ranges from good to mediocre. Sadly, I've owned more Luxmans than Yamahas, because Luxman has an undeserved "image" and I fell for it.

I hope you're joking. But if that really is how you choose your equipment, I admit the B2 isn't "pretty" — it's gorgeous.

The B2 is a legendary amp, even in Yamaha lore. The UK critic Martin Colloms (one of the few reviewers who really knew stuff) said his biggest regret in audio was selling his B2s — and the Brits hated Japanese audio components in the 1980s.

The Luxman is just another Luxman in a line that ranges from good to mediocre. Sadly, I've owned more Luxmans than Yamahas, because Luxman has an undeserved "image" and I fell for it.
I was speaking a bit tongue in cheek, but not totally joking. Aesthetics are an important part of this hobby for a lot of people. I put it second only to performance, so it's a very important factor. I personally don't like looking at ugly gear. My matching Luxman gear has both.

I agree, the B2 is a looker too (it has meters too, love love love meters :biggrin:) but I prefer the Luxman gold and silver to the Yamaha's black.

That being said, a comparison is certainly needed for the OP on performance.

seems @bimasta is not a Luxman fan. Nothing wrong with that if he doesn't spread that attitude at the expense of all other information. A good salesman tells why his stuff if better not why the other stuff is junk. I haven't seen him say why the other gear is that much better as much as I have seen him say Lux gear sucks. Maybe his preference in sound quality is not what Luxman was providing and there are plenty of brands out there that sound different enough to not have to use gear that doesn't sound the way you like. His comment about Luxman's undeserved image is telling. Many here think they made some excellent gear. Heck I use a Yamaha preamp to feed Luxman amps. Happy with the sound of that rig, among others.

I've been using a pair of M120As for over 25 years... They're exceptional performers and IMO much better amps than B2s. The 120 is one of my favorite SS Luxman... Bettered only by the M12 & B12.

Back
Top Bottom