Luxman CL-32/ vintage tube preamps

nyhifihead

hey all I'm planning on building a secondary vintage system and wanted some input on vintage tube preamps

speakers will be older monitor audio gold bookshelves with a pinnacle baby boomer subwoofer
amplification will be a classe ca 101

I want that tube sound for this system.. it will be for low volume listening

I love the japanese gear and theres a luxman CL-32 tube preamp local for under 500, just wondering how good these hold up compared to newer chinese tube offerings, which I know can be quite impressive

how good were the luxman tube preamps from this era? any other recommendations? I'm not fixated on luxman or anything japanese for that matter

my main desire is pure musicality for around 600 or less used, which I know is low for tube preamps..

The Luxman tube gear from the 70s is overall excellent, world class gear. Maybe this would have been better answered a few months ago, though.

didnt up purchasing, the seller was firm on selling as-is and without tubes so unit wasnt able to be tested, and I wasn't interested in taking that gamble.

I would've purchased if I was able to test, or at least know what the issues were. I'm pretty sure the guy sold it on ebay

I'm still in the market for a tube pre and i'll make sure not to pass up the next vintage luxman

If you can get over the desire for vintage, check out the Schiit tube pre amps.

yea I plan on holding out until the schiit freya balanced tube pre comes out and has some review or community opinion. big fan of schiit and I'm sure the unit will hit well above its price point like much of schiits offerings

until then I've had my eyes out for a deal on BAT or ARC balanced tube pre...

didnt up purchasing, the seller was firm on selling as-is and without tubes so unit wasnt able to be tested, and I wasn't interested in taking that gamble.

I would've purchased if I was able to test, or at least know what the issues were. I'm pretty sure the guy sold it on ebay

I'm still in the market for a tube pre and i'll make sure not to pass up the next vintage luxman
I have the Luxman CL34. Love it! I had the more famous CL35 at the same time and A/B'd them. Preferred the 34: more musical. I also had other tube preamps (Conrad Johnson, MFA Magus, Lazarus, and three models from Audio Research,). Some excelled in certain areas, but I always came back to the CL34.

Back
Top Bottom