taniani

After 6 years with a Marantz 2270 receiver, I'm looking for an upgrade (in terms of SQ), and want to put my hands on a Luxman amp that will drive my JBL L100T3.

I'm wondering how the L-100 (or L-110) compares, in terms of sound quality and features, to the C1000/1010 and M2000/4000 combo?

I assume that any pre & power combo mentioned above will cost around 50% more than a L-100/110, so I'm also wondering if you guys think that it will justify the price gap.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have the L110 and it edged out a restored 2325 (that wasn’t an easy decision) and sent my 2285b into back up duty. The L110 hasn’t been as reliable as the Marantz gear but when it’s working it sounds really, really good. Powerful, warm and zero fatigue inducing sound.

I briefly pursued the same separates you mentioned but decided to stay with my L110.

I know there are a few here that have owned and/or listed to both the Lux integrated amps and separates and I’m looking forward to their impressions as well.

Last edited:
Thanks sx-70 for your vital inputs.

I had a chance to hear this week the Luxman L-100 at a local stereo store; it really sounds amazing.

Now I'm more curious than ever to hear any input from other members here - how the L100 or L110 compares to the C1000 & M4000 combo in terms of sound quality?

Thanks in advance.

I'd love to know this also, along with where the 5M20/1 fit into the pecking order.
LRS is a cut above.

The 5M20/21 amps are very nice, but you have to buy the LEDs separate.

The C-1000/M-4000 kit was the 50th anniversary units in 1975 and the LRS was the top of the line that came out the next year.

Thanks Blue Shadow!

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but theres a working 5M20 (monolith without the meters, lol!) available locally for $200 and I'm wondering if it's a step up from the Luxman receiver I'm using now. Not sure if the the DML modules have been changed or are the new types, but I'm fairly certain they have not at that price.

Using the amp section of an R-117 now with preamp and eq separates.

Have you had the opportunity to hear both of these? Wondering if I might expect an upgrade in SQ in the LRS vs the receiver's amp? I've no experience with the vintage Lux standalone amps, so not sure if technology has marched on or if TOTL of the past is better than their lower price point/black faceplate receiver from the 80s.

be an upgrade in reliability and ease of use. Sure the 117 is one of the best sounding receivers but it is a receiver and the 5M20 for 200, I'd buy it all day long to add it to my 5F70 starter LRS stack. DMLs are available.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom