Luxman L-505uX vs. L-550AX

crouse

Poorly known member
Subscriber
Looking for a comparison of these two integrated amps. I did a search and found some info, but would like to see more feedback. My speakers are 92db efficient per the manufacturer, although Stereophile measured them as a little lower (between 90 and 91). I rarely listen at over 80db and I sit about 10ft from the speakers.
I am mostly interested in two things -- is the 550AX powerful enough for my speakers and listening volumes; and, is there a difference in the sound of the two amps? I know the 550AX is Class A and the 505uX is Class A/B, but I wonder if the crossover distortion of the A/B amp is so low that it can't be heard anyway. Oh, and without spending $500 on a plane ticket, there is no way for me to hear these beauts. So, even though I agree with everyone that will say only hearing them will tell me what I want to know, I still want some feedback.
Thanks!

I have the L-505u. The uX is supposed to have an improved phono section, and volume control, so it may be closer than one would suspect. I would bet that the 550AX would sound PLENTY powerful enough for you. I'm also wouldn't doubt that the increase in clarity would be noticeable, but YMMV. I wonder if the phono section and volume control on the 550AX have kept up?

Yes, very much so. It sounds excellent, and sets a high standard. If you are not a restless, tweaker type, it should be good for a lifetime.

I had both previous iterations (550 AII and 505u) in my system a few years ago for comparison. Was running 86db speakers at the time. Both were able to drive the speakers to louder than I cared to listen. I chose the 505 over the 550 as it had a more 'upfront' sound than the 550 to me, though after time I missed the smooth sound of the 550. Both are excellent choices. If you don't listen at loud levels the 550 might be the ticket! It's hard to beat Class A.

Back
Top Bottom