Luxman L100u int amp no output and is this the right int for me?

superdog

AK Member
I had been keeping an eye out for an int amp to build a 70s vinyl system.I was going to build it around a 70s receiver but would rather do it around a good 70s int amp.This was found at a thrift store and there is no output.It comes out of protection but no output.I can faintly hear the output when the volume is turned way up.First any ideas on what may be the issue perhaps known to these units?Second in some research I have seen that these are a bit different from most run of the mill amps in they seem to be built to higher standards and therefore requiring more for a rebuild(special caps from Japan?).Also the phono sections are claimed to be quite good(my reason for wanting to) but they are also more complex in the adjustments and also I don't know what the linear adjustments are for and haven't a clue on the bottom two adjustments.I just want a very good phono amp and this having two phono outputs is appealing.I am not any tt expert.Is this more than I need?My TTs are a Sony PS8750 and Technics SL1200.Is the rebuild more than the average tech can handle?I'm willing to throw down for the repair and recap as this is the end line for my tt trip if it is the right one.Its the 70s sound and appeal I want.

Attachments

• 11-10-2017 013.jpg
    11-10-2017 013.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
The L100 is a great amp. The linear eq tilts the freq response on phono only just slightly, really nice.

Get the manuals from HFE and read about the controls.

Not more than you need if you want great sound quality and worth the work to make it new again.

The L100 is a great amp. The linear eq tilts the freq response on phono only just slightly, really nice.

Get the manuals from HFE and read about the controls.

Not more than you need if you want great sound quality and worth the work to make it new again.
I'm waiting to print out the user manual so it may give me more of an idea of this amp.For being here for so long I hardly ever heard of this amp.

I've been talking about it for a dozen years but most of my stuff is by BS so no reason to read it.

Post if you have any questions. I sold these new and have the similar preamp, the C-1000.

the L-100 is my personal favorite Integrated amp, period.. so much that i have bought a second piece as backup if the first should faulter.
so in my opinion it is more than worth restoring though it seems to be rather underrated compaired with the later tol luxman Integrateds - i think this unit together with the other offerings from the 50 year jubilee - the c-1000 and poweramps the M - 2/4/6000 is when the Classic Luxman line reached its best. they were quite expensive for the time - later Luxman tol Integrateds where cheapened Down - it was not until 8 years later with the 1983 l-550x and lx-38u that you coul buy a more expensive lux Integrated.

regarding the low output - i would first check the funktion of primary the tape monitor switch as this is a typical fault in Classic seventies luxman units - try giving the switch a good "massage" and see if you can hear a difference.
the l-100 also have two adjustments of volume , the main volume control and a attenuator volume control , maybe the attenuator control is turned to max attenuation?
it might also be a problem with the touch attenuation control - this you can turn of by a switch on the backside of the unit.
you can also separate the pre and poweramps on the back and check them separately to explore where the fault resides.

good luck
paul

I've been talking about it for a dozen years but most of my stuff is by BS so no reason to read it.

Post if you have any questions. I sold these new and have the similar preamp, the C-1000.
I will.Thanks.
the L-100 is my personal favorite Integrated amp, period.. so much that i have bought a second piece as backup if the first should faulter.
so in my opinion it is more than worth restoring though it seems to be rather underrated compaired with the later tol luxman Integrateds - i think this unit together with the other offerings from the 50 year jubilee - the c-1000 and poweramps the M - 2/4/6000 is when the Classic Luxman line reached its best. they were quite expensive for the time - later Luxman tol Integrateds where cheapened Down - it was not until 8 years later with the 1983 l-550x and lx-38u that you coul buy a more expensive lux Integrated.

regarding the low output - i would first check the funktion of primary the tape monitor switch as this is a typical fault in Classic seventies luxman units - try giving the switch a good "massage" and see if you can hear a difference.
the l-100 also have two adjustments of volume , the main volume control and a attenuator volume control , maybe the attenuator control is turned to max attenuation?
it might also be a problem with the touch attenuation control - this you can turn of by a switch on the backside of the unit.
you can also separate the pre and poweramps on the back and check them separately to explore where the fault resides.

good luck
paul
Thanks for your info also.I read something about two volumes.Are they both on the main volume knob?Because I tried to turn two separate knobs but couldn't seem to do so.Is there something I am missing on where or what the second attenuator control is? I worked all the switches quite a bit apparently to no avail .This amp is quite heavy and just oozes quality.
Why can't I find this kind of thing at a thrift store!
For the record I paid $22.99 for this and a functional t88v tuner untested.

Last edited:
go to hfe and download the user manual - the attenuator controll is shown there as number 18 in the illustration of the front controls.
also try headphones to see if you get volume there

paul

go to hfe and download the user manual - the attenuator controll is shown there as number 18 in the illustration of the front controls.
also try headphones to see if you get volume there

paul
I'll check out that manual tomorrow.I have it downloaded on my home computer.No go for the headphones either.Thanks.

A beautiful amp. Many years ago I walked away from one of those with the matching tuner -- it was at a charity thrift store and they wanted $200 for the pair, which seemed pretty pricey for a thrift store, I didn't know for a fact that both pieces worked, and I didn't particularly need it. I guess it goes without saying that I really regret that decision now . . . ;)

This is what I did to L100U:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/luxman-l-100u-recap.553917/

Look at Post #9, 15....I think there are 3 Relays which I replaced. The Mute Relay I did get a NOS on Fleebay.

This was a SLOW recap. Each board tested.
Thanks for that thread.Waaaay beyond my abilities but I am going to print it out for the person who does the recap on this.I tried all the simple steps to get power and it looks like it is dead.I think I heard enough kudos for this amp to say... yes this is the amp.

If this is any help to you, I also acquired an L100 in November that had similar symptoms to yours: The orange power light would not come on and no sound. However, the red muting light would light up when the volume knob was tapped (as it's supposed to do) so at least I knew it wasn't totally dead.

I cleaned the heck out of it (mine was obviously owned by a heavy smoker) and put in 5 new fuses. That did the trick (sort of) as it now powers on and plays without issue. I say "sort of" because sometimes it takes 15 seconds to power on and sometimes it takes a minute or more, so I'm not out of the woods yet.

Hope you've got yours sorted out. It's a beautiful and special piece of equipment!

The power on delay on the l-100 is supposed to take 10-15 seconds, the delay is controlled via a capacitor on the power supply board as far as i recall. a full minute is far to long - i suggest that you check the capacitors on the ps board plus the relay on same board.
the delay mechanism is described in the service manual.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom