Luxman M-4000 Score!

Late update:
I ended up opening the M-4000 back up to replace the original bulbs with LED's off of eBay.
The bulbs look pretty good, but are too cool of a white/blue for my tastes... Beggars can't be choosers though.
The part number on the power switch is "Snap Switch J-263" With another marking on the side of the case that reads "SDG5P" -- Made by Alps.
Anyone have any information on where I can pick up a suitable replacement for it? Thanks!

Pics:
IMG_0273.JPG IMG_0271.JPG

No info on your switch but I always leave mine in the on position and control it via a power bar
saves the OEM switch.
BTW what vendor did you use for the led conversion?

No info on your switch but I always leave mine in the on position and control it via a power bar
saves the OEM switch.
BTW what vendor did you use for the led conversion?
I used “CaptainFantastic16” on eBay.
There’s a couple vendors but I went with him because in the listing, he advertised the LED’s as being a soft white. They ended up being a cool white/blue color. I’m not a fan. You can also see the LED’s flicker out of the corner of your eye... It’s pretty annoying.
If I could have went with the original bulbs I would have 10x.

I have never found any original replacement bulbs.
Bummer. It doesn’t surprise me though. They probably stopped making them long ago. There’s a probably a warehouse in Japan somewhere with boxes on boxes of this particular light, NOS. Cheers.

Congratulations HackWhite. It is a wonderful amplifier. Not too long ago I was the proud owner of 3. One, I regrettably sold for much too little, one is part of my main system, and the third is a "parts" unit. I'll check it out over the weekend and maybe I'll have a power switch for you.

I found incandescent lamps on ebay a few years ago. I think they came from Germany. Here is the thread I posted about them. I don't see any on ebay currently.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/luxman-m-4000-lamps.590526/

Luxman 2.JPG

Luxman AK.JPG

HfMGVd8228ssXJNv1

Last edited:
Can any of you guys help me get my luxman lv103 back up and running? Right channel went out after a short in a speaker. Led near the heatsink on the right channel is out. Left channel works well.This has only two fuses in it that are fine. I also don't have sound from the headphone jack right side. This unit sounds amazing. I checked tubes and they are both good. Are there fusible links or resistors in the ez model? The test points on the right show no foltage the left is 45 millivolts. TIA

Congratulations HackWhite. It is a wonderful amplifier. Not too long ago I was the proud owner of 3. One, I regrettably sold for much too little, one is part of my main system, and the third is a "parts" unit. I'll check it out over the weekend and maybe I'll have a power switch for you.

I found incandescent lamps on ebay a few years ago. I think they came from Germany. Here is the thread I posted about them. I don't see any on ebay currently.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/luxman-m-4000-lamps.590526/

View attachment 1097675

View attachment 1097676

HfMGVd8228ssXJNv1
Hey there! I can’t believe I didn’t see your reply sooner. Thanks for the info! Did you happen to get around to looking at your parts unit?

You know, vinylwood forests are disappearing.
Was that one vinyl? I thought I recall it being genuine, but I haven’t touched one since the early 90’s. The 6000 certainly was real wood, I had one.

You know, vinylwood forests are disappearing.

Wrong forest. That amp is real wood.

The vinyl is easy to tell because it looks so good. This 50th Anniversary (Luxman started business in 1925) had veneered cabinets. Lots of the lesser stuff has the vinyl.

^ Nice!!!, I have the M-2000, what do you set your attenuators at? Those EPI's are sweet speakers
I usually keep them at "0" and use the preamplifier to control the volume. I imagine they added those attenuators for instances where one would be biamping speakers.

Luxman has attenuators.
The preamp has the phono input level control, tuner and aux input level controls, an attenuator and a touch mute (1000, not 1010) and then there is the variable output of the tuner and the input level controls on the power amp. Plenty of controls to make it so you can use the volume control on the preamp from say 9:00 to 1:00 in any listening volume setting. The sweet spot of the volume control.

That is one beautiful amp. I would be happy to add one to my avatar along with the PD-441. I'd need more than the EPI 100s, though, I would pop their little woofers out in the middle of the room. But I am driving a pair of EPI M50s with a 200 wpc Citation amp.
^ Nice!!!, I have the M-2000, what do you set your attenuators at?
Set the attenuators so that the preamp volume control is convenient to use. Additionally, there will be differences in the input impedance of the power amp based on the position of these controls. This may help make things just right...if you go for such a thing.

I just had my M-4000 fixed after I re-caped it and I could not get it to work turns out that the only thing bad about this amp is the plastic clips the pc boards plug in to deform after time and heat my gut hard wired the boards because he could not get it to work with the deformed plastic clips. Pics will follow I do believe this should be done after seeing the issues it causes
Blue thanks for the info on the phono mod on the c-1000.

So... The Lux came the other day.
It arrived in 2 large boxes, chock full of styrofoam and large bubble wrap.

Even though it was packed well, The power button was broken off and MIA... Nowhere to be found inside of the box, or inside of the amplifier!

I contacted the seller to see if he would compensate for the price of a new power button for it but he declined; for a fair reason.
He charged me $35 for shipping when it actually cost him $78! I'm not too mad about the power button, but would like to find a replacement.
I looked all over HiFi Engine's schematics and parts list for the M-4000, but couldn't find a part number for it, and when I had the amplifier apart (what a b*tch to take apart),
I forgot to take note of the part number for the power switch... All I know is it's made by Alps...

Anyways... Back to the amplifier itself...
When I got it, it powered on, meters worked, but no sound!
I wasted no time to take it apart, inspect the inside for damage from the drill hole in the top, Clean the pots, make sure all circuit boards were in good condition, and make sure all connectors were correctly in place...
The only damage to the amplifier from the drill hole (other than cosmetics) was a small nick on the top left of the right transformer.
The pots were extremely dirty so I gave them a shot of DeoxIT Fader F5... They are a special type of potentiometer so I didn't want to harm them with DeoxIt D5...
I put it back together (more of a b*tch than taking it apart), and to my surprise, It worked!

It sounds awesome, even for original caps!
I can't wait to get it integrated into my system!
I'm going to order replacement meter lights for it off of eBay...
sadly the only replacement lights I can find for it are LED's :(

If anyone has any info on the power button or knows where I can find a replacement for it, please let me know!
I don't want to spend another hour opening the thing up to get the part number off of the button :confused:
I'd have to take multiple boards out to get at it again and risk damaging it by doing so.

Thanks for looking, guys!

View attachment 980552 View attachment 980554 View attachment 980555 View attachment 980556 View attachment 980557 View attachment 980558 View attachment 980559
My M-4000 switch broke off the switch itself is most likely ok its a common problem I ordered a button on ebay and painted it and it gets glued in. you will never find the actual switch i have been looking for over a year for it. One guy even told me it was an exotic wood milled. the switch is 9.5 mm x 10mm red push button and paint it if it is not long enough to glue two together the seem will be not seen

Back
Top Bottom