Luxman M-4000 Score!

Finally took the M-4000 out of hibernation and made a video on it.
It's one of the next pieces I own to go out for a complete service.

Enjoy!

Hack did you find the button in your video its there what did you do to get one I would love to know

Luxman has attenuators.
The preamp has the phono input level control, tuner and aux input level controls, an attenuator and a touch mute (1000, not 1010) and then there is the variable output of the tuner and the input level controls on the power amp. Plenty of controls to make it so you can use the volume control on the preamp from say 9:00 to 1:00 in any listening volume setting. The sweet spot of the volume control.

That is one beautiful amp. I would be happy to add one to my avatar along with the PD-441. I'd need more than the EPI 100s, though, I would pop their little woofers out in the middle of the room. But I am driving a pair of EPI M50s with a 200 wpc Citation amp.

Set the attenuators so that the preamp volume control is convenient to use. Additionally, there will be differences in the input impedance of the power amp based on the position of these controls. This may help make things just right...if you go for such a thing.
Blue are you saying the sweet spot of vol control between 9 and 1 sounds better?

Blue are you saying the sweet spot of vol control between 9 and 1 sounds better?
I'm saying the ease of use of the volume control is best when you have a range to use. There are some that are so impressed that their unit cranks at 9:00 well with only 4 clicks between 9:00 and no volume this gives NO volume control compared to needing to get it to 9:00 for it to start making enough volume and 1:00 to be cranking. I like to be close to full volume at 1:00 because there are a number of pieces that need more volume and if one has full volume at 3:00 there may not be enough to get to the desired volume level. My example is Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms, that song can use up a volume control completely. It is all about convenience and how one wants to run is rig.

The change in input impedance might be something to care about with a very few pieces of connected equipment and this was mentioned just so folks know about it. In most cases, amps I have owned with input level controls have usually been used with the controls at full volume with a few exceptions.

Glad the phono info was helpful

Hack did you find the button in your video its there what did you do to get one I would love to know
Hey tpalumbo.
I tried many different solutions, and ended up constructing a new post for the switch and found a brown push button off of an old radio that fit perfectly.
I am still on the lookout for a whole new switch assembly, including button though. Thanks!

The strange thing is it looks like it was in the photo you first posted. can you turn it off with a pen or by sticking something in the hole
It was in the picture in the eBay listing, but when I received the amplifier in the mail, I couldn't find it anywhere. I think the seller might have broken it off while packing the amplifier.

How close to the original did it end up being and what data do you have on it?
It's an Alps Snap Switch L-374. It is the power button used in the Sansui 9090DB and like models. Same part numbers as the Alps Snap Switch J-263 that I have. "TV-5" and "SDG5P"
Anyone know what those part nubers mean? I'm assuming that this switch will be able to take the current that this amplifier demands. It looks to be the same exact switch, just a different part number. It's a shame that I can't find ANY info online about old Alps switches...

It's a shame that I can't find ANY info online about old Alps switches...

Bet someone on AK has the information, perhaps a new thread looking for it.

I have always powered mine on with a power bar, leaving the switch in the on position.

Thanks! I was able to procure the original power switch online by doing a little digging and cross referencing. I'll have to buy a pack of those buttons. If you get them, let me know how they fit with your unit!
It fit great only thing is the top is concave instead of convex but fits great

Ok,I am picking up my Luxman M-4000 this week and wanted to share a design flaw that we discovered the plastic clips that hold the pc boards in place and are conductors distort over time and warp pic included they hard-wired each pc board and put them back in. If anyone wants to use this guy he says he can do them much faster now that he has spent all this time figuring it out. Luxman connector failure.jpg lexman m-4000 rewire.jpg Luxman wiring nightmare.jpg

You need some power hungry speakers to get those LEDs to light and the meters to dance. Looks like the amp is sleeping with those tunes playing.

Don't forget to post up your impressions in comparison to your other amps in the old high end forum. Mistakenly housed in the system building section of AK instead of out in public view right there between Solid State and Tube in the main area.

You need some power hungry speakers to get those LEDs to light and the meters to dance. Looks like the amp is sleeping with those tunes playing.

Don't forget to post up your impressions in comparison to your other amps in the old high end forum. Mistakenly housed in the system building section of AK instead of out in public view right there between Solid State and Tube in the main area.
I used to have a pair of KEF 104/2's hooked up to the Luxman, which maxed the meters out regularly :D
I'll have to post in that forum sometime soon. I have a lot to say about the luxman ;)

Drizzly overcast day here, glad I stumbled back on this thread. I believe I'll dust off the M-2000 and put it through it's paces today.

Mmmmmmm...........................Luxman!

Back
Top Bottom