Luxman might be under the weather...

Darren James

So, I have an R-115 that I bought last year. Now I have only played it occasionally, but I swear I hear distortion on one side only. It sounds like when you push a cheap stereo real loud.... Volume is fine, I am running it in bypass mode and regular and it's the same.......

Any immediate thoughts on basic distortion symptoms...

A hardy thanks in advance!
DJ

I just got a R-114, and it started displaying dropped and distorted volume on one channel. I had given it a deoxit run through. I’m also getting popping in the speakers when I shut down. If I deselect the speakers this doesn’t occur. I believe the cause of that is the one speaker relay. The dropped distorted problem recently went away, another symptom of speaker relay?

A lot of google searching points to the relays being problematic for your 115 description, also dropping out.
Do a bit of searching on 115 relays. Tapping them, opening up and cleaning contacts, reflowing solder connections or outright replacement seems to be the suggestions.
Good luck

A lot of google searching points to the relays being problematic for your 115 description, also dropping out.
Do a bit of searching on 115 relays. Tapping them, opening up and cleaning contacts, reflowing solder connections or outright replacement seems to be the suggestions.
Good luck

I've had several R-115's, the one I currently have exhibits the speaker relay problem @markkb mentions try some deoxit hopefully that will help if not then speaker relay could be the culprit.

So, I have an R-115 that I bought last year. Now I have only played it occasionally, but I swear I hear distortion on one side only. It sounds like when you push a cheap stereo real loud.... Volume is fine, I am running it in bypass mode and regular and it's the same.......

Any immediate thoughts on basic distortion symptoms...

A hardy thanks in advance!
DJ

Your description sounds like clipping. To check on what is going on will take some real troubleshooting abilities. If you have access to an oscilloscope and some "dummy loads" you will want to run a sine wave through the machine on both channels with the outputs terminated in the dummy loads and look at the output waveforms of the 2 channels on the scope. I suspect that the channel that sounds fine will show a nice smooth sine wave and the bad one will show some distortion. This can be caused by poor contact in the protection relays, as Markkb has indicated, one side of the contacts being dirty and making bad contact or one of the output transistors has gone south on you.

That is where I would start. My wife's old HK 330 is showing the same symptoms but I have not gotten into it yet.

Good Luck.

Shelly_D

Back
Top Bottom