Luxman PD-272 Turntable

willyrover

Just picked up this turntable. Was prepared to pay $70 for it but when I arrived, the lady said she just noticed that the tip of the needle was missing from the Ortofon OM cartridge. She felt so bad since I'd driven quite a ways to pick it up that she said if I wanted to get a new stylus that I could have the table. I ended up giving her $20 for it and I am waiting on a new stylus.

Anyway, haven't found much on the forum about this unit. Anyone else own one that could comment?

Also, I'm sure 20$ was a good deal. I was reasonably sure $70 was a good deal. Anyone know what these units sell for? Or any blue book info?

Thanks.

It's all set up waiting for the new OM10. I even built a preamp for it since my Rotel Pre-Amp doesn't have a phono input (D'OH!!) Well, actually I took the pre-amp from a Technics TT that had a built in pre, gave it it's own power supply, stuck it in a project box with some RCA's and a grounding post, power switch, and an LED and voila. I called it the "Model 1" because I'm sure I will be building something better in the near future.

This setup:
*Luxman PD-272
*Rotel RC-970BX PreAmp
*Rotel RCD-955AX CD Player
*Eico HF-12 Amps
*Mission 700-2 Speakers

Last edited:
Nice score. The luxman turntables are simple in design, not saying that is a bad thing. The higher end vacum TTs like the PD-300 go for some coin and are harder to find, however a PD-272 for $20 is a $20 well spent.

Your asked for comments: I used to have a PD-272. Nice to look at but it didn't sound all that good compared to my Dual 721 and Sony PS-X75 so I sold it on E-Bay for $100.00, which is what I paid for it.

From what I recall being told by experts the Luxman tonearm was the culprit, relatively high mass with resonance. Not the best design, but well made nonetheless. However, if you're not TOO critical, it should do just fine.

For $20.00, you certainly can't complain! GOOD JOB!

Cosmetically, it would have been great if they'd put a real wood veneer on the plinth rather than the vinyl. Then it would look SENSATIONAL. Sorry, I've got this "thing" against vinyl on otherwise classy audio gear. Clearly a decent turntable for what you paid.

Did your's come with the dustcover? If not, a missing dustcover kills the value of a turntable even it if has nothing to do with performance. Sand dustcover, $70.00 would be a fair price. For $20.00....a SCORE!!

-- Chris

Congrats on that turntable, unlike vintagestereo I think you did awsesome in landing one of these in prime codition. That is a grace tonearm and IS NOT high mass, I have a feeling that you will enjoy this table.
Bill

Au contraire -- that's the original arm on that table. I agree with those who feel that the low end Lux tables are a bit disappointing -- vinyl or not, they look great, almost just like the high end ones, but the platters and plinths are light are somewhat resonant, and the arm is not as good as it looks -- yes its higher mass than it appears, but the bearings are the real problem, since they are knife edge, and chatter very easily. I wonder if a bit of damping -- STP for example -- in those bearings might transform the arm.
But here's the deal -- you got a decent turntable with very nice looks for almost no money -- thats a deal. And some work on adding mass to the plinth and damping the platter and arm might move it up to a much higher performance level. So congrats!

That was my first turntable. I bought it new around 1980 or so. I thought it really sounded good. Enjoy!

Nat said:
Au contraire -- that's the original arm on that table. I agree with those who feel that the low end Lux tables are a bit disappointing -- vinyl or not, they look great, almost just like the high end ones, but the platters and plinths are light are somewhat resonant, and the arm is not as good as it looks -- yes its higher mass than it appears, but the bearings are the real problem, since they are knife edge, and chatter very easily. I wonder if a bit of damping -- STP for example -- in those bearings might transform the arm.
But here's the deal -- you got a decent turntable with very nice looks for almost no money -- thats a deal. And some work on adding mass to the plinth and damping the platter and arm might move it up to a much higher performance level. So congrats!

Nat, upon closer look your right about that arm. My mistake.....and like you said he still got a banging deal on a TT.

Thanks for your replies. Still trying to find original retail price and blue book info on it just to satisfy my curiosity.

I particularly like the how the table looks. IMO it's a turntable that is "display worthy". I know Lux made much higher end tables but I still hope it is a step up from my Marantz 6100 ($20 @ Buy & Sell) or my Pioneer PL-117D ($5 Garage Sale).

1976 MRSP $345, current retail of $150 in excellent condition with the dustcover. In decent condition for $20, is definitely a score. While not a great TT, is very nice looking and worthy of a decent cartridge, like the OM10. Have you checked the Vinyl Engine library? He may have a manual or two for it there.

Also, since you own this TT you might get more and better info over in the TT forum. See if you can get the moderator to move the thread over there. And, go over there and do a search on Luxman TTs. There was a fairly extensive one running a few weeks ago with considerably more info on various Luxman TTs.

willyrover said:
but I still hope it is a step up from my Marantz 6100 ($20 @ Buy & Sell) or my Pioneer PL-117D ($5 Garage Sale).

No doubt about that. Those tables are not held in much regard. How could you even wonder????? :scratch2:

Nat said:
the arm is not as good as it looks -- yes its higher mass than it appears, but the bearings are the real problem, since they are knife edge, and chatter very easily.

Now you've got me curious!

I've got one of the arms (TA-1?) and it doesn't appear to be knife edge but rather a shaft bearing of some sort with adjusting screws on either end. I'll have to take it apart for a look later and post a picture of what I find.

So the Ortofon stylus finally arrived today. I promptly balanced the arm, set it to 1.5g and started playing some "sealed up to this moment" vinyl. Yuck. Wasn't impressed. The amps have since warmed up for about an hour and now she's really singing. Sound good even with my little DIY phono stage.

I was one step short of hanging the damn thing from the ceiling to eliminate the "just audible" buzz I was getting at my loudest listening volume. I tried grounding this to that with no improvement. The only two things that helped were wrapping the whole box in tinfoil with good contact to the RCA shields - or actually holding the shields. One solution was unsightly and the other just a little inconvenient. Finally put on a 6ft pair of AR cables and put it on the top shelf of my rack. No buzz.

Anyway, my next phono stage will be built in a metal box rather than plastic since shielding of the box itself seems to be the problem.

By the way, what is "knife edge" and "STP" ??

Attachments are an aftermarket knife edge bearing for an SME tonearm and the bearing hub from the Luxman.

Luxman appears to be a cylindrical shaft set in two collars with bearing adjustment screws each end.

Attachments

• sme_bearing2.jpg
    sme_bearing2.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 119
  • luxman-bearing.jpg
    luxman-bearing.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 156
I know this is an old thread but for those searching for information, I will second what vintagestereo said--a very good-looking unit and well made, but never sounded very good. I bought one new and LOVED the killer good looks. I tried various cartridges including my first and only MC, but never found what I thought was a match. Pride of ownership was high at first but eventually the so-so sound sort of soured me on it. It went through various dorm-room and apartment moves, was stolen and recovered, and it got beat up a fair amount. I finally I left it with a friend of a friend who promised to send me $50 or $100 for it (I forget) but never did.

While some have said that $20 is a great deal for it, my experience is that there are lots of used vintage TT's out there that actually do sound good, and all things considered I would go with the music first--my recommendation would be to take a few hundred bucks even if you have to save up, then go on the vintage adventure and find something that you like the sound of, get the proper cart for it, get it restored if you have to, get it set up right.

Enjoyable vintage TTs for not much money are out there. Life is short and it's the music that matters, so even for $20 I don't think listening to a blah-sounding TT is actually a good deal. Why even bother with vinyl if the sound isn't rewarding? Just my 2¢.

Back
Top Bottom