Luxman PD-375

I am looking for a pair of dust cover hinges for the Luxman PD-375 dustcover. I have the dust cover in excellent condition but the hinges were missing when I bought the turntable. Please PM me if you have a pair available.

I am still looking for dust cover hinges for my luxman PD-375. Bumping this just in case any happens to be parting one out.

The hinges are not proprietary. I found a single one on eBay after a long search. I think it came from a Linn but it was a while ago and my memory may be off. I still have my 375 but rarely play it. I still believe that is looks much better than it performs even with a Grace F-9 cartridge. I much prefer the PD 131 and PD 441 which are the mainstays of my first and second systems. Far more versatile in that I use a Mitchel Technoarm/ Denon DL 103r with the latter and a Stax carbon fiber UA-7/ Sumiko Bluebird Special with the former.

The hinges are not proprietary. I found a single one on eBay after a long search. I think it came from a Linn but it was a while ago and my memory may be off. I still have my 375 but rarely play it. I still believe that is looks much better than it performs even with a Grace F-9 cartridge. I much prefer the PD 131 and PD 441 which are the mainstays of my first and second systems. Far more versatile in that I use a Mitchel Technoarm/ Denon DL 103r with the latter and a Stax carbon fiber UA-7/ Sumiko Bluebird Special with the former.

Can you send me some good pictures of the hinges so I know exactly what I'm looking for?

I still would hear an occasional scrapping sound, which got more frequent.

your comment regarding the rubber bumpers is interesting, did you happen to confirm in perhaps a
parts list what Lux calls them?

First thing that came to mind was a type of safety transit thing meant to be removed.

Don't recall seeing any rubber bumpers but it has been a while. One thing you will need if you forgo the suction is the thick rubber platter insert. It only fits the PD 375 and might not be easy to find unless someone is parting out their deck. it is thicker than the rubber lip so the record is totally supported by the mat. One thing I should mention is that the power relay went south suddenly on mine so I replaced it and recapped the power supply as an added precaution. PD 121/131s are nearly bullet proof (other than the strobe), built like tanks and remain underrated as hi-end turntables. If you ever see one for a good price which unfortunately is not so common anymore, I would grab it!

Don't recall seeing any rubber bumpers but it has been a while. One thing you will need if you forgo the suction is the thick rubber platter insert. It only fits the PD 375 and might not be easy to find unless someone is parting out their deck. it is thicker than the rubber lip so the record is totally supported by the mat. One thing I should mention is that the power relay went south suddenly on mine so I replaced it and recapped the power supply as an added precaution. PD 121/131s are nearly bullet proof (other than the strobe), built like tanks and remain underrated as hi-end turntables. If you ever see one for a good price which unfortunately is not so common anymore, I would grab it!

Part 39 on the service manual, just calls them a spacer.
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/luxman/pd-375.shtml

Bumping this thread (hope that's ok) as there seems to be lots of Luxman turntable knowledge in this thread! I have just acquired a very nice PD-375 with all the accessories. The VDS system seems to be functioning as it will lock and release the platter when turned on and off. The platter spins but there is a scraping noise. I removed the platter and running with the motor only there is still some scraping noise. I don't see anything mechanically coming into contact with the rotating section of the motor, so I'm wondering if it needs lubrication? Anyone know how to open up one of these motors?

Thanks!

Bumping this thread (hope that's ok) as there seems to be lots of Luxman turntable knowledge in this thread! I have just acquired a very nice PD-375 with all the accessories. The VDS system seems to be functioning as it will lock and release the platter when turned on and off. The platter spins but there is a scraping noise. I removed the platter and running with the motor only there is still some scraping noise. I don't see anything mechanically coming into contact with the rotating section of the motor, so I'm wondering if it needs lubrication? Anyone know how to open up one of these motors?

Thanks!

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

Have a look through the owner's and service manual's trouble shooting section before opening up the motor. :music:
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/luxman/pd-375.shtml

Look closely at the rotor of the motor. It may be scraping against the pcb underneath. Sometimes a flake of the magnet comes loose and gets in the gap. If the rotor isn't scraping against the pcb, you will have to remove the rotor and check the bearing.

Look closely at the rotor of the motor. It may be scraping against the pcb underneath. Sometimes a flake of the magnet comes loose and gets in the gap. If the rotor isn't scraping against the pcb, you will have to remove the rotor and check the bearing.

Thanks, I'll check for that. Do you know the process for removing the rotor to check the bearing? Just pull up on the rotor until it comes loose or is there some sort of fastener? Looking from the bottom of the motor I don't see anything that looks like a bolt or screw head.

Thanks, I'll check for that. Do you know the process for removing the rotor to check the bearing? Just pull up on the rotor until it comes loose or is there some sort of fastener? Looking from the bottom of the motor I don't see anything that looks like a bolt or screw head.
It's been a while since I had mine apart, so I don't remember. Usually on DD motors the rotor just lifts up. Be careful not to let it drop on the pcb.

It's been a while since I had mine apart, so I don't remember. Usually on DD motors the rotor just lifts up. Be careful not to let it drop on the pcb.

Thank you for that helpful information! It was a simple matter of removing two bent metal clips that look like they prevent the rotor from falling out if the table is inverted during shipping. The rotor then lifted out with a pop. The bearing looks absolutely perfect and there still seems to be lubrication oil present. Is there any need to add more/new oil and , if so, what type would be recommended? The source of the scraping noise was easy to see: There are two semi-circular flat magnets mounted to the underside of the rotor edge and a section of one of these has lifted due to the old glue becoming brittle and failing. It should be a simple matter to carefully remove these magnets, clean the surfaces, and reapply with adhesive. I happen to have some "magnet bonder" two part adhesive for repairing loudspeaker motors, so it should work perfectly.

Lube with light lithium grease.
Mark each magnet and put a mating mark on the plate so you put them back in the correct orientation.

Lube with light lithium grease.
Mark each magnet and put a mating mark on the plate so you put them back in the correct orientation.

Perfect, I use lithium grease on my VPI bearing. One more question for everyone, what is the preferred cleaning solution for brushed and machined aluminum parts on vintage electronics? I know that Windex and other ammonia based cleaners are a no-no as they can dull the finish and cause blotchy spots, and can also remove silk-screened lettering. I will use a proper rubber conditioner for the vacuum lip on the platter.

Thank you dr*audio for your assistance and recommendations! I was able to successfully re-glue the outer rotor flat magnet strips and the scraping noise is now gone. :) The platter spins nice and freely and there are no untoward noises at with 33.3 or 45 rpm. While I have this table on the bench I am going to go through and inspect all of the electrolytic capacitors and replace as necessary. I will also lube all of the arm and vacuum mechanism points with a little grease and use the service manual procedures to make sure all of the auto functions are set correctly, and that speed is set correctly. I'd still like some advise on cleaning the brushed aluminum plinth and specifically the brush platter edge and surface...I see many posts talking about polishing platters, but I would not want anything abrasive that might ruin the brush marks. This table was owned by a smoker at some point, so a good cleaning is needed. I am going to assume that the rubber lips on the platter can removed easily, or are they held in with adhesive? To that point, is there a cleaner that is safe to use on the rubber lips?

I would clean the aluminum surfaces with alcohol. I would not attempt to remove the rubber ring. Clean it in place with Caig RBR.

Hi, i have just bought a pd-375, the tonearm lifter is broken.
is it possible to find a replacement part? i don't want to improvise a replacement.
on the service manual the part number is: 36 (wz1145)

Back
Top Bottom