Luxman R-115 deoxit/general cleaning

nick_ville

I have finally got around to opening my Luxman R-115 for some cleaning. Noticed a bit of static in the pots, and sound would periodically cut out in a channel which could be resolved by pressing some buttons in and out (loudness, sub-sonic, etc).

I can get at the balance pots, and I think the switches (hopefully they handle Deoxit well), well enough to get some deoxit in there. But I believe that the volume pot is enclosed within a little metal box, and I don't know if I have the confidence to try and disassemble everything to get at it. The volume knob is motorized and I believe the motor is the large thing behind the box. I tried to spray a bit of deoxit into the box through a hole or two directed at what looks to be the pot, but I don't know if this will be enough.

Will I likely need to really take this thing apart to get at that pot?

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 88
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 77
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
That box doesn't look too air tight. Just soak that bastard with a good amount of the stuff. Some'll get in. Keep twisting it and you'll feel it gets looser. That's the solution doing its job.

My R-115 volume pot needed constant cleaning with Deoxit 5. I finally unsoldered it from it's PCB. I removed the the yellow worm gear and it's spring which makes turning the pot much easier. I sprayed Deoxit into the opening from the bottom and followed the cleaning procedures from AK. I've resoldered it back together and so far so good. We'll see if one channel drops out or becomes staticky in a few weeks which I was experiencing before I decided to really clean it.

Attachments

• vol pot.JPG
    vol pot.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 55
Have done the same( without deassembling the pot) just sprayed inside with contact cleaner... and solved the problem! So now i know it's a dirty pot problem and the balance pot was doin the same. Will order deoxit and will redo full cleanup...

Thanx for these input

Back
Top Bottom