Luxman R-115 or Nakamichi TA-3A?

myu701

Vintage futurist
I've seen so much praise given for the Luxman R-115 and R-117 receivers, so I've had them on my "future list" for quite a while. But I've also taken notice of the Nakamichi STASIS TA-3A and TA-4A receivers. Kotofei posted a really great writeup of a shootout between the TA-4A and R-117, pretty much leaving it as a tie overall (different character in each, but both excellent performers).

Anyway, I've got a receiver that suits me well at the moment, but that itch to try a Nakamichi or Luxman just doesn't want to let up. The R-117 in really good shape seems to command over $300 fairly regularly on the auction market. The Nakamichi TA-4A comes around a lot less often and when it does it usually beats the top end selling prices for the R-117. But both of them are a bit beefy for my needs anyway, and I'd rather stick to their younger siblings for now... the TA-3A and R-115.

So the toss up... TA-3A or R-115? They're both rated at about the same output wattage, but the TA-3A is a Nelson Pass design that is highly regarded. It sounds like it would "fill the room" a bit more than the R-115. Both have pre-outs/main-in, so they can serve as strictly a preamp or amp. The R-115 is a little more visually appealing to me, and would blend in well with other black faced components. And the R-115 is supposed to be more reliable than the R-117. Other than a couple of undersized OEM resistors that should be replaced on the main board, it sounds like the TA-3A is reasonably reliable.

Prices for both on "that auction site" seem to fluctuate in about the same range, depending upon condition and included accessories. If you had to make a choice between them at the same price point, which one would it be and why?

Last edited:
I don't buy the reliability thing you mentioned on the 115. The motor-driven pots get flakey and the small buttons need the usual de-oxit, what else is new, it's vintage or near enough.

Heard both in stock form. That review was apples and oranges: a recapped vs. a stock unit; not a fair way to tell. Don't read too much into it.

Depends on your speakers and listening habits really. Up at this level, synergy and personal preference takes over. Big jump up to the 117, that's a closer match to the Nak soundwise.

Last edited:
Interesting to hear that, Susurus. Of course, de-oxit issues are rather easy to address. More serious issues reported could be due to owner neglect, not checking the health of the receiver before pushing it as if it were new.

The effects of recapping are of course very dependent upon the condition of the existing components. Who knows what the difference is between the ones used in either unit. I'm not so sure that degradation will be uniform, as there could be other variations at play (exceptional, deficient, or normal quality caps; environmental exposure accelerating or retarding erosion).

Anyway I decided to give a TA-3A a try. I picked one up for $140 with remote and manual in excellent condition. Initial tests sound very good. There was an improvement after allowing the receiver to warm up for a good 30 minutes... not sure if that had anything to do with the amount of time since the last time the receiver was last used to any appreciable extent. But so far, I like it. :)

Nak_TA-3A_fr.jpg

Nak_TA-3A_rm.jpg

I'm a sucker for the Nak Stasis and Yamaha CR series looks. They mean business just standing still!:thmbsp:

^ I agree; I'm also fond of the CR-10xx/20xx series. This TA-3A is very solid. Very interesting layout of components. Plenty of discrete circuitry. Rather large heat sink running through the middle. It's heavier than some receivers that are physically larger. Just in picking it up you get the feeling this is a quality unit. The only "negative" I've found so far is that it runs rather warm, more so than other receivers I have, so it's important to keep the top vents uncovered.

Thanks for the pic with the green lights. Cool!

Some gear just runs hot...the bias could be pushed up or it's supposed to be that way. My in-spec C-4 pre runs hot...and sounds great. Another reason to rotate gear by the season.

CR-1020 found a new home this week, here it was getting stared at but not played...now it's top dog in somebody's smaller collection, and should be appreciated. :yes: New owner spins vinyl too. :thmbsp:

Yeah, I'm a big fan of green lights and LED's. I find them easier on the eyes than red. Although I have to admit I do like the look of matte black faced Yamaha gear with red lighting. :)

I haven't checked the bias... thanks for reminding me to do that! Yeah, could be it's off. You never know. I did manage to read up on the Nak receivers and saw some mention about them running a bit warm. Of course, that's a nebulous statement, but to mention it means that it's probably a little above average.

Good to hear you gave the CR-1020 a new home. It's a very nice unit, but if other gear takes priority then it's just superfluous in your collection. I think I'll be offloading an old Pioneer soon... SX-1000TW. I love the looks of it and it's got nice sound for 50wpc, but other gear takes priority.

^ Nice Yamaha gear there, Susurus. Those big glowing square colored buttons remind me of controls from the old Star Trek series. ;)

I did check DC offset on my TA-3A and got L:26.8mV/R:18.8mV. So it's definitely running close to spec in that regard. I opened the case and had a look around... they really packed in the components on this one. I've never seen a receiver this heavy with such a low profile. I'm actually preferring the form factor over the noticeably taller TA-4A. Anyway, next task will be to replace those two power resistors on the main PCB that are known to fail.

One note about the Luxman R-115: it has two sets of pre-out jacks, but no main-in jacks. Those are on the 117.

Luxman 117

I have 7 receivers but for the money nothing compares to the Luxman R-117 I scored with remote for $275.00.......Very impressive unit......

Everyone has their opinions, but for me I would stick with the Naks of that time. I am more partial to the Luxmans of the 70's than those of the Alpine era.

Star Trek-ky look is right! :yes:

The Yammis have a rest night; testing a new KR-8300 through the Luxman R-1050. Going silver.

That photo seems to have a weird artifact; hard to get the black anodized front to show proper contrast so this was a time exposure. That C-4's Tone Bypass light looks green in real life. Yep of my M-2's, M-4's and C-4's, about half of the square button lights disappear some of the time. And sometimes they come back to life. :dunno:

Maybe it has to do with the Perseid meteor showers...

Back
Top Bottom