Luxman R-117 score, it's all true!

I was looking at a Luxman TP-114, but saw some comments in another thread that without the remote you couldn't select the other inputs for feed to the amp. I can't find the manual anywhere on the net. I was just wondering if the tuner/preamp combo is as functional as my current Yamaha CX-830 and the TX-950 thats in transit as we speak. I like the Yamaha sound and was wondering how the TP-114 would compare.

Stop it, just stop it. There is just too much talk about Luxman sound quality and the prices of their components has risen out of our general 'cheap as dirt' category we like to see for used stuff, except the guy that beat the AKer to a C-03/M-03 combo (200 wpc) for $75. Oh well, I'm as much to blame as anyone. So back to our regular programming.

I'm sure Bigears and our friend Chris would appreciate this question. Is the R-117 the BEST 80's receiver?

I'll admit, I haven't heard them all but here are the one's I have. TOTL only...

Sony STR-GX10ES (150 wpc)
NAD 7600 (150 wpc)
Carver Receiver (130 wpc)
Carver HR-772 (150 wpc)
Onkyo TX-108 (100 wpc)
Kenwood KR-1000 (120 wpc?)
Luxman RX-103 (75 wpc)
Pioneer SX-3900 (120 wpc)
Concept 12.0D (120 wpc)
Yamaha R-2000 (150 wpc)

The RX-103 is 90 wpc, a little more than the 75 wpc stated, and one amazing piece of audio history.

Cheers

Old thread.
R-117 is excellent! Had for about 4 years now. Power and musical.... Have had many pass through. Thanks to AK I bought one in my market years ago.
Do not pass if you see 1 cheap!

For those interested a Harmony 350 remote will run many of the functions, to get all the functions of the original remote, you have to do tricks. The original is a better unit, but the 359 will satisfy most.

I have its baby brother R-113 which has excellent sound and build quality but much less power (still ample for my use). It is a more modern piece that easily compares to my vintage stuff. Stupidly I passed up a remote for it at the sally ann for 2 bucks about 3 months before I picked it up; lesson learned -- always buy cool remotes when found for cheap.

I also have a R-113 and I believe that unit does not have remote capability, only the 115 and 117 had remotes. It sits on my desk at work. Yes I am a believer in overkill.

I like how these old threads come back. Yes - the Harmony remotes can control the old units, but in all cases the original remote will be better IME.

R-117 nice amp.

It's good to see this thread still has some life!

I've had my R-117 for about 5 years and when I first got it, it sound a bit dull. Pots needed cleaning but the volume control was still a little scratchy. Didn't sound any better, so it just sat until recently when I decided to sell it. Figured I'd thoroughly clean the volume pot so pulled it out, flushed it with D5 and then sprayed some lube in it. When I cranked it up I was surprised at how good it sounded, and surprised that cleaning the volume would have such a pronounced effect..I mean it was only a little scratchy..

I've measured the DC offset and got 0.00 across all terminals. Problem is this receiver idles warm and runs hot so am wondering if this is normal?

Also I'd like to set the bias on this but need help in that regard.

So this unit went from going on eBay to joining the ranks of my Keepers!

I have gotten in the habit of using the flat notebook computer fans (twin fan design) for cooling all my receivers/amps.
Makes a notable difference, and extends the life of the equipment. This has worked well with the Luxman.
Some noise, but not noticed once music starts playing.
Have the Panamax surge protector hooked to a power strip which I keep off when not in use.
Hit the switch, fan and equipment start power up. If switch fails, easily replaced.

I have gotten in the habit of using the flat notebook computer fans (twin fan design) for cooling all my receivers/amps.
Makes a notable difference, and extends the life of the equipment. This has worked well with the Luxman.
Have the Panamax surge protector hooked to a power strip which I keep off when not in use.
Hit the switch, fan and equipment start power up. If switch fails, easily replaced.

That's a good idea.
I think one of the reasons this thing runs hot is it's electronics are compacted into the case with very little breathing room.

I have a luxman r-117 also with the remote I love It I also run twin fans with fine screen air filters

R117 what's the short comings of the phono ?I am close to doing a deal but use my phono about 97% of the time. Would I be better to use an external phono stage?

Back
Top Bottom