Luxman - snap crackle pop

KLH9

A Double Pair Sounds OK
I have started acquiring older (1970's) Luxman gear. I did not want to but it just seems to find me....

I have a 1050 that was working fine. Then one day out of the blue it started crackling (meters jumping)

I lined up all the "usual suspects" (source, volume, heat, etc) but none of these

Noise is with any input/source and at any volume level (even with volume off).

The lights have always been out on this one so I think finding someone to do a restore is better than just a "fix" as I have other Luxman components that need work.

It's been a while since I had one of the 1050's "de-cased" but I believe they are mostly single layer boards and bread board (just wired together components) with no ICs, just xistors, resistors, capacitors.

Is there someone who is good at upgrading these older units?

I don't want to just google for someone and take my chances.

Yes, there are folks around the world. Where are you so you can keep shipping damage to a minimum or are you going to ship it in an indestructible heavy box and the cost of shipping is no problem?

Wild guess, but it sounds like a cracked solder joint somewhere. Those can make all kinds of noise, and usually respond to being tapped or moved. If its from the 70s it probably needs the usual old gear refresh but the noise may not be anything particularly dire.

Ditto's Blue' almost amusing how often that even senior posters who have not posted their location.. don't get a response for repair tech service.

Currently in south (usa)

Heading up to the great white North soon

After stopping in the mid Atlantic region for a few weeks

Have shipping double boxes so anywhere as long as they are good

Last edited:
Have shipping double boxes so anywhere as long as they are good

Tom at Northridge Electronics in Northridge CA is excellent with Luxman gear. Shipping will be close to the value of the unit but he is good. There are other good folks and many AKers that aren't listed but may contact you or get a mention here. Some have to be in the South, GW North and Mid Atlantic regions so you can hopefully save that hundred some bucks shipping.

Do you know electronics? Do you have a scope? You can trace where the noise comes from.

1)You did not say whether the cracking noise is on both channels or just one side. This makes a big difference.

2) when you change the bass and treble, dose the cracking sound change with the control?

If the cracking sound is on one side only, your problem is limited to the circuit between the volume to the output. If the cracking is on both channels, you also can look at an old cap that is breaking down. You should be able to see the just with the scope if you probe the rails that sync with the cracking.

Noise "appears" to be on right channel from the meter deflection.

I had the Lux hooked to the JR-149s so once it started making non musical sounds, that was the end of that. I have some speakers I can hook to it for more testing but no scope, dummy loads, or generator here.

We listed this house for sale today so I'm limited on the "messes" I can make.

The 1050 is 40 +/-years old and would benefit with a complete restore. Maybe I should box it up until I am settled into another place. I do have another, working 1050 so not "tuneless".

I will be moving the McIntosh down from the cabin this year which will make the Luxmans redundant. They were rebuilt by the factory a 2-3 years ago

JRs driven by Mc were unbelievable last time I heard them.

If it's on one channel, it's one channel of the amp. When you settle down, you need to put on a pair of "fuse" speaker for testing. jiggle the wires, tap on the pcb to rule out loose wire and cold solder. If you don't have any test equipment, you have to send it out after the jiggling and tapping as it will involve electronics. I don't think it's as simple as loose wiring, good chance is some component like caps that start leaking.

Is it very predictable that it will start cracking after certain amount of time you turn on the amp? Or it can start at any random time? If it is more predictable, it's component failure.

Noise "appears" to be on right channel from the meter deflection.

I had the Lux hooked to the JR-149s so once it started making non musical sounds, that was the end of that. I have some speakers I can hook to it for more testing but no scope, dummy loads, or generator here.

We listed this house for sale today so I'm limited on the "messes" I can make.

The 1050 is 40 +/-years old and would benefit with a complete restore. Maybe I should box it up until I am settled into another place. I do have another, working 1050 so not "tuneless".

I will be moving the McIntosh down from the cabin this year which will make the Luxmans redundant. They were rebuilt by the factory a 2-3 years ago

JRs driven by Mc were unbelievable last time I heard them.
I know its a old thread but did you ever fix the issue. I have a Luxman r1040 doing same thing, loud crackling noise with meters jumping around with volume all the way down.

Back
Top Bottom