Lyle Lovett

Lucifigus

I am quite new to modern high fidelity. I am a gray haired curmudgeon whose music was centered on the early 60s to the mid 80s. I had a brother ten years my senior who exposed me to pop music when I was very young. When I was in my late 20s I enjoyed pretty fine music with moderately high end gear, with over 1200 titles in vinyl and CDs. Over the years, many moves and other issues all got in the way of the dedicated pursuit of high end music. Recently I took the plunge and run FLAC files from JRiver to a NAD D 1050 though an Woo Audio WA2, with upgraded tubes, into Beyer T1.2s. It’s difficult to describe the personal involvement and sense of immersion with this music system compared to my previous experiences. It’s a pretty damn fine bliss point for me, and I have a jeezly big grin on these days.

I recently ripped my Lyle Lovett collection of CDs; standard red book quality. There are many discussions about up-sampling, and the distinct quality differences from more detailed source. This all may be true, but the overall quality of Lovett’s albums shows through. His work is very well recorded and produced; great instrumentation and fabulous arrangements – sometimes instruments are introduced two minutes into a song. It leans acoustic, but his use of horns is pretty well done. All of this is supporting fabulous songwriting and vocal. If you’re looking for well done, enjoyable acoustic music to delight in high fidelity, it’s hard to beat the consistency of Lyle.

Lyle Lovett & Vince Gill are coming to town (San Jose) on March 28th. Should be an awesome show. Good stuff.

Joshua Judges Ruth is exceptional audiophile stuff -
but he has a LOT of great sounding music, and puts on a fun show!
Seen him sharing the billing with kdlang twice ...

He's touring our area again this summer with the Large Band

Last edited:
Heard him live with the "Big Band" and have always been very impressed. I'm far from a "Country" fan which kept me away from Lyle's work for some time, but now this is one of my favorite albums:

500x500.jpg

And I'll bet we heard that album at the same listening party, Phil!

(The regular red book recording is superb - no need for the audiophile (DTS) version -
they messed that one up!!

I used "Pontiac" to sell a lot of gear back in the day. Great sounding album, title track is killer. Love him as an artist as well and I introduced him to a lot of people by using his music to demo.

I used "Pontiac" to sell a lot of gear back in the day. Great sounding album, title track is killer. Love him as an artist as well and I introduced him to a lot of people by using his music to demo.
I picked up a copy of Pontiac on cassette a few weeks back and was very impressed with the sound and production although I wish it was on vinyl. All I had heard of him is what I heard on the radio,which is not much. I will definetly look for more from Mr.Lovett.

I have no idea why Lyle is not a HUGE star... he's a great songwriter and performer.

Saw him a couple of years ago at a small venue in an acoustic setting with John Hiatt. Just the two of them on stage with guitars; it was amazing.

I picked up a copy of Pontiac on cassette a few weeks back and was very impressed with the sound and production although I wish it was on vinyl. All I had heard of him is what I heard on the radio,which is not much. I will definetly look for more from Mr.Lovett.

Pontiac is a fantastic album; I listen to it often.

I have no idea why Lyle is not a HUGE star... he's a great songwriter and performer.

Saw him a couple of years ago at a small venue in an acoustic setting with John Hiatt. Just the two of them on stage with guitars; it was amazing.
Those two are coming around my neck of the woods for a show soon. If I can afford the tickets maybe I'll check them out.

I'm also not a country fan, at all, but like Lyle. Even if you don't generally like a genre, you can find exceptions that you like if you keep an open mind.

Lyle has a song where he writes about his experience meeting Julia Roberts' family. Basically, they called him ugly and it wasn't a great experience.

Saw him in Nashville many years back. Tremendous respect for him, right here.

I spent some time with Lyle Lovett at an event. He was about to make a statement and I did not want to bother him by talking to him. He seemed incredibly shy in person. I have never seen him perform live. I imagine his shyness has much to do with the nature of his work but IMO, an admirable lack of "celebrity" attitude.

While I am no fan of hat acts, I have long liked his music. I also find it well recorded, well written and well played.

Discounting classical and jazz, he might be one of my top 25 artists. Joshua Judges Ruth, Pontiac and Road To Ensenada are my favorites. He's consistently pretty great.

Saw him twice in Texas and once in Indiana years later touring with Sting. Great show.

In 9th and 10th grade jazz band, we did M-O-N-E-Y at some of our less traditional shows and it always went over well.

I've seen Lyle live under several venues and he is truely one of the greats of our time. Some great albums too...

And I'll bet we heard that album at the same listening party, Phil!
And that is the truth! While I found Becker's "11 Tracks of Whack" interesting, Lyle's "Joshua Judges Ruth" was simply a superb recording of compelling material performed by top-flight musicians.
:beerchug:

White Freightliner Blues is one of my all time favorite of his songs. He has a great band on the "Release Me" album.

Back
Top Bottom