M-4 vs M-60

milo63

Everett, WA
Subscriber
I've got a ratty M-60 and a nice C-2a that deserves a worthy companion.

The M-4 looks much more substantial in the nude, is that borne out in sound quality?

Hoping that the answer is "the M-60 is fine, don't waste your money".

I've got a ratty M-60 and a nice C-2a that deserves a worthy companion.

The M-4 looks much more substantial in the nude, is that borne out in sound quality?

Hoping that the answer is "the M-60 is fine, don't waste your money".
I like them both. M-60 has auto class A and more available power.

I’ve had both. The M-60 had a different sound, I’d say a little more bright than the M-4. Both were very nice though. Good bass control either way.
I paired them both with an unrestored C-2a and they both seemed to get along well. I don’t have either anymore so won’t be able to see what they’re like on a restored example.

I’d say it would have more to do with your speakers and how the amp worked with them.

Personally I like the M-4 quite a bit better than the M-60. Not that the M-60 sounds worse it is just that I love the build quality of the M-4. It is truly a robust and solid built amplifier that has a pleasant signature to it. The M-60 and M-80 amps I’ve been into always seemed like they were a bit more fragile in construction and the components often saw some duress for whatever reason. The M-4s I’ve been into always seem like they take a licking and keep on ticking.

M-4 was my very first Yamaha separate power amplifier. The M-45 was my second.I still have the original M-4 but sold the M-45.

I have 2 each M-65 , M-80,M-4. A single MX-2000.M-2 ,MX-1,MX-2. Three B-6's. Probably others I can't think of at the minute.

Back
Top Bottom