M-Audio AV40's + Vinyl

What speaker wires should I get for this set up?

Also, I will want to us these speakers with my TV too. What do I need in order to be able to do so?

Thanks

Last edited:
What speaker wires should I get for this set up?

Also, I will want to us these speakers with my TV too. What do I need in order to be able to do so?

Thanks
16 or 14 gauge wire. RCA 14 gauge works fine for me and it's $20 for a 100 foot spool. No need for fancy speaker wires.

It depends on your TV. If your TV has a line or headphone output, you can hook it up with a standard RCA cable or a 1/8" to RCA cable. If your TV has only an optical output, you'll need a DAC to make it work. You'd also have to go into the TV settings and set the digital output to stereo.

And what type of wire would I need to connect my laptop to the receiver? I have an aux chord but the aux jack on the front of the receiver is too big

And what type of wire would I need to connect my laptop to the receiver? I have an aux chord but the aux jack on the front of the receiver is too big
You'd want a 1/8" to RCA cable. They're available on Amazon for $10 or less. Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ESM3FM6/ref=twister_B01B16LO0Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1. I bought the 6 ft version recently and like the build quality. There are plenty of others available as well.

The "aux" jack on the front is actually a headphone output, not an input. The size of that is 1/4". You may need a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter, which can be had cheap as well, if you want to use headphones with it.

This 3.5mm to RCA is nicer and more expensive than I usually buy but the one I was using was picking up noise from all the other amps. I use it for streaming Spotify from a cell phone to a vintage Kenwood amp. I took care of the problem instantly. Most of the time cheap cords and cables are just fine but once in a great while one needs a more shielded one.

The set above look absolutely fine, but if you have to pay shipping from Amazon then they are not a good deal. If one is a Prime member then it is a good deal it looks like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291914156337?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

$8.82 shipped.

For cables, I would see if any Radio Shack's are still open in your area. They are going out of business(or so I hear), so you will likely find a good price on the Auvio brand of cables. I've used a few of them, their 1/8" to dual RCA is on my computer audio system as we speak. Any decent OFC(oxygen free copper) of 16 gauge or larger speaker cable will do(I assume the runs are fairly short, 8 ft or less?) Don't worry about connectors, bare wire will be fine.

For a noob, the most important thing should be simply to HAVE sound. Get a decent set-up that works, worry about making it better AFTER you listen for awhile, and find out where the weak links are. It's all about the quality of the signal that reaches the speakers, and not necessarily how much power you have driving them. And speakers are the most important link in the chain. Cables are waaay down on the list, unless you just have crap. Your Luxman won't know the difference between $3 interconnect cables and $300 cables. I spend about $30/pair, myself. Not the best, but not the worst, works for me. This is one hobby that is definitely 'all about you,' whoever you are. YOU are the one who has to listen to it. And good only lasts until you hear something better. Welcome to the addiction....

Be sure to let us know what you think of them, after a week or so of breaking in. I'll be very surprised if you like the sound of your powered speakers better!!!

Alright, so here's my current setup: http://imgur.com/a/7zWoP. It's a work in progress. Any suggestions on what I should use as a table/stand/rack for my turntable and receiver? I've had trouble finding something that would fit underneath the tv. I know, I should probably do away with the wood table and get an entirely new entertainment system to fit everything properly. I haven't listened to any vinyl yet, but my digital .FLAC files sound AMAZING THROUGH THESE SPEAKERS, HOLY SHIT.

Alright, so here's my current setup: http://imgur.com/a/7zWoP. It's a work in progress. Any suggestions on what I should use as a table/stand/rack for my turntable and receiver? I've had trouble finding something that would fit underneath the tv. I know, I should probably do away with the wood table and get an entirely new entertainment system to fit everything properly. I haven't listened to any vinyl yet, but my digital .FLAC files sound AMAZING THROUGH THESE SPEAKERS, HOLY SHIT.

There are thousands of choices for TV/Stereo stands but for now find anything that will get them off of the ground. When you buy something new maybe look for something that will be able to handle a bigger TV than you have now. TVs keep getting bigger and cheaper and a bit more room for components is always a good idea. One other thing is that I have a stand now that is now fully enclosed on the back and I hate it when I need to get the receiver out to change something.....it happens more than one might think. My next stand will at least have wider shelves so I can reach behind the receiver more easily.

Well, the turntable doesn't sound too hot - probably need a new one. No idea what I'm doing when it comes to playing vinyl.This one hasn't been used since the 80's though. I guess I'll worry about that later. As for my laptop, I should be hooking that up to the AUX terminals, right? They aren't color coded. How am I supposed to know which wire goes in which AUX jack? I just want to make sure I'm doing this right haha.

Thanks

You will need a 3.5mm to 2 RCA jack cable..... This picture I took a while back just shows the better shielded cable. Plug the 3.5 into your computers sound card out and the RCA jacks into the AUX of your receiver.

17426056_1472849019401707_1438481805298163311_n.jpg

I have a 3.5mm to 2 RCA jack cable plugged into the AUX, music playing - sounds good, but my laptop is turned up to 60% and the volume on the receiver is about a third of the way turned up. I feel like I should be getting much louder volume levels than I am. It really isn't that loud at all. Makes me think I'm doing something wrong.

Edit: Must be something to do with this Maxx Audio Pro program on my Dell laptop. I had it turned off - turned it on and it's much louder. I feel like that shouldn't be necessary though.

How do the B6's sound with the Luxman, as compared to the powered speakers you were using?

Oops, just noticed the 'holy shit" part a couple of posts back. Enuff said...

Got the turntable working properly. I've listened to the Bob Dylan 'Desire' album 4 times today. Stunning clarity. I'm so stoked. I highly recommend the B6 Luxman combo.

I have a 3.5mm to 2 RCA jack cable plugged into the AUX, music playing - sounds good, but my laptop is turned up to 60% and the volume on the receiver is about a third of the way turned up. I feel like I should be getting much louder volume levels than I am. It really isn't that loud at all. Makes me think I'm doing something wrong.

Edit: Must be something to do with this Maxx Audio Pro program on my Dell laptop. I had it turned off - turned it on and it's much louder. I feel like that shouldn't be necessary though.

60% volume is not a lot, your amp needs the signal that it needs. Try moving it up to about 80%.

60% volume is not a lot, your amp needs the signal that it needs. Try moving it up to about 80%.
I always use 100%. That represents full line level on (as far as I know) all soundcards and DACs. And you never have to worry about quality loss due to digital volume controls (that may or may not be lossy).

Well OTF, you're exhibiting some of the symptoms, but there IS still hope for you. I mean, you're not sick, exactly. Yet. You're not REALLY an audiophiliac until you get to the point where you can't wait for everyone else to leave so you can move the coffee table out of the way, put the B6's on the stands you keep hidden under a blanket in the closet, move them a little further into the room in a perfect equilateral triangle with your listening position, playing with toe-in and such, diddling with the tone controls, and keeping a box of Kleenex handy in case you should have to wipe away a tear, or more likely a small puddle of drool, from sheer enjoyment. And, it's always good to mention that some people never really develop those last more serious symptoms until someone else mentions them like it's a good idea or someth.... oops. Ennnnyway, enjoy the ride!

Last edited:
I ended up going with the B6's in Walnut from Amazon. The walnut color is an exclusive to Music Direct, which I think is cool. Also bought the cables that were recommended. Should be arriving late this week or early next. Excited to say the least. Thanks a ton for the input, everyone!
I just picked up a pair of the walnut B6s and will be hooking them up to my HK twin powered 630. Can't wait to hear them after reading some of the reviews. And they look beautiful rather than the standard basic black. Be interested in seeing your impressions on what they sound like in your system.

Back
Top Bottom