M97xE - I'm on Board!

Is it an own language family, or is it a family that can be found in other parts of the globe.
it can be found in northern New England, southern Quebec. And the language group can be found scattered across the US and lower Canada. Similar pronounced words. ie M'itzi (my group) is pronounced "Michi", or "Gitchi", upper midwst or Missis middle lower Midwest. Hekk even the word Canada is pronounced K'na-n-dinka in my dialect. Canada in one group means "old woman land", in my language it means "my grandmothers land"

How soon before the fight starts on who's language is better? I'm sure the OP is interested in that.:idea:

it can be found in northern New England, southern Quebec. And the language group can be found scattered across the US and lower Canada. Similar pronounced words. ie M'itzi (my group) is pronounced "Michi", or "Gitchi", upper midwst or Missis middle lower Midwest. Hekk even the word Canada is pronounced K'na-n-dinka in my dialect. Canada in one group means "old woman land", in my language it means "my grandmothers land"

Ok, interesting. But it cannot be found outside North America, like in northen Asia or Russia?
I guess the ancestors came too early to North America for this?

Ok, interesting. But it cannot be found outside North America, like in northen Asia or Russia?

If anything, something may have survived centuries from upper middle Russia, as that is probably the area of migration from where my folks originated some 13,000 years ago. The migration(s) from Asia(Siberia) across Alaska happened later and are different people. And then of course, some language may have roots in upper Europe as the influx of the Vikings into our area around 1000AD

If anything, something may have survived centuries from upper middle Russia, as that is probably the area of migration from where my folks originated some 13,000 years ago. The migration(s) from Asia(Siberia) across Alaska happened later and are different people. And then of course, some language may have roots in upper Europe as the influx of the Vikings into our area around 1000AD

Thanks, very interesting. I guess You are seing it likely that the first people came across parts of Beringia. Vikings were extremely brutal, they brought home female slaves from all over the world, some of them also stayed in different places as warriors.

I viewed a schematic from my phone, it's hard to read but I think I saw two 100k in parallel.

I would take this question to the Pioneer or Solid State forum and see what others know about your phono input.

Good luck.

Yup, I asked the Big Guns over at the Pioneer page. Thanks again for your thoughts.

I just received my new M97xE yesterday, and it performs MUCH better than I expected. I am so used to my AT's and their sound, now I really see the difference. Not that the AT sound is a bad thing, but I've now realized they are seem very CD like, and I always had to hold the treble pot back to 10:00 position. The M97xE is NOT dull at all on my system as some do find. I am using the cart right now with my Dual 1219/SX-750/Forte-1 set-up. Got lucky with the original interconnects I suppose.

I've only played 3 albums so far (This is Moody Blues, Let it Bleed, and Go-Gos debut) and one mono 45 ('63 Tymes Wonderful Wonderful) with it so far. The M97xE has very silky smooth detail, HUGE bass, and pleasant high end with NO fatigue. I can now run my treble pot at center flat position. This is the sound I was hoping to get with an NOS stylus I found for my V15-II, but it was a dud maybe due to it's age. Maybe now I've found that real "warm" vinyl sound. Can't wait to try it on my Jazz LP's.

The only negative I've noticed, and it is VERY minimal, is that I heard extremely slight LP inner grove breakdown on the "Let It Bleed" track of that album. Unless a record was previously trashed, I've never heard IGD with my AT440-MLA before, and that is the only cart I have so far that I can say that about. I may still have tweaking to do with the M97xE however.

Trust me on this one..... When you can, get a LP Gear vivid line for it. The inner groove distortion will go away, and the MUSIC will REALLY jump out at you. Those VL's they sell just might be the best aftermarket bargain stylus out there today.

Trust me on this one..... When you can, get a LP Gear vivid line for it. The inner groove distortion will go away, and the MUSIC will REALLY jump out at you. Those VL's they sell just might be the best aftermarket bargain stylus out there today.
I've read good things about the VL stylus and definitely want to get one for my M97xE, which I really like. I got an Ed Saunders V15VxMR stylus for it awhile back, but that was way too bright (not 'real' ES anymore I fear), and I went back to the N97xE stylus......actually, I went back to the Denon DL103.;):rockon: But the Shure is a gem for the cost.:thumbsup:

82pf is the phono input capacitive load to use to determine the total capacitive load and should be added to the contribution from the turntable cables and tone arm wires.

Ok - Got me a meter with capacitance capability.

82pf = confirmed at phono section (by Pioneer gurus).
100pf = measured at tonearm (headshell removed)
400pf = measured at cables (7ft). :eek: (I thought they were originals, maybe not).

582pf = total. I'm too high for what this cart really likes by design.

To go lower, in my "Cable bag" I found some 3' monster-link 100's that measure at 110pf.
This drops it down to 292pf, just at the high end of the "spec". Until I get some fancier cables, I'll try this for a while.

Better than the JICO non SAS replacement?

I have a JICO in my Shure V15ii and I love it. In fact, I prefer that pair a bit over the Shure M97xe. I will order one in a couple of weeks.

Ok - Got me a meter with capacitance capability.

82pf = confirmed at phono section (by Pioneer gurus).
100pf = measured at tonearm (headshell removed)
400pf = measured at cables (7ft). :eek: (I thought they were originals, maybe not).

582pf = total. I'm too high for what this cart really likes by design.

To go lower, in my "Cable bag" I found some 3' monster-link 100's that measure at 110pf.
This drops it down to 292pf, just at the high end of the "spec". Until I get some fancier cables, I'll try this for a while.

I don't remember if anyone referenced it yet, but TNT-Audio has an interesting article entitled "Load the Magnets" that measures the M97xE using a few different loading options. They didn't use your particular situation (varying capacitance while maintaining a 47k resistance), but it does let you see how changing the load in different ways affects the frequency response. I like one of their conclusions, "The 75k // 370pF case is the flattest, but only extends to 14kHz. The 75k // 150pF case has the widest treble response, but this at the cost of a deeper midrange suckout. Now tell me, which loading will sound the best? Answer: there is no best. Taste will dictate. Which suggests that any closed formula for this problem is indicative at best, and misleading at worst." http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/load_the_magnets_e.html

In other words, feel free to experiment and use whatever sounds best to you. Werner Ogiers seems to favor increasing the resistance to 75k to get more treble response, but it was interesting to me to see how closely the M97xE's response at the manufacturer's recommended load matches the response deviations that J. Gordon Holt found to sound the most natural (in his article "Down with Flat" at Stereophile). With my present turntable, I have no idea what the total capacitance is; Rega doesn't give this specification for the RP3 and I have not bothered to buy a meter to measure it. Whatever it is, I like the result.

Better than the JICO non SAS replacement?

I have a JICO in my Shure V15ii and I love it. In fact, I prefer that pair a bit over the Shure M97xe. I will order one in a couple of weeks.

The Jico is brighter. I need to tone it down for most albums. The VL is just nice and smooth, without being overly bright or 'middy'. The key to the VL is in the break in - you'll know the moment you found it ;)

#@%$ !! (curse word)

m97xe just a little over 1yr old... dead left channel

maybe only 25-30 hrs on it

mounted it only once on a Genuine Technics Headshell. Took it out of rotation about 10 weeks ago and stored it in my safe place with other mounted headsells

This morning I wanted to hear it again... Nope, left channel died while sitting out. Have checked everything 2x

Damn shame Shure's QC is so shoddy these days

Last edited:
Did you check the cart-headshell wires and contacts? It may be a good try to reverse the channels in the wiring and see what you get.

Damn shame Shure's QC is so shoddy these days
It's a shame yours died. Have you tried contacting Shure service? I think my M97xE bodies only had a 1-year warranty on them, but Shure's website mentions a 2-year warranty at present. Maybe they can fix it for you.

just got back home

called the 800# and the dept I need to talk to is closed for today

will call again tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom