MA 252

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by barsur, Apr 23, 2017.

1. addman27

addman27 New Member

With this hobby the 'craziness' NEVER ends. : ) Be curious to hear your feedback on the 252.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Darell

Darell New Member

DSC_0366.jpg DSC_0364.jpg DSC_0362.jpg

My MA252 came in the other day...waiting on the delivery of XR50 today so I can start listening to it!

3. addman27

addman27 New Member

Darell likes this.
  4. ajward549

ajward549 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Darell likes this.
  5. ron-c

ron-c AK Subscriber Subscriber

Orange means tube warm up, Green means time to play music.
    Ron-C

ajward549 likes this.
  6. ajward549

Can the green be turned off?

7. ron-c

ron-c AK Subscriber Subscriber

Green is normal operation, Red is Power Guard or Sentry Monitor which is shorted wire or speaker. Orange is warm up. If you shut the amp off then the function LED tube indicators will be off.

Ron-C

8. Darell

Darell New Member

DSC_0390.jpg DSC_0392.jpg Photos of my 252 along with XR50 Speakers!

9. 'cisco

'cisco Well-Known Member

Congrats Dario...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  10. vince_pgh

vince_pgh New Member

What's your listening impression for MA252? Especially to tube amplification.
    Thanks

11. Billnapabill

Billnapabill New Member

Here’s my MA252 hooked up to a set of SVS Ultra’s. For me, McIntosh knocked it out of the park with this unit. The price was ok, the unit provides rich, full music quality. I’ve never owned a tube unit before but had heard several and I am impressed with the “fullness” of the sound this little jewel puts out. I love the ability to tune each input separately, so when you tune in the Phono channel it doesn’t change the CD channel settings. I also like the simple 2 controls on the face of the unit, all you have, normally, is input selection and volume. You press and hold the input selector to get into the input settings, names, and display mode. Just set it and forget it. I like the tubes with the led indicator on them, they actually have a function. They are normally green but change to orange if there’s chipping or a heat problem. I can’t find anything about this amp to criticize, I would have liked to have had another speaker output and a selector switch, A,B or Both, but i can’t say that would have prevented me from this purchase.

5D55298F-D9EC-4B53-8912-51DF2AF1C08A.jpeg

12. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Super Member

Seems like a near perfect integrated amp (with the notable exception of lacking line output jacks to record vinyl).

13. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Super Member

What brand of output transistors does McIntosh install in the MA252?

14. pwrfulpete

pwrfulpete New Member

I'm currently powering a pair of Kef Ls50s with the MA-252...nothing but good things to say about the sound. I'm very interested in opinions of mating this amp with the xr50's as a possible upgrade to the Kefs'; would this be worth the upgrade? I understand listening is subjective, but appreciate feedback...

15. Darell

Darell New Member

Perfect match in heaven with XR50...I am very much enjoying its fullness, huge soundstage, and Bass is well define!

16. pwrfulpete

pwrfulpete New Member

thanks! I'll see if i can get to dealer to audition...seems some of the other thread posts on the xr50 indicate they need power to bring out the best sound, since you have the same amp your feedback is appreciated....

17. pwrfulpete

pwrfulpete New Member

btw its my first piece of mc gear so I'm curious to know how this product sounds amongst the "classic" mc family by comparison; My reference system is magnepan 1.7's powered by psaudio M700's.....this pairing also made me realize proper power to the speaker makes all the difference, previously i was driving the maggies with a 50w tube ARC; absolutely no comparison - the M700's totally transformed the listening experience.

18. Billnapabill

Billnapabill New Member

Some wondered what the remote looked like, here it is along with the other things in the box besides the amp.

D33A1515-AFD0-49D0-8E3E-9BBA7E5DFB6C.jpeg

19. ajward549

Finally able to see/hear the 252 in person this past weekend. Aesthetically I like it even more in person than I expected! This was at my local Best Buy/Magnolia, and I had a tired five year old in tow, so I wasn’t able to really get a hands on view. The sales guy was very helpful and knowledgeable, and answered many of my questions. Unfortunately the demo unit was hooked up to a large pair of Sony floor standing speakers that sounded a bit bright. Not a good judge of ability or what it may be like in my system with my Wharfdales.

Eventually plan to return to the store and measure the 252 and figure out if/where I could place it - and take my headphones for a trial listening session. Sure would love to jump right in, but so many factors need to be considered...

Last edited: May 22, 2018 at 10:18 AM