ma 6200 vs ma6500?

Chimbot

Hey all,
I currently run a ma6200 (and really dig it still) but have a opportunity to buy a ma6500 at a decent price. Can anyone tell me what some sonic differences may be with these two amps? I know the 6500 has more power but is there a much better "soundstage" with this amp? I have Cornwalls and a newly acquired Mofi Ultradeck TT (which is awesome!) Anyone ever have both of these amps at one time or another?o_O

Unlike most audio critics I generally avoid discussing the 'soundstage' thing but I will tell you that the MA6500 produces sound with utmost authority. At the same time, it's capable of astonishing delicacy to go alongside that undeniable gravity. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Unlike most audio critics I generally avoid discussing the 'soundstage' thing but I will tell you that the MA6500 produces sound with utmost authority. At the same time, it's capable of astonishing delicacy to go alongside that undeniable gravity. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Thank you for yr input! I like that description of "the utmost authority" I like the tone eq knobs of the ma6200 but I also think that with a Mac, having just a bass & Treb control is plenty enough as well.

The 6500 is quieter, much lower distortion there fore easily producing finer details. It doesn't have graphic tone, controls the mode selector, or loudness controls. Both are direct coupled. I would look for a later model with Graphic tone controls. But you will have to accept autoformers. The difference will depend on how short your speaker lines are and what wire gauge you are using. If you follow Macs recommendations that shouldn't be an issue. It would be great time to purchase one of the units with the plug in digital module if you can. If digital is your thing or are considering it.

Last edited:
No autoformers in an MA 6200? I'm surprised! They're from the same era as the 2120/5 and 2200/5. Hmmm, What about the MAC 4100?

The 6500 is quieter, much lower distortion therefore easily producing finer details. It doesn't have graphic tone, controls the mode selector, or loudness controls.

However it has Big Blue Meters...
f.jpg

Both are direct coupled. I would look for a later model with Graphic tone controls. But you will have to accept autoformers.

There aren't any with graphic tone controls. The newer, more costly integrated models have 5- and 8-band tone controls but they are not graphic.
http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/categorylanding.aspx?CatId=IntegratedAmps

Mind you, if money grew on trees around here I'd happily own an MA7900. Although, it only has the five-band controls and I'd prefer the eight. But the ones with eight are just overkill for any purpose I'm ever going to have, and might break my back if I tried to lift them. There's no easy way out you know
index.php

XL_MA7900_Angle.jpg

It sure is beautiful. And it sure looks heavy. Then again they're not meant to be portable are they..

The shipping weight of the MA8000 is 133 lbs; actual unit 100 lbs. The MA7900 pictured is 93/75.
Question: are there any autoformer models which offer two sets of speaker outputs? I'm guessing there wouldn't be?

Last edited:
Mind you, if money grew on trees around here I'd happily own an MA7900. Although, it only has the five-band controls and I'd prefer the eight. But the ones with eight are just overkill for any purpose I'm ever going to have, and might break my back if I tried to lift them. There's no easy way out you know
index.php

XL_MA7900_Angle.jpg

It sure is beautiful. And it sure looks heavy. Then again they're not meant to be portable are they..

The shipping weight of the MA8000 is 133 lbs; actual unit 100 lbs. The MA7900 pictured is 93/75.
Question: are there any autoformer models which offer two sets of speaker outputs? I'm guessing there wouldn't be?

That thing is a beaut!!! Yup- looks HEAVY. Heavy on the wallet as well but I bet it sound friggin amazing tho'.

Well however you choose to call them 5 of them surpass convention treble and bass controls. I could see why you might want 8, But I would prefer to have a MEN 220 to smooth out all the irregularities first, and then you might find 5 to be adequate, though I would like to see a 5K control.

Back
Top Bottom