1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

MA5100 phono preamp?

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by bdmcn71, Aug 12, 2018.

1. bdmcn71

bdmcn71 New Member

Hi, so I ordered the Mani preamp for my ma5100. I have no idea if it will improve upon my built-in, which is sounding phenomenal.

Anyone have experience with phono preamps and a Mac 5100?

tx!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. sqlsavior

sqlsavior AK Subscriber Subscriber

If your Mac sounded like crap, I'd blame old capacitors. Because you say it sounds phenomenal, I would guess that the Mani may have a hard time beating it. But there are always surprises.

You tell us! :)

darkblue94 likes this.
  3. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

The Ma5100 was a sweet unit. Sounded nice, didn't have big power, was simple and when combined with a high output Ortofon cartridge from the time sounded great with a lot of different speakers. Todays MM cartridges put out about 6 to 8db less than an Ortofon MC with Step up transformers so the 5100 can sound a little noisy and maybe less than ideal with todays emphasis on the high frequencies with most cartridges. Of course back in the day MM cartridges were thin on the bass, too. You name it I tried it. Thou I found the 681 EE to be an acceptable choice back before V-15's came along. When a MA 5100 was used with Cornwalls from the period you could feyness the right bass balance by placing them near but not in corners and turning them in to cross just in front of you. For more horn sound have the center line cross behind you. Ma 5100's also matched up well with Bozaks from the Symphony on down. Yes the tweeter highs above 12,000 HZ were starting to roll off but that deemphasized the noisy 1/4 trk pre recorded tapes and curtailed a lot of LP distortion from spherical styli. This combination made long term listening easy. I had a 5100 for a while waiting on my 275 to be repaired. It. was better sounding than my previous MA 230 that could be a little edgy with marginal pre-recorded sounds. The 5100 was always smooth. And it controlled woofers better than the 2505. I fell in love with meters and is why I still have a 2505, it sounds great with electrostatic headphones. If I had a 5100 again I would want efficient speakers say above 98 db 4 ft 1 watt. Altec 604's, big Tannoys, Efficient JBL's, Ev model 6 or Georgians, Altec Carmels/Valencias. AR, KLH, Mcintosh speakers were just to demanding for the 5100 unless in a very small room. The sound was great, there just wasn't enough of it. We had owners that really liked rectilinear speakers with 5100's.

ajward549 and bdmcn71 like this.
  4. bdmcn71

bdmcn71 New Member

twiii... good info! thanks ... For speakers, I am in a good place with my Totem Forests. I hv a Thorens 165 with a V15vx cart, hyper-elliptical styli. My ma5100 sounds fantastic: smooth, detailed, warm, great dynamics, but ...

I’ve read such great things about the Mani preamp, I’m going to give it a try. I can’t imagine things sounding better ... but I will find out soon. Actually a slight backorder on the Mani, so I will have to wait a month or so.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  5. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

The MA 5100 is a nice little integrated amplifier. I love my example. Beautiful sound in top order (Mine a few years ago had a full Terry DeWick rebuild)

bdmcn71 likes this.
  6. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

you'll probably see an improvement as the Phono pre-amp ws a little noisy. Don't be surprised if your new external phono pre-amps is a little austere, That seem to be the fashion today.

Please register to disable this ad.