MA5100 turned past 12 o' clock; sounds bad

I feel like that is just a band-aid.
I'm sorry but your surrounding your TT with speakers, that's never a good thing. Having speakers that close together you might as well be listening to one of them unless your sitting 20 inches away from them, you'll never get any imaging like that. Have you heard of the magic triangle for speaker imaging? Your setting distance should be the same for left and right speakers, and the speakers should be the same distance apart as the setting distance. So if your sitting 8 feet from the left and right speakers, the left and right speakers need to be apart 8 feet.

field.jpg

Until you move the speakers or the turntable away from each other your going to get feedback. I don't think your getting vibration as much as the cartridge is picking up the sound waves in the air bouncing off walls.

Heres some things that can help..
Raise the TT up as high as the record display above it.
When playing a record, try taking the dust cover completely off. When it's hinged up, it's a satellite dish, when it's down it's a reflecting point and getting bombarded
with sound waves and it echoes inside it.

Since your still moving in, you might not be setup with to much decor around the room yet. Plants real, or dry or fake ones will help a lot. These help my room and break up reflections around the tables off the back wall.

IMG_3086.JPG IMG_0860.JPG IMG_3080.JPG

You need to confirm the turntable input is ok and that feedback is the issue.

We already know it's feedback, in fact I though it was feed back starting at post #1.

Thank you for the advice. I have always removed the dust cover and never left it on when listening to the TT.

I am going to triangulate the speakers and such this week and will report back. Can I leave the component where they are and move the speakers around or is that also no bueno? Again I appreciate all the help.

Can I leave the component where they are and move the speakers around or is that also no bueno?
Well the goal would be to get your speaker and seating spacing good and go from there. Since your tables mounted already and your moving the speakers, maybe try some plant decor around the table if needed. You can get real ones or look around Ikea or places like it that have dried or fake plants. The wife will like decor better than traditional acoustic panel treatment, think soft stuff and or things that break up flat reflective surfaces. Your wife might even enjoy shopping around for you, and being apart of what your doing.

IMG_3556.JPG IMG_3554.JPG IMG_3555.JPG IMG_3557.JPG

I just through this stuff out there for your to get the thinking flowing,

Nice ideas, thank you. What about putting egg crate foam things behind the speakers on the wall to stop the sound waves?

Alright, so I had to order some new speaker wire because what I had was too short. I moved the speakers as show in the above diagram and it actually works well in the room as far as looks is concerned. And guess what, the problem has stopped. I had it cranked without an issue!

Can't thank y'all enough!

Back
Top Bottom