1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

MA6100 keeps blowing rectifier diodes...

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by smartin53, Dec 11, 2017.

1. smartin53

smartin53 Well-Known Member

This a new issue...MA6100 worked but a few months ago blew a rectifier diode. I just got some new diodes just in case it was just worn out parts but nope. The same higher spec diode blew immediately and tripped the breaker again.

So...my immediate thought is that one of the main power transistors went.

Thoughts?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. clinic-audio

clinic-audio all on YAMAHA untill 1990

Hello smartin53

1)check where is the short before to replace any component
    2) if your diode is dead , there is a reason why
    3) if you get a short with your diode bridge , check your electrolytic capacitors , they don't like to be shorted
    4) take off the 4 TO3 output transistors and see if the short still there
    very strange that fuses (F5A) did not act

come back with report

CruzBay likes this.
  3. smartin53

smartin53 Well-Known Member

So to resurrect an old thread....I finally got back to the 6100. Ran through all of the above and found no issues.

Then I started rechecking my work and discovered one of the new diodes that blew was backwards. Oops dummy mistake. Replaced all and in the correct orientation this time and all is good. Unit is back up and running.

Tis possible in the process of checking all the components I corrected a hidden fault, but it is possible the root original issue was just a faulty diode.

CruzBay likes this.