MA8900 gotta get one!!

Module upgrade is not guarantee. OEM often changes its mind and move on to the next new product. The module upgrade will likely about 2k or more so most end user will move on.
I have seen so many OEMs with a marketing hype of module upgrade.

Kev...one of these has your name on it.....:music:

19145771_10156468255272575_9099330869946401626_n.jpg

Yeah, surely they are too heavy to stack that high on that pallet so I can take on off their hands!!
Kev...one of these has your name on it.....:music:

19145771_10156468255272575_9099330869946401626_n.jpg

Really?? I see it completely differently, I work in the music industry as an audio engineer and have done for over 30 years, I use digital gear all the time, a lot of the gear we we have interestingly enough is modular like this.
When I saw McIntosh had introduced this feature, I thought to myself, now there is a company listening ot its customers!!
So often have I seen discussions where someone brings this up, and as you would expect, McIntosh are going to lead the way.
For a start, obviously its OEM, and how on earth do you know how much it will cost? What's that based on?
With digital, people want to keep up, so McIntosh have gone modular with the DAC, its actually a very good thing, you watch it will become a standard feature on all their DAC loaded pre-amps....
McIntosh don't do marketing hype, have you not noticed that?

Module upgrade is not guarantee. OEM often changes its mind and move on to the next new product. The module upgrade will likely about 2k or more so most end user will move on.
I have seen so many OEMs with a marketing hype of module upgrade.

The MA8900 has a digital module DA1 that will be replaceable. The TM3 is the tuner module used in past older Mac products. Two different beasts.

As I have said elsewhere I hope the feature is expanded to new SS and tube pre-amps. They could also build a much more economical HT processor that handles video sources only. Then for anything stereo you would use one of the new pre-amps with the module and a pass -thru feature using a special input in the HT processor. This would allow you to choose the use of room equalization mode or not. Like having a Stereo pre-amp with a MEN 220, you could by pass.

Another thought might be to build stereo pre-amps with another port for a room equalization module, Odyssey or Room Perfect.

Mac isn't the first with the plug in idea, but I'll be darned if I can remember the others names. Lexicon, maybe?

Last edited:
Yes, Lexicon (my late brother used to work for them in Bedford, MA) do offer plugin module but it is no longer relevant.
Plugin idea is nice but backward compatible is another issue for the OEM. Then there is the marketing department is pushing for revenue. Most company, the marketing own the new product not the engineer department.

Last edited:
How good are you at predicting the future? Sometimes new features may require other internal modifications of use different connectors to talk to the outside world. In the audio or pro sound world are some of the plug-in upgrades from 3rd parties?

Earlier this year I purchased a Lampizator DAC and within a few months I sent it in for an upgrade. It's a great marketing strategy, but also a win-win scenario. The company makes more money, and you are happier because you have the latest and greatest without having to go through the pain of selling your existing equipment.

At least McIntosh are trying to introduce a feature which makes sense, generally speaking any pre-amp from McIntosh is quite a large investment, how boring to have to go through the process of selling on a perfectly good pre-amp in order to upgrade to the latest digital scenario.
Why not keep the pre-amp and spend whatever it is, which will probably be a LOT cheaper than buying a whole new pre-amp and losing money in the process. Although Mc's tend to hold their value, you never get back the full amount you invested, it doesn't make any sense to me.
OR, if you want to just keep what you have and your happy with it, then you can do that too.....

Look at all the perfectly good pre-amps out there like the C48 for example that people wont touch because it doesn't have the right or the most modern DAC in it, BUT imagine if you could buy one, and then later on when you feel you want to, buy the latest DAC and just plug that sucker in.....

How good are you at predicting the future? Sometimes new features may require other internal modifications of use different connectors to talk to the outside world. In the audio or pro sound world are some of the plug-in upgrades from 3rd parties?

I doubt it, the whole point is plug and play, there wont be anything more in that port than power, and analogue audio inputs, everything else will be on the plug in module....

In pro world, yes, some plug in modules are from 3rd parties.
We also have software and firmware upgrades every now and then to introduce new features and improve performance.

Back
Top Bottom