MA9000 on the Mc Site

MORTIS

Alien Member
Not sure there are any other changes besides the up-gradable DAC module, which is likely an improved DAC over what's built into the MA8000. And of course the heatsink logo.

XL_MA9000_Front_Top_Balanced.jpg

XL_MA9000_Back.jpg

Looking sharp, if I lived in the USA I'd be lining up for one, and it has the DA-1 removable DAC module....

I hope you all have deep pockets for this one. Make that price $10,500.

Last edited:
This thing will be an absolute keeper in my books if you can slip in a tuner module. Even if not, plug in a refurbished MR74 and be done for the rest of my life. I bet at $10,500 you would be saving money if you are not replacing it for the next 20-30 years.

This thing will be an absolute keeper in my books if you can slip in a tuner module. Even if not, plug in a refurbished MR74 and be done for the rest of my life. I bet at $10,500 you would be saving money if you are not replacing it for the next 20-30 years.
Let us know when you have purchased it.

Looks wonderful.

A friend mentioned that it's not Quad Balanced, have any of you guys compared Quad Balanced to non Quad Balanced McIntosh amps? And how important is it really?

Looks wonderful.

A friend mentioned that it's not Quad Balanced, have any of you guys compared Quad Balanced to non Quad Balanced McIntosh amps? And how important is it really?
I am guessing that the MA9000 is essentially a MC302 amp and a C52 preamp with the replaceable DAC module. Mac owners praise the Quad balanced circuitry. I wonder if you can really hear a difference.

Now where is the C 54, C 58 and C2700, or Maybe a MX 162. I think the next HT processor should be dedicated to AV inputs only. But with a special input for a different sort of Pass thru feature. Where analog audio passes thru either the Room perfect mode, or Odyssey mode from Pre-amp and then to t he integrated amp section. or Separate pre-amp and dedicated front channel amp. Sort of like having and isolated Men 220 section for the front channels, that could be by passed for guaranteed Pure Analog operation.

I am guessing that the MA9000 is essentially a MC302 amp and a C52 preamp with the replaceable DAC module. Mac owners praise the Quad balanced circuitry. I wonder if you can really hear a difference.

Well, we think we can, quad balanced just means better SNR and lower distortion, and this is from a family if amps that already have impressive specs....
I have a MC2205 and a MC452, I have owned a MC352 as well, rather large and obvious difference between the 2205 and 452, but the difference between a 302 and a 452.....you might not really even hear it, probably more expectation bias...I could have bought a 302 instead of the 452, they were both sitting there, but I just HAD to have the 452, everything that had been said about them.....it was a no brainer. But now when I think back, I probably should have got the 302 knowing what I know now.....(I wish I had that extra money I handed over!!)

I'd go one of these new integrated amps, its really good buying for what you get...

Well, we think we can, quad balanced just means better SNR and lower distortion, and this is from a family if amps that already have impressive specs....
I have a MC2205 and a MC452, I have owned a MC352 as well, rather large and obvious difference between the 2205 and 452, but the difference between a 302 and a 452.....you might not really even hear it, probably more expectation bias...I could have bought a 302 instead of the 452, they were both sitting there, but I just HAD to have the 452, everything that had been said about them.....it was a no brainer. But now when I think back, I probably should have got the 302 knowing what I know now.....(I wish I had that extra money I handed over!!)

I'd go one of these new integrated amps, its really good buying for what you get...
From reading your post I really doubt you can tell the difference with quad balanced. You state 'we think we can' and also, 'you might not really hear it.'

Also comparing an MC2205 and an MC452 is comparing amplifiers that are 30-35 years difference in age. Not exactly a true comparison in my book.

I imagine the difference would depend on the quality of the speaker you re driving. Speakers with resonant tweeters are very sensitive to the amp being connected. Similar things can be said for woofers. If woofers have a high Q and are well damped then different amps vices might not show. On the other hand speakers with low Q in large cabinets can be hit or miss with different amps. I always though there wasn't that much difference between 2255, 7270 and 7300. Especially when used with Altec, JBL and Klipsch horn loaded speakers.

I haven't heard the 452 seriously or the 302 either. 5 minutes here 3 minutes there. But the initial impression even at 12 to 20 watt levels was that neither matched a 1.2 K.. They both maybe better in the long run under the magnifying glass. But its like everything else in the world, if you like Nutty Coconut Ice cream on a hot day or a single malt scotch. A blend or coconut ice cream aren't going to make you happy. Where's the Flavor!!!!!!!!!! or should I say distortion?

Last edited:
I have compared bridged MC2500s to Quadbalanced MC1000s on XR290s. The MC1000s put off twice the heat dissipation more parts more heat. Bass on MC2500s more delicate damping factor perhaps. The MC1000s play highs more clear and distinct over 200 watts. MC2500 slightest fog on highs when really really pushed. Plus no fans on MC1000 to hear idling on after some spirited sessions.

The realism factor and singer or acoustic instruments in the room better on MC1000. Have not sold off MC2500s yet. I can tell difference and even my wife did. Quadbalanced is a winner with detailed low distortion speakers. Never a bit of detectable stress in amplification.

Last edited:
I have compared bridged MC2500s to Quadbalanced MC1000s on XR290s. The MC1000s put off twice the heat dissipation more parts more heat. Bass on MC2500s more delicate damping factor perhaps. The MC1000s play highs more clear and distinct over 200 watts. MC2500 slightest fog on highs when really really pushed. Plus no fans on MC1000 to hear idling on after some spirited sessions.

The realism factor and singer or acoustic instruments in the room better on MC1000. Have not sold off MC2500s yet. I can tell difference and even my wife did. Quadbalanced is a winner with detailed low distortion speakers. Never a bit of detectable stress in amplification.
Sorry, the McIntosh MC1000 is not quad balanced even though it may sound better than another Mac amp.

Yes it is. Review Ron C 's posts here on MC1000 and a list of all of McIntosh's quad balanced amps. They used different terms but was McIntosh's first amp with that circuit design. McIntosh settled on Quad balanced terminology later.

What is a Quad balanced amp? - audiokarma.org
I stand corrected. In a previous post I found, the MC1000 was not listed as one of the quad balanced models. It doesn't help that McIntosh used various terminology for this technology.

I stand corrected. In a previous post I found, the MC1000 was not listed as one of the quad balanced models. It doesn't help that McIntosh used various terminology for this technology.
Thats because back in the days of the MC352 MC1000 etc, McIntosh had not coined the Phrase "Quad Balanced", back then they called them "DOUBLE-BALANCED PUSH-PULL DESIGN".
I think we discussed this a while back, can't remember what the thread topic was though.....

Back
Top Bottom