MA9000 preamp

Brett Voss

Hi guys,

I've been reading for an hour or so and still haven't found a concrete answer anywhere.

Lost my home to the Woolsey Fire a month ago, and have to replace my C47 and MC252 (along with my b&w's and various kimberkable.)

I'm very interested in the MA9000 and was wondering which preamp do people think the MA9000 is closest to, tonally?

I read a few posts that mentioned the likely comparison would be the C52 but they seemed more like guessing without hearing.

It's been out for a while now. Just wondering what some more concrete thoughts are these days.

Thank you!

Brett

There is a review in one of the British magazines you should read. Its either HIFi + or HIFI news. The reviewer doesn't pull any punches.

The MA9000 is equivalent to the c52 preamp and the mc302 (at the time). The MA9000 would be priced cheaper than a Mac amp/preamp duo. I own the C52 and I would consider it the best Mac preamp I have owned.

I bet a C-52 is one of the best. But I have issues with all modern or current Mac pre-amps. Where's the record selector, the Mode switch, the independent tone controls. The variable loudness control. The processor loops for playback and record. I'd love to a current updated design of a C-40 with Moving Coil inputs and adjustment controls. and with the graphic tone controls split to adjust each channel independently. I like the idea of the remote balance and volume controls. I wish my MX 151 had a balance controls. Instead of having to go into the menu to change the speaker setting because someone screwed up the original stereo recording. Digital maybe more consistent, but that doesn't mean it always correct, far from it.

By the way Merry Christmas!.

Back
Top Bottom