Mac 1700 Receiver Volume Levels Very Different Aux Input vs. FM Tuner

rustnrot

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm new to this Mac 1700 Receiver. The FM works great and so does the Aux Input it seems. However, I would guess there is 20db of volume difference between the 2 sources. I have connected both a CD player line output as well as my computer to the aux input with the same results. Also, this is not to be confused with the volume control tracking problems as it has to do with the relative output of volume coming from the speakers when switched between the two sources.

I know it is not uncommon to have different volume outputs between sources especially when comparing a built in FM tuner to an Aux input. However, this seems to be rather excessive. Sure it can be corrected with the volume control but it sure would be nice to have levels that are close.

Before I look into troubleshooting this, I was wondering if this is normal for this unit?

I'm new to this Mac 1700 Receiver. The FM works great and so does the Aux Input it seems. However, I would guess there is 20db of volume difference between the 2 sources. I have connected both a CD player line output as well as my computer to the aux input with the same results. Also, this is not to be confused with the volume control tracking problems as it has to do with the relative output of volume coming from the speakers when switched between the two sources.

I know it is not uncommon to have different volume outputs between sources especially when comparing a built in FM tuner to an Aux input. However, this seems to be rather excessive. Sure it can be corrected with the volume control but it sure would be nice to have levels that are close.

Before I look into troubleshooting this, I was wondering if this is normal for this unit?

I have the same issue with mine . I bought it this last September and use it in my bedroom system

FM Broadcasts are usually heavily compressed and limited to make the stations sound louder, and have been since the seventies, or earlier, and more so aggressively later on..
Not unlike some CD`s in the mid nineties on, caught up in the "Loudness Wars", because, you know : "Louder sounding is better", even if it makes the music`s sound quality being broadcast, or played suck !!

So if your going to listen to FM and other sources, be sure to remember to turn the volume down before you switch to FM/AM, or purchase a tuner with variable output level.

I hope this helps you understand the reason.

OKB

That much difference in volume between the FM Tuner and Aux input does sound extreme. In most cases I found most CD's played louder than the FM Tuners. The important thing is will it play at nearly full power by 2 - 3 O'clock on the volume knob. You want some extra room for quite source material.

If it doesn't, I would call McIntosh and ask them. I assume you have tried different cables and inputs, and verified the output of your sources (possibly a setting issue). It may be malfunctioning if the aux inputs do not play loud enough. with an average CD.

FM significantly louder than all other inputs in MX110, MX113 and MAC1500 units that I own.

I just assumed it is normal in units of this vintage.

Back
Top Bottom