Mac 4100 Thrift Store Find. Pix fixed!

Mojoworkin

A Mac 4100 fell into my lap. (Serial BY 8862) Plugged 'er in and no sound. Then I noticed it's missing the pre in/out jumpers. Patched it with RCA cables and it started singing. Sounds fantastic! I'd characterize the sound as "authoritative." Takes whatever you give it, and it seems to say, "I got this" Just a little crunchy pots and switches here and there. Woohoo!

IMG_20180214_172330.jpg
I'm just dipping my toes into going under the covers of my gear, but I quickly got myself elbow-deep into this beast. Disassembly is pretty easygoing, and most stuff is in easy to access modules. I got the switches all cleaned up and reinstalled, but now the Mono switch won't latch. Grrr. Have to look into that. Selector switch is open in back and cleaned easily. EQ pots came out on a module. Couldn't get the Volume/balance module out. (tool issue) but looks easy enough.
IMG_20180218_160414.jpg
IMG_20180218_165106.jpg

I'm pretty impressed with the overall condition. Inside was remarkably clean, and nothing looks suspicious to my untrained eye. The case is a little funky. I bet some new contact paper would straighten things out

The worst news so far: There are some RCA jacks in the "Recorder" section that are pushed in and the wafer to which they are mounted is cracked. Also the #3 speaker jacks were loose on one side. Once I got inside, I found the mount was broken into several shards right at the rivet. (from the gorillas at Salvation Army no doubt) I guess carefully drill out rivets and replace? All the other RCA jacks are corroded. I'm sure there is an AK approved way to spiffing them up.IMG_20180214_162706.jpg

The inside of one of the knobs is a bit bodgered. Do the plastic doohikeys come out? Can I replace?

IMG_20180214_165855.jpg

The faceplate is in good shape but a wee bit crusty. Doing this work in my cushy storage space, so I almost never have what I need at hand I would have tried windex if I had it, but it did not clean up with isopropyl alcohol, so now I'm worried that's as good as it gets. I'm wary of getting too aggressive with scrubbing.

All the lamps work, but was contemplating replacing just because it's it's open. Are there good LED equivalents that look right? Is that heresy? What's with all the colored cellophane? The color seems a bit too warm. Is that an aftermarket thing, or is that how it is?
IMG_20180218_172440.jpg IMG_20180218_172703.jpg

Anything you'd recommend I do while it's cracked open?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Some of the knobs have a steel plate as a friction insert - it can fall out making them loose. I used a piece if plastic to take up the slack.
The volume unit is sealed, so you may not be able to spray it.

These are great units, once you have it fixed up, you will love it (and then want bigger/more Mc gear).

I'd leave the lamps.

Take you time and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Fixed the pics.

You will see from the photo of the knob that the metal piece is in there.

Volume pot is clean. It's the loudness pot that needs some love.

Can't wait to play with it some more.

All the lamps work, but was contemplating replacing just because it's it's open. Are there good LED equivalents that look right? Is that heresy? What's with all the colored cellophane? The color seems a bit too warm. Is that an aftermarket thing, or is that how it is?

Beautiful receiver but I agree the orange gels resulting in yellow dial and tuning meters are underwhelming.

I think it would look classy to use green LEDs for the dial glass and blue LEDs for the backlit tuning indicators. That's the classic MAC color scheme: green dial and blue meters. I put green LEDs in my MX110.

buttonedup.jpg

Last edited:
OK, you officially win. I thought a Luxman TP-117 was finally my entry into the thrift store big leagues, but if anyone's going to win the 2018 contest they're going to have to step up big time.

I am glad you found it though. Who knows what would have happened if someone who didn't know what they were looking at picked it up...

I am glad you found it though. Who knows what would have happened if someone who didn't know what they were looking at picked it up...

Well, the way it was priced, nobody would have bought it by accident, but I did alright.

I would totally go for a recap, but I am still cutting my teeth. I want my work to be on-par with the project.

Any thoughts on the speaker terminals or how to repair the busted RCA's? I'd be inclined to replace ALL of the RCA jacks, but don't know where to source these.

Back
Top Bottom