Mac car audio

pmsummer

simul justus et peccator
I don't pay much attention to car audio (even McClarion), but I noticed today that one of the VERY few options on Ford's new $150K Ford GT is a McIntosh head unit. Nice touch.
ph_gt_popup_3.jpg

Last edited:
If i was to ever spend alot of money for a car system id definetly put some Mcintosh in there....

.. Those headlights are hideous. looks like a tin baking pan flipped on its side with some lights.

Nice set-up.

The closet I've ever come to having McIntosh car audio was taking my MA-6100 in the floorboard of my car to have Davey O'Brien check it out at the Dealer Clinics.

A couple of years ago, I stopped at the local subaru dealer for a set of brochures and to look at a Volvo that was on the lot. After buying the Volvo (wife would not have anything to do with the small cars) I was waiting for the registration and my kid came running up to me an told me I had to buy the display car so when mom yelled at me to go outside to play my stereo since it was too loud in the house I could sit in the car an be happy. Walked over to the Sub and yep, it had the McIntosh system in it. The saleperson couldn't figure out how I could get so excited about a stereo in a car at my advanced age.

Originally posted by Brian
The saleperson couldn't figure out how I could get so excited about a stereo in a car at my advanced age.

LOL Brian.....That is funny!

BUt to be honest, a well designed car system can sound awfully better than most people think.

I had Scan-Speak midbass and tweeters, and well dampened doors with Dynamat, and a time correction device in my Alpine DAC's, which gave me awesome soundstaging. The people I showed it to who work in audio boutiques were quite impressed with the sound.

The Ford GT system was a very tough challenge. The system uses custom 5 1/4" two ways in the doors and a 8" sub in the center console. The amp is very compact and is 75/75 watts for the door speakers and 150 for the sub. The amp has an internal crossover and EQ for the whole system.
The sub also functions at a higher frequency midrange speaker where it throws a phantom center channel image on the windshield for center fill. The sub is 2" deep and uses a neo magnet inside the front of the cone suspended on a cast aluminum 'spider' frame.
All of the speakers are custom designed for the lowest possible weight and use neo magnets. The head unit is the normal MX406 CD/FM/AM unit with logo and trim color changes to match the GT.
The interior of the GT is metal and rubber for the most part so the acoustics are a challenge. Behind the driver and passenger's head is the 550 HP, EPA certified motor which tends to drown out the sound system.
To design this type of system required half of the McIntosh engineering department for many, many months. Car audio is always tougher to design than home audio. The GT is such a cool car though, all of the effort was worth wile.
Ron-C

If I had $145,000. to spend on a car that would be it. It's just about the fastest thing on the road according to popular mechanics magazine.

Back
Top Bottom