Mac computer question.......

Mr Natural

Malmborg in Plano
I am confused by the specs for Mac's.
Looking at a Powerbook G4 and the spec sez the processor is only at 1Ghz. :confused: huh?? I am under the impression these things are cutting edge, yet only 1G of speed? Most common PC based machines are nearing 3Ghz and the cheapest, bargin basement units are at least 2GHz.
Is it in the processor achitechture that doesn't require super high speeds that makes the Mac that good or what.
This laptop will be costing in the neighborhood of $3600:eek: so I figured that with that kind of price I should be getting some speed. My daughters Dell laptop was $2300 and the 'specs' seem to blow the Mac away, on paper. Yet, people who use Mac's say just the opposite.
Any comments?

Mr. Natch

In my humble opinion Macs suck, too expensive to buy, limited upgradability, limited software, and you can't build one yourself.

Like you say they do excel at some things but it's not enough of a reason to purchase one, unless you specifically need those things.

I do like their Ipod (tho once again cost is a factor) and they have some really nice flat panel monitors.

I will say one thing about Mac's. In all the years of printing and being married to a graphics designer I never once seen one crash. Wish I could say the same about my PC which crashes freaking daily :rolleyes:

Thanks for the helpful info Dave. Went to the Mac store today for a full blown demo and was mighty impressed. Actually, my son knew more about it than the salesperson, and he's the one I'm getting it for. He is a film major in college and the program they use is called Final Cut Pro. Wow! what a serious editing program. They were all impressed with his skill. I'm sure it was another woth while investment for the kid. He'll get many years of use out of it. Also, first time I have ever bought an extended warranty for anything. 4 yrs bumper to bumper for $230!! (plus 100 rebate)

Natch

That is where macs excel video and photo editing and stuff so your son is making the right choice.

Back
Top Bottom