Mac ma-6100

henter04

There is a local guy whose selling a Mcintosh ma-6100 and he says it's in very good condition. He wants $400 for it and I have been doing a lot of reading about the 6100 and looks like it is a good amp. Since I don't have any experience in the mac products, can somebody comment on the 6100 and is the price right? Positive and negative comments are most welcome so I can decide whether to get it or not. :yes:

That's about the going rate for one that is in very good shape but has not been checked out and serviced by a qualified technician. One from Audio Classics or McIntosh Audio is likely to sell in the $6 to 700 range - though they come with a guarantee.

I own a 6200 which is very good IMO. Some don't give as much respect for the 5100, 6100 and 6200 model integrateds because they do not use autoformers.

Number 9 said:
That's about the going rate for one that is in very good shape but has not been checked out and serviced by a qualified technician. One from Audio Classics or McIntosh Audio is likely to sell in the $6 to 700 range - though they come with a guarantee.

I own a 6200 which is very good IMO. Some don't give as much respect for the 5100, 6100 and 6200 model integrateds because they do not use autoformers.
What he said! :D

Carl

I’ve owned the MA 5100, 6100 and 6200. The MA 6100 is a nice unit. It has a very flexible pre-amp section with a multitude of inputs and the handy Mode Selector. The front panel layout is perfect with the early 70’s McIntosh symmetry and the “classy” full knobs shared with its cousin the C 28.

Its 70 Watts per channel is very adequate and it will drive two pairs of speakers. The only functionality that it is missing is Power Guard.

I would second Number 9’s comment about considering a completely checked out unit from Audio Classics or from Terry. I’ve been burned a few times by the “false economy” of obtaining an inexpensive unit only to have to send it to Audio Classics for repair or replacement of failed parts. The cost of potential repairs and shipping a heavy unit both ways (in it’s proper carton) is enough for me to shy away from those “bargain” McIntosh items. It is comforting to know that the McIntosh unit you get will perform like new and meet its original specs. You aren’t likely to get that from a seller who tells you it is “in very good condition”.

VintageMac

Or you buy it cheap and have it shipped directly to me for a full checkout and cleaning, this is starting to become common. I usually have one or two in the shop that were eBay sales shipped directly to me for a work over, this way you will have a known good fully tested unit out of the box with no problems and a pretty McIntosh shine......

dewickt said:
Or you buy it cheap and have it shipped directly to me for a full checkout and cleaning, this is starting to become common. I usually have one or two in the shop that were eBay sales shipped directly to me for a work over, this way you will have a known good fully tested unit out of the box with no problems and a pretty McIntosh shine......

It doesn't matter if you buy it cheap or not. You really want to send in your McIntosh unit into Terry. You may not realize it yet, but you really want to. And you will be glad you did. From my experience Terry's services cannot be beat. Not by Audio Classics, not by Modaferri, not by anyone.

2X :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom