Mac tech in WI

Bob in WI

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Got a MX112 that has been recapped but still needs attention (phono hums, tuner needs alignment, so forth). I'm not the guy to do the work... not even a little. I'm making the fix or sell decision. I have another (not Mac) piece that has been in for "repair" for 9 months - I should charge the guy rent! I'm looking for a competent & motivated technician. Suggestions appreciated. I'm in metro Milwaukee & am not averse to a Sunday drive out of town if thats what it takes. I really don't want to invest in specialty packaging to ship this....
Thanks

It’s a bit of a drive but Stereo Rehab in Chicago is supposed to be very good. I have not taken anything there (yet) I actually have an Mx112 too that needs service and the glass replaced. It works fine now but the tuner needs an alignment and probably a cap job. Good luck!

there's a pretty great cuban sandwich place across the street and a ton of good indian restaurants a little west of it

HA! That's what I saw on the map & thought " that would be a cool place to visit". It looked Indian & Middle Eastern to me but I just looked at the restaurant names on the map. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah , there's some interesting stuff around there. The Cuban sandwich shop is actually staffed by Colombians and serves Colombian food as well. It's in the back of a supermarket which is pretty much the go to for the local South American community.

A little further west the street turns Pakistani and then as you cross Western Avenue, it's Indian.

Further west still are the remnants of Russian and Eastern European Jewish strongholds (in fact there's a pretty interesting Georgian Bakery with a huge clay oven built into the floor, which IIRC is across the street from the Croatian Club of Chicago) . If you want more specific recommendations pm me

Well, so far this looks like great advice for ethnic food, but it's the service on your gear that's of greatest concern. Why not call McIntosh customer service and ask for the names of top tier service providers within 200 miles of Milwaukee. If it were my gear, I'll ship it to Audio Classics. I know they'd do a great job. I believe they'll even ship you empty packing cartons to make sure it is secure for the round trip.

While I've never had Casper fix any mac gear, he's fixed a few other things for me, most folks around here swear by his work

I believe the OP’s MX112 is listed in barter town?

Either way, I’ve read nothing but positive reviews and high praise regarding Casper at Stereo Rehab. Bringing an MX112 there soon for a recap and alignment.

Have you tried Audio Ventures in Waukesha. I know they used to specialize in Mac gear. I've bought from them. No affiliation.
upload_2019-1-23_18-52-56.png

Or this place may be able to help. They deal in high end gear and repairs:

Ultra Fidelis
7125 West North Avenue,
Wauwatosa, WI, 53213,
United States
414-221-0200

MIC

Last edited:
I believe the OP’s MX112 is listed in barter town?

Either way, I’ve read nothing but positive reviews and high praise regarding Casper at Stereo Rehab. Bringing an MX112 there soon for a recap and alignment.

It is in BT. I sell it to someone with skills or have it finished. Its been recapped - its the other stuff that needs to be done. I'd prefer to keep it but I have alternatives if there's interest in the Mac.

Last edited:
Have you tried Audio Ventures in Waukesha. I know they used to specialize in Mac gear. I've bought from them. No affiliation.
View attachment 1396124

Or this place may be able to help. They deal in high end gear and repairs:

Ultra Fidelis
7125 West North Avenue,
Wauwatosa, WI, 53213,
United States
414-221-0200

MIC

Bill (Audio Ventures) did some speaker work for me & did a nice job. Don't know about his electronic work tho.
Did you get gear they refurbished or something they took in on trade?

Electromania on National Ave has had an integrated of mine for 9 months. I should just pick it up & find someone else.

Flanners does work & Record Head also but I don't know if they do the work or farm it out. Thats why I'm looking for recommendations.

Appreciate the tip about Ultra Fidelis - I didn't know about them.

Bill (Audio Ventures) did some speaker work for me & did a nice job. Don't know about his electronic work tho.
Did you get gear they refurbished or something they took in on trade?

Electromania on National Ave has had an integrated of mine for 9 months. I should just pick it up & find someone else.

Flanners does work & Record Head also but I don't know if they do the work or farm it out. Thats why I'm looking for recommendations.

Appreciate the tip about Ultra Fidelis - I didn't know about them.

I bought two used Mac pieces from Bill. Can't remember if Andy did work on the pieces or not. Would have been 2008/2009. A few years later I had an issue with the Power Amp and I took it in for fixing. Andy was still the tech then 2014?. Bill said they couldn't fix it??? I found that strikingly suspicious because Bill once showed me a bag of capacitors from a piece of gear Andy fixed. Let's just say I felt, with no proof mind you, Bill had other ideas for my gear. I haven't been back since. Bill and Andy do know their stuff although they throw down too much attitude for me anymore.

I just found out about Ultra Fidelis myself, from a trusted friend. I haven't been there yet, although I talked to the repair tech Bob over the phone about my Fisher tube integrated. He was very helpful and gave me some good ideas to check before I'd take it there for fixing. I thought that was very nice.

MIC

Bill is an acquired taste. Sometime after they tuned up my speakers, I went in to hear some Mac gear & because Bill " knew" what I liked, he wouldn't demo what he had because it would be a waste of time.
I have endeavored since that day to not waste his time. They are less than 5 miles from me & I'm thinking of driving to Chicago. Thats a shame but......
FWIW, turns out I like the MX112 just fine. Likely would enjoy other pieces as well.

Bill is an acquired taste. Sometime after they tuned up my speakers, I went in to hear some Mac gear & because Bill " knew" what I liked, he wouldn't demo what he had because it would be a waste of time.
I have endeavored since that day to not waste his time. They are less than 5 miles from me & I'm thinking of driving to Chicago. Thats a shame but......
FWIW, turns out I like the MX112 just fine. Likely would enjoy other pieces as well.

That is a shame. Good luck.

I talked to Bill about sorting out a 2505 amp that I had recapped about 6 or 7 years ago. I had set it aside at that time because the channels were imbalanced - output on one was slightly higher than the other based on pink noise using a sound level meter and comparing readings from both channels. He went on a 15 minute explanation that he wasn't going to fix my unit because it's old and it needs a complete restoration. He ignored my comments that this was a very clean amp - not abused and probably not used in a long time and that I had recapped the unit and installed new glass. Instead, he lectured me about aging electrolytics and why he won't just do a repair and that it will cost at least $500 - $600 to completely restore it. I would never take anything to him for servicing.

I talked to Bill about sorting out a 2505 amp that I had recapped about 6 or 7 years ago. I had set it aside at that time because the channels were imbalanced - output on one was slightly higher than the other based on pink noise using a sound level meter and comparing readings from both channels. He went on a 15 minute explanation that he wasn't going to fix my unit because it's old and it needs a complete restoration. He ignored my comments that this was a very clean amp - not abused and probably not used in a long time and that I had recapped the unit and installed new glass. Instead, he lectured me about aging electrolytics and why he won't just do a repair and that it will cost at least $500 - $600 to completely restore it. I would never take anything to him for servicing.

Where did you end up taking the amp?

I ended up taking it to Dennis at Electromania who was 10 weeks out. You should really call him if it's been 9 mos. He's worked on a TV for me before and delivered as promised. I'll bet he lost track of it. His shop is packed.

We need to get together one night, I have rebuilt Mc2100 that is easily transportable and it will give you an idea on the beauty McIntosh amps have to offer. I know how it feels to want to hear something and never have the chance, the Mc225 and Altec 604 is in that category for me. Plus it's the same vintage as your MX112 and admission is free:)

Last edited:
I ended up taking it to Dennis at Electromania who was 10 weeks out. You should really call him if it's been 9 mos. He's worked on a TV for me before and delivered as promised. I'll bet he lost track of it. His shop is packed.

I've called him several times. Dennis seems a nice guy - maybe he's overloaded, maybe his heart isn't in it anymore. Same result either way. I'll call & remind him again I guess.

Back
Top Bottom