Macbook Pro & Topping D30 DAC USB Problem

jozeppy26

I currently am trying to connect a MacBook Pro Retina (2012) to a Topping D30 DAC via USB. I've had issues with USB audio ever since Apple release El Capitan. I'm currently running Mojave 10.14.3. My Mac won't recognize the DAC (it's not listed in system information or MIDI or as an audio output option in sound preferences). I've tried numerous cords (including ones that I know have worked in the past). I've tried both USB ports. I've tried rebooting with it connected and powered "on." I've tried rebooting with it connected and powered "off." I've tried rebooting with the DAC disconnected and reconnecting the DAC when it's already powered "on." I've tried rebooting with the DAC disconnected and reconnecting the DAC when it's powered "off" and then powering it "on." I've reset SMC (once with the DAC connected and once with it disconnected). I've reset PRAM/NVRAM (once with the DAC connected and once with it disconnected). Nothing. I've tried a few other tricks in terminal and still... nothing. It was randomly recognized last week for an evening but nothing since. I'm at a complete and total loss of where to go from here. I'm about to install windows and run it in parallels. Does anyone have any other ideas for me?

Does the DAC have a changable USB mode 1 or 2?

Have you tried it on another computer? Maybe a bad unit?

Does the DAC have a changable USB mode 1 or 2?

Have you tried it on another computer? Maybe a bad unit?

There’s only one USB mode. I have not tried another computer. I’ll try my wife’s tonight (she only has USB-C ports though).

Hi,

I have a Topping D30 on both my MacMini and my Retina 2015. Running latest Mojave. Both units pick up the DAC instantly. Does it work with other computers in the household?

Quick update: I haven’t tried my wife’s MacBook as of yet but plan to sometime this week or weekend. I have tried a powered USB 3.0 hub and my Mac recognizes the hub but never the DAC. The unlock light remains illuminated red. I’ve also tried different cords and every port on my Mac and on the USB hub.

Alright well... my wife’s Mac also won’t recognize the DAC. I’m going to try a brand new USB cord tomorrow and if it doesn’t work, I’ll know it’s the DAC. I’ve only had this DAC for just over 1 year so naturally I’m a bit annoyed. :mad:

Hope this isn't too far off topic, but I'm having difficulty getting my D10 to play with my Apple Airport Express. I'm getting a message that says the Airport doesn't supply enough USB power to run the D10. Anyone else run into this? Is there a workaround?

Hope this isn't too far off topic, but I'm having difficulty getting my D10 to play with my Apple Airport Express. I'm getting a message that says the Airport doesn't supply enough USB power to run the D10. Anyone else run into this? Is there a workaround?

If you mean Topping D10, the D10 is a USB-only DAC. The only digital audio output on AE is optical. How are you trying to use it with the AE? Afaik the USB port on AE is only for printers. If you want to use an external DAC with the AE you need one with a Toslink input, the D10 isn't it.

Thanks, gvl. That's what I was afraid of. I'm trying to stream from my MBPro to the AP, which is connected to the Topping D10 by USB. I have an old Apple TV unit, too, though it's a mini USB out. Do you think I'd run into the same issue?

Thanks, gvl. That's what I was afraid of. I'm trying to stream from my MBPro to the AP, which is connected to the Topping D10 by USB. I have an old Apple TV unit, too, though it's a mini USB out. Do you think I'd run into the same issue?

I'm pretty sure none of these devices support USB audio. You have to use your Mac or PC with the D10.

Back
Top Bottom