Mach One 4024, 4024A, 4029 Information and Upgrades!

Thought I'd post that I was contacted by Videolady who contributed so much to this forum and created the Mach 1 mods along with the Nova 7's. VL's last post was around 8 years ago. We on AK had thought something bad had happened since some of VL's last posts spoke of heath issues, but VL is still with us! :)
VL did state that circumstances do not allow much time for visiting AK anymore, or devote time to the mods that VL created. VL was very pleased that the mods have been very popular and successful. Personally, it is a very positive outcome knowing VL is doing okay, hoping in the future VL can catch us up on things.
Like others I wasn’t sure if VL would be back but now that she (or he; does gender exist in the internet?) I want to extend my thanks for her inspiration and know how. It just so happens I have David Bowie howling from the great beyond via my ModMachs right now. Very nice.

And here I am so pleased with the outcome. Thanks again everyone
So you like them just as much now as you did before??? Flaws and all I luv mine, but if they can better I'm game ..but opening that tweeter ... sounds scary?? I don't much messing around with little fiddly stuff! :(

I plan on doing this same project by getting the larger custom cabinet boxes made up (3/4" MDF and larger dimensions), using the same drivers are the 4024, but with brand new woofers from Parts Express. I already have the midrange horns and tweeters with L pads. I even purchased the original front grills. Getting the custom cabinets made isn't going to be cheap. Im getting crossovers made according to VL's specs on the 4024. Only difference is my crossovers will be connected to bi amp terminals, so the woofer will be separated from the mids and tweets. With the larger boxes, I'd expect this to be an improved version of the Mach Ones, sort of a Mach One Special Edition. I haven't quite decided on what finish to make with the veneers. Either a Rosewood color or maybe very light blonde (basically wood color with a gloss coat). So these won't look like the originals, but more so an updated one.

I plan on doing this same project by getting the larger custom cabinet boxes made up (3/4" MDF and larger dimensions), using the same drivers are the 4024, but with brand new woofers from Parts Express. I already have the midrange horns and tweeters with L pads. I even purchased the original front grills. Getting the custom cabinets made isn't going to be cheap. Im getting crossovers made according to VL's specs on the 4024. Only difference is my crossovers will be connected to bi amp terminals, so the woofer will be separated from the mids and tweets. With the larger boxes, I'd expect this to be an improved version of the Mach Ones, sort of a Mach One Special Edition. I haven't quite decided on what finish to make with the veneers. Either a Rosewood color or maybe very light blonde (basically wood color with a gloss coat). So these won't look like the originals, but more so an updated one.
It's a fun and rewarding project, it taught me quite a bit about speakers and how everything works together. Look forward to your progress!

Back in Video Lady's posts way back, she showed two pictures of the crossover for this speaker (the modified crossovers). One was a simple crossover with 2 to 3 parts per speaker. Then she showed a 8th Order complex crossover for this speaker. On that picture she showed a 4th speaker- a sub. I do not plan on adding a sub to this speaker box, so if I removed the sub portion, do the other parts for the woofer still apply? Or would it need to be modified to go into sub territory? Or should I just stick with the simple crossover? See pictures below.

Last edited:
Back in Video Lady's posts way back, she showed two pictures of the crossover for this speaker (the modified crossovers). One was a simple crossover with 2 to 3 parts per speaker. Then she showed a 8th Order complex crossover for this speaker. On that picture she showed a 4th speaker- a sub. I do not plan on adding a sub to this speaker box, so if I removed the sub portion, do the other parts for the woofer still apply? Or would it need to be modified to go into sub territory? Or should I just stick with the simple crossover? See pictures below.
I doubt it since the woofer in this schematic is crossed for mostly midbass.

This is the schematic I used for my Tier 1 mods, it's a 4029 crossover with mods but is used for the 4024 and 4024A also.

20181202_150736.jpg

I have one last pair of aluminum L-pad plates left, there will be no more after these are gone unless someone else makes some. You can private message me if you are interested.

View attachment 1221000
Hi Steve, I just found a pair of 4024A's on the side of the road last night, the cabinets need to be completely redone...I see yours are larger than stock, what is the recommended cabinet size if i have to make new ones anyway?
Thanks a lot to all contributing soooo much information. I f this has been already answered, maybe just the post number! Thanks again

Hi Steve, I just found a pair of 4024A's on the side of the road last night, the cabinets need to be completely redone...I see yours are larger than stock, what is the recommended cabinet size if i have to make new ones anyway?
Thanks a lot to all contributing soooo much information. I f this has been already answered, maybe just the post number! Thanks again

My cabinets measure 36" T x 18" W x 14" D

Layout sketch should help you also.

Mach 1 modded cabinet.jpg
Mach 1 modded.JPG

Thanks Steve, great info, i have also found your own post that you started.
I tested the speakers yesterday, and they sound better than i would have hoped for.
With some EQ from my Raspberry PI + Allo DAC and running MoodePlayer, i was able to remove the harshness of the highs and improve on the 1kHz dip, as well as clean up the lows. Sounds good for roadkill speakers. LOL
Now i guess it's time for my first cabinet building project...

Attachments

• 2018-12-28 11_56_29.png
    2018-12-28 11_56_29.png
    600.6 KB · Views: 38
Thanks Steve, great info, i have also found your own post that you started.
I tested the speakers yesterday, and they sound better than i would have hoped for.
With some EQ from my Raspberry PI + Allo DAC and running MoodePlayer, i was able to remove the harshness of the highs and improve on the 1kHz dip, as well as clean up the lows. Sounds good for roadkill speakers. LOL
Now i guess it's time for my first cabinet building project...
Merry ChristMACH’s :)

My cabinets measure 36" T x 18" W x 14" D

Layout sketch should help you also.

View attachment 1368093
View attachment 1368100
Hello Steve, I'm new to this forum, only recently having found VL's Model 4029 Level 1 upgrade paper.

I had - past tense - HAD a set of 4024s, until the cabinets and woofers were destroyed. Now have new drivers and the time to build new cabinets, my numbers producing a cabinet of slightly different size than yours. If I may ask - since I seem to have missed this - what is the material you're using? I'm looking at using 25 or 32mm solid-core WBP plywood, CNC-routed for most solid fit, front and rear covers glued in place but with an inspection / access panel in the rear to service the crossover network if necessary.

Plus I have what may be a dumb question: In the copy of FL's paper that I have, it mentions Level 2 upgrades to follow. Do you know whether a Level 2 upgrade paper was published, and if so, where I can find it.

Last - please forward my very best wishes to VL!

Thank you!

Hello Steve, I'm new to this forum, only recently having found VL's Model 4029 Level 1 upgrade paper.

I had - past tense - HAD a set of 4024s, until the cabinets and woofers were destroyed. Now have new drivers and the time to build new cabinets, my numbers producing a cabinet of slightly different size than yours. If I may ask - since I seem to have missed this - what is the material you're using? I'm looking at using 25 or 32mm solid-core WBP plywood, CNC-routed for most solid fit, front and rear covers glued in place but with an inspection / access panel in the rear to service the crossover network if necessary.

Plus I have what may be a dumb question: In the copy of FL's paper that I have, it mentions Level 2 upgrades to follow. Do you know whether a Level 2 upgrade paper was published, and if so, where I can find it.

Last - please forward my very best wishes to VL!

Thank you!
I don't think any tier 2 documents were published, I know VL took it to a Tier 3 but never published either before leaving AK. I did send an email to see if VL still has documentation, and possibly provide it. I will post back if I hear any news from VL. My cabinets were made from 3/4" MDF for my build.

I don't think any tier 2 documents were published, I know VL took it to a Tier 3 but never published either before leaving AK. I did send an email to see if VL still has documentation, and possibly provide it. I will post back if I hear any news from VL. My cabinets were made from 3/4" MDF for my build.
Thank you, will wait - - hoping she still has any such documentation.

Back
Top Bottom