Macintosh 1500 vs Onkyo A-7

The one without the headshell needs a 50-100 buck headshell, but he probably has it.

When you look over the MAC be sure to note any rust, discoloration, issues, beauty marks, anything that isn't pristine NEW as that is what brings the money for that brand's used gear. Folks with money want the good stuff, not some woreslapout pos for cheap. Get the paperwork and any boxes, too. Boxes for the MAC are worth over 50 but probably less than a c-note.
And yes, I think he did have a head shell for the Thorens that's missing one in the pic.

If you want it go with the money to but it and ask if he will take less and find a price you both like. The fact that the MAC is below fair resale value is a great way to try stuff if you can and will resell it if it isn't a permanent part of the rig. But it might be and then what about the 7 is it on the block or the centerpiece of a second rig? Do you need the cash to feed the family? If not what's a few extra bucks spent that give you paper profits until the unit is sold and may give you sonic improvement while you enjoy it?

If you want it go with the money to but it and ask if he will take less and find a price you both like. The fact that the MAC is below fair resale value is a great way to try stuff if you can and will resell it if it isn't a permanent part of the rig. But it might be and then what about the 7 is it on the block or the centerpiece of a second rig? Do you need the cash to feed the family? If not what's a few extra bucks spent that give you paper profits until the unit is sold and may give you sonic improvement while you enjoy it?
Good point! It still is below market value, and I'll sell the Kenwood 6160 I'm using in my office and put the Onkyo A-7 out there. If it turns out I want to sell the McIntosh at some point, I can easily pick up another Kenwood. For whatever reason, it seems to kick ass in that small space. Probably because my "office" is a quonset hut in the backyard. Amazing acoustics! Thanks for all the input. Oh, one last question Blue Shadow. Any thoughts on what the Thorens should sell for?

Can't talk value I any forum but dollars and sense. I'm sure there are a few posts discussing these turntables. Just search that forum

Can't talk value I any forum but dollars and sense. I'm sure there are a few posts discussing these turntables. Just search that forum
Gotcha. I'm a newbie here as well as to hi-fi in general. Didn't realize about the separate forums. Thanks for the tip.

The 1500 is a great piece, rivaling the classic Fisher tube receivers of the day, once fully electrically restored. It's old. From the information provided it does not sound close to being fully electrically restored. I would take that under advisement. Unless you have access to an experienced Mac tech(assuming you're not going to do the work yourself) I would be very cautious. If something does go wrong and you can't fix it, and you decide to sell, obviously the price you get is going to be affected.

I would love to own a 1500, but only if I could get it restored. And those sell for a lot more then what you're paying.

The 1500 is a great piece, rivaling the classic Fisher tube receivers of the day, once fully electrically restored. It's old. From the information provided it does not sound close to being fully electrically restored. I would take that under advisement. Unless you have access to an experienced Mac tech(assuming you're not going to do the work yourself) I would be very cautious. If something does go wrong and you can't fix it, and you decide to sell, obviously the price you get is going to be affected.

I would love to own a 1500, but only if I could get it restored. And those sell for a lot more then what you're paying.
This is very helpful. Can you tell me what sorts of other restorations it would need? I can ask the seller if he's done them. And I will be able to gauge the costs of getting it fully up to speed. There are people in the Boston area who can work on these, but they're not cheap. And I'm not handy at all. Can barely hammer a nail.

This is very helpful. Can you tell me what sorts of other restorations it would need? I can ask the seller if he's done them. And I will be able to gauge the costs of getting it fully up to speed. There are people in the Boston area who can work on these, but they're not cheap. And I'm not handy at all. Can barely hammer a nail.

Honestly I'm not handy either, but I've been buying and selling gear long enough to know that a full restoration by a qualified expert(and there are experts, and then there are Mac experts) is required with tube gear that is as old as the 1500. I would want to know who did the work, and what they're background is. I'd probably like to have somebody there that is more fluent in this stuff then me to take a look, or at least be able to take a picture of the insides to show somebody who knows about this stuff for an opinion.

Here's a good primer to take a look at that may provide some help. Good luck.

http://www.vintagetubeaudio.com/Amplifier_Restoration.html

Honestly I'm not handy either, but I've been buying and selling gear long enough to know that a full restoration by a qualified expert(and there are experts, and then there are Mac experts) is required with tube gear that is as old as the 1500. I would want to know who did the work, and what they're background is. I'd probably like to have somebody there that is more fluent in this stuff then me to take a look, or at least be able to take a picture of the insides to show somebody who knows about this stuff for an opinion.

Here's a good primer to take a look at that may provide some help. Good luck.

http://www.vintagetubeaudio.com/Amplifier_Restoration.html
This is very helpful. Thanks. And no need to reply again (you've done more already), but if you are interested, here's a picture of the inside of the 1500.

Attachments

• 41666380_308581109926119_8096878080200540160_n.png
    41666380_308581109926119_8096878080200540160_n.png
    119.5 KB · Views: 17
This is very helpful. Thanks. And no need to reply again (you've done more already), but if you are interested, here's a picture of the inside of the 1500.

Post that in the MAC forums ask for thoughts. Several good folks over there that know a lot more then I ever will.

Back
Top Bottom